Author Topic: Mass anti-crime rallies in Mexico  (Read 2945 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Mass anti-crime rallies in Mexico
« on: August 30, 2008, 03:16:51 PM »

Marches are being held throughout Mexico to protest against a wave of killings, kidnappings and shootouts sweeping the nation.

The rallies are being held in each of Mexico's 32 states, with up to 500,000 people expected in the capital Mexico City alone, organisers say.

Many protesters say the government is unable to curb the violence.

Some 2,700 people have been killed in Mexico this year, most of them victims of drug-related attacks.

More people are now kidnapped in Mexico than in Colombia or Iraq, with more than 300 reported attacks so far during 2008.

Emergency plan

The protests are being organised by a number of anti-crime groups, who have urged demonstrators to march in silence with candles or lanterns.

In Mexico City, the main boulevard - Reformer - is gradually filling with demonstrators, the BBC's Duncan Kennedy says.

They are due to start marching to the capital's main plaza, Zocalo Square.

Many are carrying national flags - a sign that they want a unified country in the fight against crime, our correspondent says.

Some 4,000 police officers are being deployed in the capital to provide security during the march.

Many protesters blame the government for what they say is its inability to combat crime.

This is despite a series of tough measures unveiled in recent years by President Felipe Calderon, including the deployment of more than 25,000 police and troops around the country to wrest Mexico from drug cartels.

Last week the country's political and security leaders launched an emergency programme to try to combat the rising wave of violence.

Measures include sacking corrupt police officers, two new prisons for kidnappers and strategies to combat money-laundering and drug-trafficking.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7590272.stm
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
Re: Mass anti-crime rallies in Mexico
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 03:50:19 PM »
This is a good sign, if they take their country back, maybe many of them here will return home.  Maybe that country might crawl out of the stone age.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

anygunanywhere

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 04:52:11 PM »
Many are carrying national flags -

They nee to be carrying guns, The criminals and corrupt politicians could care less about protests.

Anygunanywhere

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 05:05:25 AM »
The criminals and corrupt politicians could care less about protests.
Not to mention at least half the police, who are on the payroll of said miscreants.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 09:55:23 AM »
This is a good sign, . . . . .
About as meaningful as a sternly worded memo from the UN.  It is a start and nothing more.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 11:13:27 AM »
Many protesters blame the government for what they say is its inability to combat crime.
And who the hell elected the government? Oh, yeah, THE MEXICAN PEOPLE!
Or was it...[Tinfoil hat]THE US WHO PUT THE CURRENT MEXICAN GOVERNMENT INTO POWER?!?!?!?!?! IT MUST'VE BEEN, THE US WANT TO OPPRESS THE MEXICAN PEOPLE FOREVER!
[/Tinfoil hat]

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 11:31:01 AM »

It's not inability. It's self interest. Since the government is responsible for or involved in most of the crime, why would they want to combat it?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 12:19:55 PM »
Silly me.  I was thinking the crime they protested might be that of crossing the border illegally.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 01:15:52 PM »
The criminals and corrupt politicians could care less about protests.
Not to mention at least half the police, who are on the payroll of said miscreants.
Its probably much higher than half. Problem is everything in Mexico is geared toward someone getting paid off. I doubt those marchers even think much about it when they buy someone off to get a favor from government official.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 12:20:24 PM »
And who the hell elected the government?

So your argument is that these people should just STFU and put up with the third-world horror that is Mexico? Why should they? Because their neighbors elected these people? Because maybe even THEY voted for these people before they changed their mind?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner