Author Topic: Chicago Tribune: It's Palin for VP  (Read 76234 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Chicago Tribune: It's Palin for VP
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2008, 12:42:10 PM »
You shouldn't be able to run down to QT and pick up a B.A.R., like shopping for socks, just because you have the jack.
You should at least be able to get one at the local gun store, as you can with any other rifle.  That is what the second amendment means.

Not having a B.A.R. doesn't make you defenseless.
Neither does not having a revolver.  You still have your fists.  But self-defense ain't the point.  National defense.  Read the Bill of Rights, please.  Oh, never mind.  You already shared with us that you don't know how to read it. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2008, 12:45:11 PM »
Allowing gun control in any way shape or form is allowing gun control - even if only a small amount. Being fine with people not being allowed to purchase firearms they want (in this case, full auto carbines) is gun control, pure and simple. The reasoning behind this, in your own words?

There is stratification in America, and there should be a standard -- beyond breathing -- to legally obtain such powerful tools.  (I'm pretty certain that most of America agrees.)  Not everyone deserves them.

Who decides what the standards are?

The voters?  Seems simple, to me.

I also seem to recall that that vote was taken between 1787 and 1791 and every state since then has to voted to follow that law.      Here's a link
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2008, 12:50:17 PM »
We need to police them.  I do not mean by letting everyone ELSE carry whenever/wherever they desire to, that's akin to saying John Q. can all drive tanked and we'll have a free-for-all in society, but by making such things inherently difficult to obtain.

So what are Your standards by which someone can obtain a full auto firearm ??

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2008, 01:27:28 PM »
I never indicated such.

But you did ...    angry

Mitt . . . the guy who came right out and said he supported the Second Amendment and a ban on assault weapons.

I don't see that as mutually exclusive.

I can respectfully disagree with most people, but you're just being a symbol of the Democratic Party Tongue
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2008, 01:57:19 PM »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2008, 02:01:43 PM »
Gulp.  Ok, I didn't really think of her that way before, but NOW I think she's hot.   cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2008, 02:05:35 PM »
well, i must say that i am pleased as punch with this one. i only have one issue on which i disagree and, to be honest, when i'm forced to choice between pro-gun and pro choice, i'll go with the guns.

in addition i think the drama of the event was hilarious. obama must haved peeed his pants.  cheesy

and zeke, in a fight between you and her (verbal or physical), my moneys on her. would you please stop calling her a token. i find it offensive that you would bash an obviously strong and capable women for nothing more then the fact that her sex gives her a neat advantage.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2008, 02:10:46 PM »
There are segments of the public -- LARGE segments -- that should not be trusted with a .22, let alone a full-auto 7.62x39.

How is a select-fire 7.62x39 so much more dangerous than a semi-auto that it should require licensing?

Or do you think there should be licensing for semi-auto rifles?

Further, to my knowledge the US does not require licensing to own a vehicle, only to drive one on public roads.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2008, 02:17:36 PM »

NICE!  Now she just needs to reminded about that whole keeping the booger hook off the boom switch until ready to fire rule.  That and keeping it pointed in a safe direction (if I were the camera-man I'd be a touch nervous at that moment).  Since there's no mag in the gun I'll assume that she verified the chamber was empty herself. 

It is nice to finally be able to have a sense of excitement about this race, rather than just a sense of foreboding.

silliman89

« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2008, 02:40:43 PM »
Am I the only one offended by Jimmy-Joe Jim-Bob?  I mean come one guys, get a clue.  It's Billy-Joe-Jim-Bob.  Who ever heard of Jimmy-Joe, and who would put two Jim's in one name?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2008, 03:25:03 PM »
Woah...

http://www.hillaryclintonforum.net/discussion/showthread.php?t=26197

Check that out! They're all going for this as well! ALL the replies!

If Obama's people read that, they're going to have a panic attack... Bunch of ANGRY mostly women who are now for McCain/Palin due to their treatement by the DNC. Awesome.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2008, 03:30:54 PM »
manewolf, that evil cackling you hear is me. katie (my boss) was right. the election race just got fun.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2008, 03:33:42 PM »
Allowing gun control in any way shape or form is allowing gun control - even if only a small amount. Being fine with people not being allowed to purchase firearms they want (in this case, full auto carbines) is gun control, pure and simple. The reasoning behind this, in your own words?

There is stratification in America, and there should be a standard -- beyond breathing -- to legally obtain such powerful tools.  (I'm pretty certain that most of America agrees.)  Not everyone deserves them.

Who decides what the standards are?

The voters?  Seems simple, to me.

