Author Topic: More about the laptop searches - finally, Feingold makes sense  (Read 3592 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Chertoff Misleads on Laptop Searches, Feingold Charges

Democratic Sen. Russ Feingold opposes border agents searching through Americans' laptops without cause, and he doesn't like how Homeland Security Chief Michael Chertoff articulated the government's current policy in an interview with Threat Level on Monday.

In that conversation, Chertoff said that in practice, border agents rely on a real suspicion to decide whose laptop to look into or even seize, but that he opposes creating a legal standard for searching Americans' electronics at the border since it would just lead to too much litigation.

Feingold, an outspoken civil libertarian -- the only senator to vote against the Patriot Act -- begs to differ.

Secretary Chertoff's description of the newly published DHS policy on laptop searches was not just misleading  it was flat-out wrong. In an interview with Wired.com, the Secretary stated that "[w]e only do [laptop searches] when we put you into secondary [screening] and we only put you into secondary [screening] ... when there is a reason to suspect something."

But the actual policy that DHS published says the exact opposite. It does not even mention secondary screening, let alone limit laptop searches to those cases, and it expressly states that Americans' laptops may be searched "absent individualized suspicion."     

Secretary Chertoff's blatant mischaracterization of the DHS policy contradicts his claim to be engaging in greater "openness and transparency" on this important issue. His statements make it clearer than ever that as we work to protect our national security, Congress must also act to protect law-abiding Americans against highly intrusive searches.

DHS spokesman Russ Knocke dismissed Feingold's statement, calling it "sour grapes and paranoia from someone who can't accept that even the 9th Circuit ruled that what we're doing is constitutional."

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, considered the most liberal of the appeals circuit, ruled in May that border agents did not need any reason to look through a laptop, reversing a lower court that decided that laptops were closer to extensions of ourselves, than the modern analogue of a suitcase.

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/08/chertoff-mislea.html

I hate to say it, but I approve of Senator Feingold doing this.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: More about the laptop searches - finally, Feingold makes sense
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 08:39:38 AM »
Skeletor needs to go. I lost my patience with that idiot back when he threatened NH for passing a law declaring that NH would not comply with RealID.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 08:13:56 PM »
Skeletor needs to go. I lost my patience with that idiot back when he threatened NH for passing a law declaring that NH would not comply with RealID.

Quite, but he's right on this one.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 08:32:27 PM »

Skeletor is Chertoff's nickname.  Because that's what he kind of looks like:

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 09:22:15 AM »

Skeletor is Chertoff's nickname.  Because that's what he kind of looks like:

Oh.

I'm going to have to apologize, then.

But still. Chertoff (which literally means 'of the Devil') doesn't need to go. His AGENCY needs to go.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 03:28:01 AM »
there is plenty of government that needs to go. the question is do we have the nerve to do it as a country.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 06:38:24 AM »
there is plenty of government that needs to go. the question is do we have the nerve to do it as a country.

Nope.  Too many proles happy to suckle the .gov teat.  Liberty will continue to be steamrolled as long as there are subsidies of the poor.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 01:10:22 PM »

No.

Or rather, America as a country does not have the nerve to remove the cancer FAST . This was proven in this election cycle already.

Chipping away at it may prove a better strategic option.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 03:49:25 PM »
Chertoff, aka, the Pop-Eyed Excresence.

Kinda looks like an anorexic Colonel Klink. Somebody airmail him a monocle.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 05:18:25 PM »

No.

Or rather, America as a country does not have the nerve to remove the cancer FAST . This was proven in this election cycle already.

Chipping away at it may prove a better strategic option.

Worked for the IRA.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 11:42:10 AM »
Chertoff, aka, the Pop-Eyed Excresence.

Kinda looks like an anorexic Colonel Klink. Somebody airmail him a monocle.

I would love to see him photochopped into Klink's outfit w/ monocle.....
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.