Author Topic: Olympic Softball  (Read 2565 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Olympic Softball
« on: August 21, 2008, 04:02:09 AM »
Just finished watching the Olympic Softball Gold Medal game between the US and Japan.

We lost 3-1.  What burns my hide is the fact we had beat Japan 4-1 in a "Semi-final" game.

Canada lost to Australia in the other.  But in the weird bracketing once they got the final four set the brackets were 1v2 and 3v4.

1 USA
2 Japan
3 Australia
4 Canada

USA beat Japan and moved on to the Gold Medal Game.  Australia beat Canada and moved on to play Japan since Japan lost.  Canada is done, no medal.

Japan beats Australia, Australia gets the bronze by losing.  Japan gets another chance at the USA and unfortunately for us wins 2-1 for the gold.  We settle for silver.

We lose one game in how many years and it happens to be a gold medal game against a team we had already beat twice. angry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softball_at_the_2008_Summer_Olympics

Link above to the tourny results.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
Re: Olympic Softball
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 04:06:14 AM »
That's why you play the game.

That said, the primary reason for eliminating softball is that it wasn't a competition: United States dominant.

I guess not...

This is better for the sport, per se.
Zeke

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 05:22:58 AM »
That said, the primary reason for eliminating softball is that it wasn't a competition: United States dominant.

So we should eliminate games in which the US is dominate?

Chris

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 09:38:57 AM »
It was all my fault.  I actually watched some of the game and must have given them bad luck.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Iain

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 09:44:53 AM »
Chris

Baseball is gone in 2012. Not that you dominate.

Seriously - only about 8 nations compete in baseball at the Olympics. The argument against cricket and rugby is that not enough nations take part in it - well Rugby 7's would feature very competitive teams from Fiji, Samoa, NZ, Aus, South Africa, France, Argentina, GB, Ireland, Italy, Russia and less competitive teams from Romania, US, Canada, Portugal, Namibia, Kenya and others.

Lose baseball for Rugby 7's. Or 20/20 cricket.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 10:26:30 AM »
Lose baseball for Rugby 7's
Absolutely.  That would be awesome.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 10:48:10 AM »
It was all my fault.  I actually watched some of the game and must have given them bad luck.
I've done that with the Red Sox, usually against the Yankees. I don't think I've ever seen a game where the Red sox beat the Yankees and always felt like a jinx because of it.  In other words if the RS are playing the Yanks and I'm watching, Boston will lose.  sad

laugh
Avoid cliches like the plague!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 01:20:58 PM »
I've done that with the Red Sox, usually against the Yankees. I don't think I've ever seen a game where the Red sox beat the Yankees and always felt like a jinx because of it.  In other words if the RS are playing the Yanks and I'm watching, Boston will lose.  sad

laugh

Could you do us a favor and post when you will be watching a game at least a couple of days ahead of time?  I want to get some bets in.

Ezekiel

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 02:22:52 PM »

Chris

That was one of the reasons given: a sport wherein a single country maintains dominance is not, truly, a competition and is not in the spirit of such.
Zeke

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 02:55:50 PM »

Chris

That was one of the reasons given: a sport wherein a single country maintains dominance is not, truly, a competition and is not in the spirit of such.

Wouldn't it be more in the spirit of competition for the other competitors to improve their game?  Seems kind of weak to advocate doing away with a sport because one team is stronger than the rest.  Wonder if I can use that in the real world, "We should do away with merit based pay raises because Tom so consistently performs better than the rest of us...".

Chris

Ezekiel

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 03:35:41 PM »

Chris

Wouldn't it be more in the spirit of competition for the other competitors to improve their game?  Seems kind of weak to advocate doing away with a sport because one team is stronger than the rest.  Wonder if I can use that in the real world, "We should do away with merit based pay raises because Tom so consistently performs better than the rest of us...".

Chris

It certainly undercuts the "lack of competition" vote when we LOST.
Zeke

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 04:10:08 PM »
Ok, I'm missing something here.  I thought the "lack of competition" excuse was because we dominated the sport.  I'll admit I watch little, if any, of the Olympics.

Chris

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 04:29:43 PM »

laugh
Not a problem...  laugh

Could you do us a favor and post when you will be watching a game at least a couple of days ahead of time?  I want to get some bets in.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 12:21:58 PM »
What's wrong with losing to Japan?  Isn't baseball a pretty important sport over there? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 12:40:29 PM »
The argument against cricket .....

Is that the matches would still be going on years after the Olympics were over.....

cheesy laugh rolleyes grin
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.