Wrong.  That's why we have a Bill of Rights, to prevent tyranny by the majority.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2008, 03:36:18 PM »
I don't know how long the bloom will stay on the rose, but from my unscientific sampling of opinion on boards, radio, teh webz, etc. this is the best thing to happen to the McCain campaign yet. 

Johnny Mac and team managed to keep the Obamapolis Speech down to about 8 hours in the cycle, and the MSM is effectively forced to give equal time on what should be an afterglow weekend.  Absolutely brilliant.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2008, 03:42:50 PM »
Just never mind...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2008, 04:35:02 PM »
Woah...

http://www.hillaryclintonforum.net/discussion/showthread.php?t=26197

Check that out! They're all going for this as well! ALL the replies!

If Obama's people read that, they're going to have a panic attack... Bunch of ANGRY mostly women who are now for McCain/Palin due to their treatement by the DNC. Awesome.

I got a chuckle from the "Warning: Bitter Christian Clinging To Gun" graphic.

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2008, 05:46:31 PM »
Given that Palin does not immediately do a face plant, politically speaking...

I've got to hand it to McCain, he is a wilier SOB than I gave him credit for.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #117 on: August 29, 2008, 06:05:38 PM »
Back to where this all started, I think Zeke is right.  She was not chosen for her ethiocal stands, her conservative ideals, her position on RKBA or Roe v. Wade.  She was chosen because she was a woman that would appeal to the hard core right, many of the RINO's, and some of the women supporters of Hillary.  The fact that some us us find her to be a good choice doesn't mean she was chosen for thise reasons...
I think she would be the best president of the bunch of them.  McCain has the right temperment but seems inclined toward civility above all else. No one knows much about BHO except he is black and wants change. Biden is well known for his ultra left views.

Palin is well regarded among conservatives and libertarians, but not real well known outside that group.

I agree she was chosen for political reasons, including being a woman. Political calculations are a big part of politics.

bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #118 on: August 29, 2008, 06:24:37 PM »
So far at least, Palin also seemed to come off as a normal person.  She didn't seem to have that high brow, rich girl, I'm smarter than you attitude when she talked. 

And her husband is a plant operator which certainly can't hurt with the normal guys out there. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #119 on: August 29, 2008, 06:26:32 PM »

NICE!  Now she just needs to reminded about that whole keeping the booger hook off the boom switch until ready to fire rule.  That and keeping it pointed in a safe direction (if I were the camera-man I'd be a touch nervous at that moment).  Since there's no mag in the gun I'll assume that she verified the chamber was empty herself. 

It's a trainer, not a real M4.  Notice the cable running up through the mag well and the emitter in the flash hider.  It's part of a shoot/don't shoot computer sim system.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #120 on: August 29, 2008, 06:34:46 PM »
Yep, those FATS simulators are fun. Of course I had an M9 that would fire everytime the safety decocked it, so I was manually dropping the hammer. Other than that I could play with those things all day it's like an IMAX sized game of Duck Hunt. Finally a candidate that won't look as dumb as John Goosekiller Kerry, crawling through the brush with his shotgun to bag a deer.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #121 on: August 29, 2008, 06:51:49 PM »
While the one above may be a sim, this one, evidently, is not.

Near as I can tell, it's taken from a video of her actually firing it.

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #122 on: August 29, 2008, 07:16:26 PM »
While the one above may be a sim, this one, evidently, is not.

Near as I can tell, it's taken from a video of her actually firing it.

Ummm, that's from a video of her shooting the FATS (sim) system.
Here it is.....at about 24 seconds.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFjqZ_vvLNc

This is another good one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wms2As61MYU

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #123 on: August 29, 2008, 08:13:49 PM »
So far at least, Palin also seemed to come off as a normal person.  She didn't seem to have that high brow, rich girl, I'm smarter than you attitude when she talked. 

And her husband is a plant operator which certainly can't hurt with the normal guys out there. 

He is also a commercial fisherman and she has gone out on his boat several times.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #124 on: August 29, 2008, 08:28:49 PM »
There's one other group that her choice will deeply affect: Sportsmen.

And when I say "Sportsmen", I specifically mean that group derisively known as "Fudds"--the folks who consider themselves Hunters before they are Gun Owners, the ones who just know their 30-30 won't be taken away. This is not a woman who dresses up in never-used Filson gear for a photo shoot; this is a woman who has hunted MOOSE, and has gutted and dressed it.  I can't wait to see the "trophy" photos!  And Alaska is like the American Holy Hunting Grounds.

Let's see how the "Sportsmen for Obama" sputter out a defense now!!
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.