Author Topic: Obama's stage tonight...  (Read 12673 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Obama's stage tonight...
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 02:23:46 AM »
It seems to me that focusing on the backdrop is a red herring.  Is anyone ready to discuss the substance of what he said?

How dare you accuse The One of substance?    angry
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 03:46:36 AM »
Obama's campaign reminds me of a football team that throws forty times per game: any given moment, against a better team, they can lay 60 on you.  Conversely, against inferior competition, they can throw 5 interceptions.

His entire career, Obama has avoided interceptions: I would prefer he not have his clunker game in the White House.

Of course, McCain is just a running-attack type plodder.  He can't possibly get blown out, but he's not going to go out and WIN the game, either.
Zeke

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2008, 05:39:46 AM »
Quote from: Obama
"For while Senator McCain was turning his sights to Iraq just days after 9/11, I stood up and opposed this war, knowing that it would distract us from the real threats we face. When John McCain said we could just "muddle through" in Afghanistan, I argued for more resources and more troops to finish the fight against the terrorists who actually attacked us on 9/11, and made clear that we must take out Osama bin Laden and his lieutenants if we have them in our sights. John McCain likes to say that he'll follow bin Laden to the Gates of Hell - but he won't even go to the cave where he lives."

That's gonna be a chink in McCain's armor. I highly doubt, however, Obama's claim that he was so adamantly against setting Afghanistan on the back-burner and going into Iraq. The burden of guilt for letting Osama bin Laden slip through our fingers is shared by folks on both sides of the aisle.

Still, it has been this very disappointment that has lead me to believe that this war we fight now has very little to do with the Sept. 11 attacks.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 05:42:40 AM »
Obama's campaign reminds me of a football team that throws forty times per game: any given moment, against a better team, they can lay 60 on you.  Conversely, against inferior competition, they can throw 5 interceptions.

His entire career, Obama has avoided interceptions: I would prefer he not have his clunker game in the White House.

Of course, McCain is just a running-attack type plodder.  He can't possibly get blown out, but he's not going to go out and WIN the game, either.

If we are using football metaphors, this election campaign is looking very much like Superbowl XLII. 
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2008, 05:43:13 AM »
The reality of gun ownership may be different for hunters in rural Ohio than for those plagued by gang-violence in Cleveland, but don't tell me we can't uphold the Second Amendment while keeping AK-47s out of the hands of criminals.

I cant wait to vote against this bozo. 

But I guess Ill have to.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2008, 06:23:58 AM »
Quote from: Obama
"For while Senator McCain was turning his sights to Iraq just days after 9/11, I stood up and opposed this war, knowing that it would distract us from the real threats we face. When John McCain said we could just "muddle through" in Afghanistan, I argued for more resources and more troops to finish the fight against the terrorists who actually attacked us on 9/11, and made clear that we must take out Osama bin Laden and his lieutenants if we have them in our sights. John McCain likes to say that he'll follow bin Laden to the Gates of Hell - but he won't even go to the cave where he lives."

That's gonna be a chink in McCain's armor. I highly doubt, however, Obama's claim that he was so adamantly against setting Afghanistan on the back-burner and going into Iraq. The burden of guilt for letting Osama bin Laden slip through our fingers is shared by folks on both sides of the aisle.

Still, it has been this very disappointment that has lead me to believe that this war we fight now has very little to do with the Sept. 11 attacks.

So where did he stand up and oppose the war? Denny's? Maybe the Illinois legislature? Both would have required tons of courage since both have zero to do with foreign policy. Way to take a stand buddy.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2008, 07:08:05 AM »
http://www.thedailyshow.com/index.jhtml check out Obama's Miraculous Speach,  cheesy
Jon Stewert - Some at home might be wondering why it is a little lighter there in the sky than, people might think at 11 O'Clock it would be...
Aasif Mandvi - Well, yes, well at the end of his speach Barack Obama brought the sun back.

grin
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2008, 03:12:53 PM »
It seems to me that focusing on the backdrop is a red herring.  Is anyone ready to discuss the substance of what he said?

If you want to talk about the "substance," why are you reading a thread about the stage? 

And I might as well let you know that we've been discussing Obama's political views and policy proposals for months here.  We won't learn anything new from a speech.  In any case, this is the last place that a big-govt., tax-and-spend, anti-gun Democrat like Obama will get any support.  Around here, the only viable contest is between McCain, Barr and Paul.  And whoever the Const. Party is running this year. 

Ezekiel

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2008, 07:29:50 PM »
Of if he gets the soccer mom (Hillary) and right-wing radical vote due to a PURELY political VP pick.
Zeke

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2008, 08:05:30 PM »
In any case, this is the last place that a big-govt., tax-and-spend, anti-gun Democrat like Obama will get any support.

It seems to me the last eight years win first place for big-govt growing, borrowing and spending (unprecedented), and anti more Constitutional rights and American freedoms than just RKBA. 

I knew you would say that.  And that is exactly why I included the very important term "Democrat."  As we all know, conservatives will let a republican get away with a lot of that, while we will reject any such Democrat outright.  I should have just called him a far-left Democrat.  Would have been less confusing.   

Around here, the only viable contest is between McCain, Barr and Paul.

Well. good luck with that.  Barr and Paul are non-starters and McCain can only win if his surrogates manage to fearmonger his way into the Whitehouse.

I can see that you completely missed the point.  Hint:  I said "around here."  In other words, most of us here know enough about Obama's "substance" to know he hasn't got any he won't represent us.  So, the only question for most of us is whether to vote for McCain because he will better than Obama, or to lodge a "protest vote" for a third party. 

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2008, 04:58:00 AM »
The reality of gun ownership may be different for hunters in rural Ohio than for those plagued by gang-violence in Cleveland, but don't tell me we can't uphold the Second Amendment while keeping AK-47s out of the hands of criminals.

I cant wait to vote against this bozo. 

But I guess Ill have to.

As they say in Chi-town:  Vote early and often!
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2008, 04:59:28 AM »
Of if he gets the soccer mom (Hillary) and right-wing radical vote due to a PURELY political VP pick.

ANY VP PICK IS POLITICAL.

What the hell are you trying to get at? What would you choose a VP for, liking the same flavor of icecream that you do???

Ezekiel

• friend
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2008, 05:54:12 AM »

What the hell are you trying to get at? What would you choose a VP for, liking the same flavor of icecream that you do???

In theory, to be President of the United States in the event of catastrophe.
Zeke

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2008, 05:58:57 AM »

Who do you think would have been a better choice under those criteria?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »

Yet VPs are always chosen to balance the ticket, moreso than for qualifications to be President.  Why do you choose this point in time to make such a big issue out of it?

Ezekiel

• friend
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2008, 08:59:29 AM »
Because he's 72 and she is atrocious.

Any number of the proposed "short list" would be better for America.
Zeke

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2008, 11:00:22 AM »
Because he's 72 and she is atrocious.

She's only atrocious to you because you oppose her views. I, for, one, am sorry she's not MORE of a nutjob.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner