Author Topic: Wow.... 25th high school class reunion coming up next month...  (Read 12228 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Wow.... 25th high school class reunion coming up next month...
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2008, 11:38:00 AM »
600+ in my graduating class.  I probably didn't know 50 of them to say "hi" to.

I don't think I've (knowingly) seen one of them since then, except maybe for one gal that was a daughter of a lady that my mom worked with.

If you come across a burned out bridge, then you're probably on my (very cold) trail  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2008, 11:49:44 AM »
64 in the class of '80 in my little town. Made the 10th and the 20th, looking forward to the 30th so I can silently gloat about how much more successful I am than some of the  "pretty people" turned out to be.
So far as those I stay in touch with know we have only had one croak so far and his was a suspicious "accidental drug overdose" that coincidently happened at about the same time 2 of his buddies also died from "accidental causes".
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Iain

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2008, 12:42:21 PM »
Between 11 and 18 I went to four different schools.

I'm in regular contact with two people from those days. Have a couple of others on facebook.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2008, 12:52:23 PM »
Yup, the kid considered to be the major badass of the class turned into a skinny bald wimpy lookin' thing. Married one of the cheerleaders he did, she keeps a pretty tight reign on him from what I can tell. yes, we're talking whipped here.  laugh

One of the guys I hung around with a lot could not place who I was at the 25th, two weeks later he had a heart attack and died. 43 yo. I went to the 30th and there he was on the "Dead List". Bit of a shocker there. yes, the dead list just keeps getting longer. I guess as long as I don't find myself on it I'm doing ok.  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2008, 01:14:21 PM »
Went to my 40th last fall.  We had over 70 in attendance at our dance, out of a class of 212.  We were always a very close class though.  Thirteen are deceased, almost half from suicides (some in the class went straight from graduation to Vietnam.  No one was killed there, but it was the major cause of the suicides, I believe).

We had a great time.  We participated in homecoming as honored guests.  In the homecoming parade, we had two 1955 Belairs and a 1961 Impala, whose owners had kept them since high school.   I drove my 1950 John Deere pulling my parade wagon with about 15 classmates piled on it.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2008, 01:26:33 PM »
The nice thing about the 40th is that everybody has either made it or not, and nobody cares.

The woman with the long blond hair on the wagon is a stripper (if you can imagine a 58 year old stripper).  Thing is, it didn't matter.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2008, 01:29:36 PM »
Nice pic, can we assume that's you on the tractor?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2008, 02:23:41 PM »
My high school was in the Puget Sound area, MillCreek.  Where did you attend?  Or play hooky from?   laugh

Renton!  The Unsynchronized Traffic Light Capital of the Universe!

Ah, yes.  Issaquah for me.  At the time they had only a couple of traffic lights.  Now they have a gazillion or so, and I doubt they are synchronized, either.   cheesy
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2008, 03:33:52 PM »
i went to the 30th just torub the fact im alive in somefolks face. and in spite of the bad living in better shape than most of em
nocredit here its genetics
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »

Ah, yes.  Issaquah for me.  At the time they had only a couple of traffic lights.  Now they have a gazillion or so, and I doubt they are synchronized, either.   cheesy
As a teenager, I volunteered as a firefighter/EMT for Fire District 10 there in Issaquah.  This was back when I also could do hang-gliding at the gravel quarry fronting I-90, and the sailplane/skydiving strip was there in town as well.  Issaquah is pretty much a bedroom community for Microsoft now. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2008, 11:15:41 PM »
MillCreek, depending on when that was, we may have known a few of the same folks.  I had a friend that was an EMT/firefighter in Dist. 10.   This was in the early/mid '70s.
The sailplanes and skydivers used to go right over our house.  Depending on the winds, the skydivers sometimes appeared to drop almost over our place up on the foot of Squak Mtn.  We'd watch them drift down toward the strip, but they'd disappear behind the trees that blocked our view down the valley.  Lots of fun to watch in the summer.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2008, 03:58:05 AM »
I happily missed my official 10 year high school reunion two years ago. 

However, I attend a monthly one with the same guys I sat at the lunch table with all through junior high and high school.  We're all still great friends, and they're the only ones I care to see.

I don't care who's accomplished what or who is more successful, but I am proud to say I have packed on the fewest pounds and have retained the most hair follicles.  All of them, actually.   grin  It's amazing how many 30 year olds are going bald.  shocked

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2008, 01:35:43 PM »

That was roughly my class as well.  Small town.  Lot of folks would be settled and beginning a 'career' within six months of graduating.  Married or not, they'd be cranking out kids in short order.

There's no way I'd go to my class reunion without a IIIA vest.  Lot of folks wanted my head on a pike back then.  Age has probably fattened them up and dulled them down.  But I'd still just the same avoid 'em.  There isn't a thing in my hometown that's worth going back to see.  All the good folks I knew out the hell out and went as far away as they could.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2008, 05:32:27 PM »
Funny, mine was just the opposite, virtually none of them had gone anywhere in the 30 years, I was one of maybe two that saw overseas duty, the crapload of people that joined the AF never left the states. I was also one of the only ones that used th GI bill when I got out. A friend of mine had her doctorate in Filmography and I was tellng her, I had two kids, did 5 in the service and got my BA, she goes, "Ok, you've done enough!"  cheesy

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2008, 05:50:36 PM »
Damned kids........................
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2008, 10:36:46 PM »
Damned kids........................

You forgot "Get off my lawn".
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2008, 03:33:38 AM »
I missed my 10th due to work (though I wasn't really interested in going, anyway). Haven't been invited to any others....

In small TX towns, our "mini-reunions" usually happen at the yearly Homecoming football games. While my wife goes to hers (we live in her hometown), I haven't been to mine since High School....

I left town as quick as I could in '90....never felt the need to go back and visit....(family lives several miles outside of town...still visit regularly)....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2008, 12:02:22 PM »
There's no way I'd go to my class reunion without a IIIA vest.  Lot of folks wanted my head on a pike back then.  Age has probably fattened them up and dulled them down.

There was one guy in my class that I hope I never meet without being armed.   Until he dropped out our senior year, he made my life hell.  That experience, and the fact that noone cared to do anything effective about it, made me what I am today.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2008, 07:20:39 PM »
There's no way I'd go to my class reunion without a IIIA vest.  Lot of folks wanted my head on a pike back then.  Age has probably fattened them up and dulled them down.

There was one guy in my class that I hope I never meet without being armed.   Until he dropped out our senior year, he made my life hell.  That experience, and the fact that noone cared to do anything effective about it, made me what I am today.

Taught me a lot of things real quick.  Authority is not your friend.  It doesn't specifically hate you, because it has too much contempt to lower itself into actually feeling anything personal.  Oh yes, and lack of accountability generally makes for a less than optimum workforce. 

On the plus side, I learned more about improvised weaponry in my senior year alone than in six years of the military.   grin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2008, 08:14:37 PM »
I used to have that problem until about 10th grade.

One of the jocks decided I was his personal whipping boy, even though we played on the same teams and I was bigger than he was. I guess he had the small dog syndrome.

He decided to take me on one day in class unprovoked; caught me in the side of the head with one hell of a hard shot and backed me up against the wall.

He made the mistake of coming inside on me. I drove a knee into his crotch and caught him about as square and as hard as is humanly possible. I'm surprised I didn't rupture one or both of his testicles. When he doubled over I drove the same knee into his face and crushed his nose.

It was oddly gratifying watching him roll around on the floor, crying like a baby, and not knowing what to grab first. He had to have surgery to put his nose back together. In this day and age I and my family probably have been sued for everything. Back then, absolutely nothing happened.

After that, no one really messed with me much.

Couple years ago the idiot came up to me in a store and started chatting like we were old friends. Uhmmm... I have to go over here and pretend I'm examining the finer points of cheap furniture...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2008, 04:59:38 AM »
This year was the tenth "anniversary" of my getting done with high school. As a homeschooler in a class of one, it wasn't exactly a big to do.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2008, 05:33:28 AM »
This year was the tenth "anniversary" of my getting done with high school. As a homeschooler in a class of one, it wasn't exactly a big to do.

So you finished last in your class then.

Plus, any hot teachers? laugh
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2008, 05:40:04 AM »

So you finished last in your class then.

Plus, any hot teachers? laugh

/shudders
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2008, 05:53:39 AM »
Oh wow, man !
Wait a second man. whaddaya think the teachers gonna look like this year ?
My butt, man !
T-t-teacher stop that screaming, teacher dont you see ?
Dont wanna be no uptown fool.
Maybe I should go to hell, but Im doin well,
Teacher needs to see me after school.
Chorus:
I think of all the education that I missed.
But then my homework was never quite like this.
Got it bad, got it bad, got it bad,
Im hot for teacher.
I got it bad, so bad,
Im hot for teacher.
Spoken:
Hey, I heard you missed us, were back !
I brought my pencil
Gimme something to write on, man
I heard about your lessons, but lessons are so cold.
I know about this school.
Little girl from cherry lane, how did you get so bold ?
How did you know that golden rule ?
Chorus
(guitar solo)
Oh man, I think the clock is slow
I dont feel tardy
Class dismissed

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2008, 05:54:29 AM »
Whoa.

Someone's been breathing the fumes in chemistry class again.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.