Author Topic: Arrow fired through family's cat  (Read 12050 times)

Bigjake

• friend
Re: Arrow fired through family's cat
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2008, 05:33:33 PM »

Our cats roam inside and outside.  We own 40 acres of hunting ground for them.

That would be the most important fact.  Your land, you can do whatever you please with it,  Including letting wildlife killing critters run free.  And on your land, I'll never molest them. 

The day they show up on mine, crapping where they aren't supposed to and killing off all the upland game birds, it's curtains.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2008, 08:55:04 PM »
Our cats roam inside and outside.  We own 40 acres of hunting ground for them.

I thought free-range pets were the norm, in rural areas.  My folks have 1.8 acres, so obviously our cats and dogs roamed off-property quite a bit.  No complaints that I ever heard about, except for one of our dog's pups.  He was messin' with the neighbors garden, and took a bullet through the hind leg.  I don't recall our being at all upset with the neighbor (he's an excellent neighbor, actually), and Dad dispatched him a little while later, with another bullet.  The dog, I mean, not the neighbor.   laugh

What is that?  Some Utah thing?   smiley

Sierra Mist is a Western US (I've only seen it out here, maybe it's back-east. It's a Pepsi product) lemon-lime soda. Just did a quick photoshop (or GIMPing, to be more accurate).

Oh.  I digs Sierra Mist.  Tis readily available here in the St. Loeey region. 

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2008, 01:58:15 AM »
I thought free-range pets were the norm, in rural areas. 

Not in my rural area. My cats are strictly indoors. There are things out there that can hurt, kill and eat them if they roamed.

Also, there may be crazy cat ladies in the area who'd make sure I never saw my widdle fuzzies again.

How do you think I got all of mine?  grin
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2008, 02:24:55 AM »
LS, give me back my cat dammit!  angry

laugh
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2008, 11:43:22 AM »
i try to have outdoor cats. i throw the one out every chance i get. i'm not worried. it would take a nucluer bomb to kill that scrawny flea bag.

then again i treat my cats like they are cats. wild creatures who long ago enslaved the human race. unfortunatly for pharoh, i make a rotten slave.

BTW, the shooter of that arrow will come to a bad end. the cats will take care of it.

Outdoor cats are feral animals that are damaging to the local ecosystem. 
I hope yours are spayed/neutered.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2008, 02:34:26 PM »

Our cats are not feral and the main point of having them (besides liking cats) is to do as much damage as possible to the local ecosystem of mice, voles, gophers, etc Tongue
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2008, 03:07:52 PM »
Huh? It was my impression that feral animals of all kinds were the ecosystem. One could argue that birds destroy the eco of the unfortunate worms (who suffer from low sex appeal), and cats are simply karma come to disembowell 'em. :p

As for killing somebody on account of a cat... read up on the definition of 'human' and 'animal.' The terms ain't synonymous.

We just let our cat roam free... that's how he came to our place. Starved then, fat now. Friendly enough, does have mental issues.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2008, 04:54:08 PM »
"As for killing somebody on account of a cat... read up on the definition of 'human' and 'animal.' The terms ain't synonymous."

No, no they're not.

Cats are far more deserving of living.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Green Lantern

« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2008, 05:12:32 PM »
Had to look to see if the OP was one of my neighbors (well, same county anyway)...

Some little punk shot a cat HERE with an arrow.  Cat survived, is doing ok AFAIK.  It made me feel a little better to hear the shooter's defense that he thought it was a wildcat, not a pet.  So he's careless and stupid, but not careless, stupid, and cruel I guess.. undecided

No, no they're not.

+1, IMO.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2008, 05:40:18 PM »
Why?

Green Lantern

« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2008, 07:20:19 PM »
Some things that cats do are cruel - "playing" with a mouse, for instance.  But, it's their instinct - they don't know any better.

So, what's the excuse for HUMANS doing cruel, disgusting things?  Like shooting a cat with a bow?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »
"Undecided" had best make up his mind how he wants to play here on APS.

However, as a friendly heads-up, another post like that will most definitely make the decision for him.  undecided
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2008, 03:01:32 AM »
  laugh

You know the humans too well!  grin

Avoid cliches like the plague!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2008, 06:40:37 PM »
Why?
Personally I like my cats (and, they're a lot less stupid) then most people.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2008, 05:14:45 AM »
Huh? It was my impression that feral animals of all kinds were the ecosystem.

"Feral" is NOT the same thing as "Wild" - it refers to a previously domesticated animal that has gone wild.  They are horrible for the environment for a number of reasons- they are almost always non-native to the environment, carry both domestic and natural diseases, crowd out native species, often have no natural enemies to control them, and, most important, have no fear of man.  Think rabbits in Australia.  Or walking catfish in Florida.  Even worse are "part-time ferals".  Most crazy cat women would poop their knickers if they new how many little biries and such "widdle snookems" kills when she "lets him out for a while..."

For therecord, I have a cat, & it roams... if it gets shot, (or chewed up by another cat), while on someone else's property, I accept that.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2008, 12:06:39 PM »
i try to have outdoor cats. i throw the one out every chance i get. i'm not worried. it would take a nucluer bomb to kill that scrawny flea bag.

then again i treat my cats like they are cats. wild creatures who long ago enslaved the human race. unfortunatly for pharoh, i make a rotten slave.

BTW, the shooter of that arrow will come to a bad end. the cats will take care of it.

I hope yours are spayed/neutered.

my cats are not feral. feral is when domesticated animals go wild. and wild cats do not let people carry them around or amaze the vet by being so relaxed in the vet office.
and yes, all my boys are neutered. i would never inflict more of them on the world.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2008, 03:40:45 AM »
If your cats are out eating native animals, they are a feral nusiance. 

Again, what would you people say if I just let my dog out at night like it was no big deal?
I have no sympathy (for you) if your cats are injured or killed by accident or by other means.  I also have no patience for stray animals.  Living in the 'burbs precludes me from shooting problem animals.  I have and will continue, however, to rent live animal traps and turn them over to animal control.  And sorry, but if your cat has a collar, collar goes in the trash animal goes to the pound. 
KEEP YOUR DAMN CATS IN THE HOUSE.
My dog doesn't get to roam the neighborhood, eat your plants, *expletive deleted*it on your porch, walk on your car, screech and fight in the middle of the night outside your window, or hunt wild NATIVE animals....your cat shouldn't get to, either.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2008, 04:05:43 AM »
And sorry, but if your cat has a collar, collar goes in the trash animal goes to the pound. 
KEEP YOUR DAMN CATS IN THE HOUSE.

I guess that applies for the errant indoor cat that manages to get out, eh?  It DOES happen, despite their staff's best efforts.  Would you be OK if I happen apon your errant dog running loose, chuck his/her collar in the trash trash and take it to the pound rather than return him/her to you?
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2008, 04:20:26 AM »
I think I'll put this one to sleep.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.