Author Topic: Can warped boards be straightened?  (Read 11430 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Can warped boards be straightened?
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2010, 06:50:38 PM »
:D:D:D

OK, I'll try it on just a couple of boards to see if it works. That is, I'll try it on a couple of boards in a couple of months when it's not in the 90's and humid. ;)

Actually, hot weather with high humidity would be a good time to try it -- as far as the wood is concerned. Rough on you, though. You want to get the wood as moist as possible, as deeply into the wood as possible, then you DON'T want it to dry out too fast.

Old time shipwrights used to put oak ribs into steam boxes and cook 'em 'til they were almost like spaghetti. Then they'd bend 'em around rigid forms to the shape of the hull they were framing, and fasten them in place until they cooled and dried. They did the same thing with mahogany planks for the outer skin of the hull.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2010, 07:54:41 PM »
The best way to do that would be to get something very straight and strong, like maybe a hardwood 6x6 of the right length, steam the boards, and clamp them to the straight piece until they dry.  Use a few spacers, so you're actually overbending the warped boards slightly, so that when they spring back on being released, they'll be straight.
Nope. won't work. Once the lignin is dried, the board wants the least-stressful position. As somebody said, it's best to simply replace badly warped fence boards. If you don't want to do that, fasten the board with more hold-down strength like galvanized deck screws in stead of nails.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2010, 09:56:06 PM »
I would think the work to straighten the boards would be more costly than just buying new ones.

You could always cut the old boards in short pieces and use them for ... something.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2010, 09:57:28 PM »
Call a fencing contractor and be done with it......... ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2010, 10:26:01 PM »
I wouldn't be talking about straightening boards if I was willing to spend money. ;)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2010, 11:05:13 PM »
Call a fencing contractor and be done with it......... ;)

Foli, epee, or saber?