Author Topic: I am the klutziest man alive.  (Read 3682 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
I am the klutziest man alive.
« on: August 18, 2008, 07:22:13 AM »
Last week, Tuesday night, I threw out my back reaching for a bottle of juice in the bottom of the fridge.

I couldn't sit, stand, or lie down. Worse, Mrs. Dual was at her part-time night-job, and I was home alone with my two sets of twin toddler-age girls. I had to crab-crawl up and down the stairs a few times for crying, nightmares, and give back dropped blankets and stuffed animals, probably doing yet more damage. So I sort of squat-crawled about the house until Mrs. Dual came home at 9:30. I insisted I just needed to rest, somehow get flat, and I could sleep it off.

When Mrs. Dual saw I could not lie on the bed other than by rolling onto it, and grabbing my knees to my chest and staying in that position, she demanded we go to the hospital. I gave in, we called a grandparent to come over to house-sit the sleeping girls, and we went to the E.R. Luckily it was a slow night, and I spent no time waiting (squatting?) in "chairs".  Being polite, non-combative, middle-class, English-speaking non drug-seekers, I got some very friendly service from the RN and the attending.

I got some Vallium pills and a shot of (Dilauded?) and and a few good Rx's for the following days so I could lie flat and sleep. Which I did immediately after staggering into the house with Mrs. Dual assisting. The next morning Mrs. Dual called work for me, and let me sleep in and somehow managed to get all four of our toddler girls out of the house to YMCA day-camp without waking me.

When she got home Mrs. Dual woke me, saw I was still walking bent at a 90 degree angle, and suggested I take a hot shower to try and loosen my back up. Since standing bent over in a wet slippery confined space is not a very natural act, I eventually face planted into the side of the enamel/cast-iron bathtub. I tried to stop myself with my arms, but the sudden movment was like knives in my back, and my arms only moved enough to knock over all the soaps and shampoo bottles down with me.

And as I rolled out of the shower, Mrs. Dual noted that I had a knot on my head which looked, according her, like "I had a breast implant in my forehead." or "One of the rubber-butt forehead aliens out of Star-Trek".

Other than my head hurting, I thought I felt no worse, until lunch, when I threw up, and according to Mrs. Dual, got "goofy", so back to the E.R. we went. (hint) When you come in a wheelchair with a lump on your head the size of a lemon, a barf-bucket in your lap, and slurred speech, you get seen quickly... And apparently while we were in the ER bay, I alternately couldn't stay awake, didn't know the day, and kept forgetting what Mrs. Dual told me just a few minutes earlier.

I also got mad when I thought my EKG leads were a catheter, and then later was furious at Mrs. Dual because I thought we were all in a car accident and she should have been at Children's Hospital with our girls instead of me. Fortunately, other than the lump outside my skull, and the normal grey matter, (I'm suspicious that Mrs. Dual may have laid odds with one of the RN's it would be completely empty, but was in no condition to confirm it...) the CAT scan was clear, and after a few hours of observation while they finally let me sleep, I was discharged. Other than forgetting Mrs. Dual telling me to wait for her to come around and help me, and falling out of the car when we got home and skinning my knuckles and knee, I was better, if walking like a hunchback.

Unfortunately, instead of just turning my forehead colors, all the blood leaked into my eyes and started swelling them shut.

Here I am last night before both eyes went, holding my left eye open with some bandaids so I could watch TV. (Mrs. Dual thought the "Hello Kitty" one for the kids was cute, didn't tell me until after the picture was taken.)

(note, you can't even really see the lump at this point, as it evenly covers almost my whole forehead by now....)

Here they are Thursday, when I just gave up, and I started holding my eyes open with my fingers when I needed to shuffle about for bathroom runs.

Now I'm back at work. My eye-sockets are every color of the rainbow but at least I can see without propping my eyes open. But my eyeballs themselves are all bloodshot and yellow, making me look like an infected lab worker crawling out of a tunnel, and Mila Jojovich should be dispatching me John Woo-style with a pair of HK MP5-K's…

It's now official, I am the klutziest man on earth.
I promise not to duck.

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: I am the klutziest man alive.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 07:31:10 AM »
Wow twin, twins.  No wonder you hurt yourself to get out of diaper duty.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 07:42:13 AM »
The "Hello Kitty" band-aids are a nice touch.  grin
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 07:42:54 AM »
I suggest you watch movies with Peter Sellers while recovering.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 08:30:38 AM »
Wow twin, twins.  No wonder you hurt yourself to get out of diaper duty.

No such luck. They're now aged three and four. (all overlapping at the same age for three weeks each summer) It seemed like unending work at the time, but when they were in diapers, and you were changing 20-30 a day, you got quite good at it.

And er... with the female anatomy, wiping is quicker and a bit more streamlined. It got to be almost something like the first stages in a chicken processing plant, or perhaps mass wildlife animal tagging, assembly-line style. You'd grab the soiled child by the ankles, yank their feet out from under them, lay down a fresh diaper, rip off the old one, wipe, wipe, wipe, close the new diaper, then let them run off.

Total time, two minutes elapsed.

Now that they're all potty "trained", they want to mess around in the bathroom for hours, read, take coloring books with them, explore the medicine cabinets etc. (If you should ever want to know what a young girl being murdered sounds like, leave one unattended long enough to apply alchohol gel hand-sanitizer to her private parts...) More deviously, they know if they claim they're still "going", you can't make them vacate the pot, and they take delight in the discomfort of the next sibling anxiously dancing about holding her crotch and screaming like some demented Michael Jackson-esque square dancer.

Diapers was easier. Believe it or not.
I promise not to duck.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 08:38:37 AM »
Hello Kitty will make the boo boo all better.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 09:31:36 AM »
good god man you make me appreciate only being bossed around by mine. identical twins?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 09:46:56 AM »
good god man you make me appreciate only being bossed around by mine. identical twins?

Fraternal (technically for girls it's "sororal" like "sorority") four year old girls, and identical three year old girls. Born eleven months and a week apart.

www.walkowiaks.com (way, way, way out of date...)
I promise not to duck.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 10:38:48 AM »
So, after the twins duos, are you trying for any more?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 12:53:58 PM »
All of the kidding aside, are you OK now? Have the docs looked closely at your back?

Man, that must have hurt like hell.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 03:17:32 PM »
Now that they're all potty "trained", they want to mess around in the bathroom for hours, read, take coloring books with them, explore the medicine cabinets etc.

I would you suggest that you order a port-o-potty for yourself once they hit the teenage years...you're never going to see the inside of the bathroom once the get to be around ~10 years old....  grin
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 08:06:28 PM »
Now that they're all potty "trained", they want to mess around in the bathroom for hours, read, take coloring books with them, explore the medicine cabinets etc.

I would you suggest that you order a port-o-potty for yourself once they hit the teenage years...you're never going to see the inside of the bathroom once the get to be around ~10 years old....  grin

No you need to start work on the man cave now.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 08:37:05 PM »
"AJ Dual's Series of Unfotunate Events"

angel
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 08:47:15 PM »
Ditto on the rest of the pain - how's the back doing?  undecided
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 10:02:10 PM »
I must say the Hello Kitty does make you appear less like a sociopath.  But you have my fullest sympathies on the back pain.  Dilaudid is just about the only thing that will ease it when it first happens to me.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 03:55:50 AM »
You have my greatest sympathy.....I threw my back out in Feb of this year.  Second time that it put me flat out.  Ruined my cycling season, too.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 04:07:54 AM »
If you should ever want to know what a young girl being murdered sounds like, leave one unattended long enough to apply alchohol gel hand-sanitizer to her private parts...)

Reminds me of the time Sammi wanted to put on lotion like Mommy did.  Since Mommy wouldn't give a three year old a tube of lotion, said three year old raided the food pantry....let's see....what has the consistancy of body cream.....hmmm....peanut butter will work.....

Head to toe, but naked, running around the house covered in peanut butter....
One day at a time.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 04:12:23 AM »
If you should ever want to know what a young girl being murdered sounds like, leave one unattended long enough to apply alchohol gel hand-sanitizer to her private parts...)

Reminds me of the time Sammi wanted to put on lotion like Mommy did.  Since Mommy wouldn't give a three year old a tube of lotion, said three year old raided the food pantry....let's see....what has the consistancy of body cream.....hmmm....peanut butter will work.....

Head to toe, but naked, running around the house covered in peanut butter....

The only thing that would make that funnier is if there was a dog chasing to try and lick off the peanut butter.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 04:27:16 AM »
There were actually two dogs chasing her.....
One day at a time.