Author Topic: McCain and "Gun Shows"  (Read 15082 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: McCain and "Gun Shows"
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 05:52:37 PM »
Sorry, but a Ron Paul shirt, worn around here, makes people move away from the person as if they're the Unabomber.

That's a claim I see you making all the time. Unfortunately, I know multiple people who live in the same geographical area as you do [New Hampshire], who, let us say, disagree with your statement.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2008, 06:00:11 PM »
What about big-bore single-shots?........

Sure it wouldn't be more of a short action rimfire? grin

Just call me "Mr. Henry .44".....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2008, 06:03:18 PM »
Sorry, but a Ron Paul shirt, worn around here, makes people move away from the person as if they're the Unabomber.

That's a claim I see you making all the time. Unfortunately, I know multiple people who live in the same geographical area as you do [New Hampshire], who, let us say, disagree with your statement.

Yup. They're the people being avoided.

Or arrested. Repeatedly. Usually for refusing to have a registration sticker on their car.

But it's fighting the maaaaaan... cheesy

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2008, 06:05:44 PM »
I'm sorry, I've not heard of any of the people I communicate with on a regular basis being arrested.

Oh, and of course, you're right. Civil disobedients are precisely the same as child rapists and violent criminals, let's all cheer as they get beat on.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2008, 05:07:27 AM »

Your brand is irrecoverably tainted by the kooks.

Oh, dearie me, yes!  We must be wary of those offending KOOKS!

Meanwhile, the Communist Party endorsement of Obama is just another notch in his belt.

But thank GAWD we've ostracized those deadly KOOKS who are so radical as to refuse to register their cars and such.  Scary, scary folk, those kooks.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2008, 05:20:15 AM »
But thank GAWD we've ostracized those deadly KOOKS who are so radical as to refuse to register their cars and such.  Scary, scary folk, those kooks.

The second to most recent one arrested for not being registered also was doing 60 in a 35 zone in a residential area... and then they threw themselves to the ground and made the police drag them to the cruiser. Really mature, that.

The most recent, as mentioned in the local news, had also recently been under a court order for refusing to pay child support.

These were both Free Staters and Ron Paul disciples.

Real winners. cheesy

MrRezister

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2008, 05:29:38 AM »
I'm sure they were perfectly normal before that crazy mind-altering Ron Paul made the scene.  Damn him!  And to think that I visited his website!  I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I start burning my driver's liscence and wearing my Wookie costume to the local Anarchist's Guild meetings.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2008, 05:31:58 AM »
I'm sure they were perfectly normal before that crazy mind-altering Ron Paul made the scene.  Damn him!  And to think that I visited his website!  I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I start burning my driver's liscence and wearing my Wookie costume to the local Anarchist's Guild meetings.

Normal, well-adjusted people have accepted the fact that he is no longer in the race.

MrRezister

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2008, 05:57:05 AM »
And lot's of subnormal, maladjusted people will be voting for McCain or Obama.  What's your point?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2008, 02:55:17 PM »
you just proved his point.   hows the price on those liberty dollars?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2008, 03:15:11 PM »
I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I start burning my driver's liscence and wearing my Wookie costume to the local Anarchist's Guild meetings.

Bah!  True anarchists have no truck with that meddling bunch of busybodies in the guild.  Ask yourself this: If they're such anarchists, why do they keep hassling their members for fees?  Fascist pigs.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MrRezister

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2008, 04:37:40 PM »

You'll kindly note that I wasn't the first to mention Paul in this thread, and I haven't said anything at all about voting for him since he dropped out.  But please, continue attempting to insult me, it's cool.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2008, 04:40:16 PM »
And lot's of subnormal, maladjusted people will be voting for McCain or Obama.  What's your point?

you didn't post that then snivel about being insulted... did ya? grin
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MrRezister

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2008, 06:34:31 PM »
I hate having to point it out, but once more, I wasn't the first to question anyone's level of normalcy or adjustment.  And I didn't base my assumption solely upon anyone's choice of Presidential candidate.  As for the "sniveling" thing.... wah, I guess.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2008, 05:52:47 PM »
Normal, well-adjusted people have accepted the fact that he is no longer in the race.

McRezister didn't say he'll vote for him, did he?

A copper $1 Ron Paul dollar brings $22 on Ebay.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2008, 07:52:18 PM »
If Paul's people are smart, they're going to form some form of long-term organisation based on their donor lists - like Goldwater's people did - and use it to organize future fundraising, donations, and activism of various kinds.

We'll see if they're smart.

They did all that about 2 months ago.  http://www.campaignforliberty.com/

The second to most recent one arrested for not being registered also was doing 60 in a 35 zone in a residential area... and then they threw themselves to the ground and made the police drag them to the cruiser. Really mature, that.

The most recent, as mentioned in the local news, had also recently been under a court order for refusing to pay child support.

These were both Free Staters and Ron Paul disciples.

Real winners.

I'm not much of a fan of this tactic.  Individual incidents don't really mean a whole lot to me.  In fact, if you're able to focus on individual incidents it just shows me that there's really no major problem within a specific demographic.  The Brady Bunch http://www.bradycampaign.org/blog/category/law-abiding-gun-owner/"" target="_blank">tries to do this with gun owners.  David Codrea http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=%22only+ones%22+site%3Awaronguns.blogspot.com&lr=lang_en"" target="_blank">tries doing this with police officers.

Now, if you could cite a study that said something like 60% of Free Staters or Ron Paul supporters had criminal records, that'd be interesting.  Heck, even 1%.

The Brady Campaign uses this tactic in an attempt to paint 80,000,000 gun owners as being responsible for the roughly 30,000 gun related deaths every year.  That's 0.03% of gun owners killing somebody.  If you break it down by firearms (270 million) that's 0.01% of guns being involved in a death.

David, on average, posts about 4 "Only Ones" stories every working day.  That's about 1280 a year.  In a country where there's 1 policeman for every 300 people that's 0.12% of all police.

It's an interesting tactic, and it does work to some extent, but I'm of the opinion that it only works when you're just trying to reinforce a pre-existing bias or emotional response of those listening to you.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2008, 06:07:34 AM »
They did all that about 2 months ago.  http://www.campaignforliberty.com/

You don't know that yet - I'm going to wait for Sep 2 to see Ron actually announce what the CFL will be doing.

Right now it's just a list of names.

While I agree with your general argument, I'd like to point out the following:

1. Lying on the ground and forcing law enforcement to drag you is a legitimate method of civil disobedience.

2. The Free State Project does not engage in any organizing or activism whatsoever in NH. It's goal is only to bring the FSPers to NH.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2008, 08:20:45 AM »
That's 0.03% of gun owners killing somebody.

And half of those killed themselves  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Orange_Magnum

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2008, 05:06:10 PM »
I hope McCain declares the machingun ban unconstitutional. I know I will write him a letter about it if he wins. In fact, several, reminding him.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2008, 05:15:44 PM »
I hope McCain declares the machingun ban unconstitutional.
It wouldn't matter if he did... the POTUS can't just change laws.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2008, 05:21:35 PM »
I hope McCain declares the machingun ban unconstitutional.
It wouldn't matter if he did... the POTUS can't just change laws.

No, but he can do other, equally fun stuff about gun laws.

He can repeal the import bans - he won't, but he can.

He can also take guns off the NFA by executive order.