Author Topic: Best answer ever to why the Obama acceptance speech got so many people...  (Read 4419 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
"So why did Obama get 80,000 people in a stadium on a weekday, and McCain will be lucky to get 10,000?"

"Because the conservatives actually have jobs and businesses, and have to go to work."

smiley

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Best answer ever to why the Obama inaugural got so many people...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 12:49:16 PM »
It's a bit premature to speak of his inaugural. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 02:11:58 PM »
"So why did Obama get 80,000 people in a stadium on a weekday, and McCain will be lucky to get 10,000?"

"Because the conservatives actually have jobs and businesses, and have to go to work."

smiley

Weak and useless argument. If you can't be excited enough about your candidate to take a day off from work to see him, that says a [ilot[/i] about your candidate.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 02:32:20 PM »
Weren't they charging hundreds of dollars per seat?  Maybe they're all just THAT rich.  That's why they're so in touch with the common man.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 03:12:57 PM »
Weak and useless argument. If you can't be excited enough about your candidate to take a day off from work to see him, that says a [ilot[/i] about your candidate.

No matter how much I liked a candidate or how great they were, I would never take a day off of work just to go see them speak in person when I can take the day off to go fishing and then watch the speech on TV that night.

I work hard and my days off are precious. If I didn't work and had lots of time on my hand, then sure, I might go see them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 03:14:37 PM »
That's your personal view, but I think out of America's 150 million Republicans, it should be possible to recruit 70,000 people to go see a really awesome candidate - if we had a really awesome candidate.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 03:15:04 PM »

smiley

Yes. It says it's someone I might hire via my vote, not someone I worship.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 03:16:16 PM »

No matter how much I liked a candidate or how great they were, I would never take a day off of work just to go see them speak in person when I can take the day off to go fishing and then watch the speech on TV that night.

I work hard and my days off are precious. If I didn't work and had lots of time on my hand, then sure, I might go see them.

Both good points, actually. 

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 03:21:08 PM »

Yes. It says it's someone I might hire via my vote, not someone I worship.

Exactly. But there are some people who elicit popular enthusiasm and do get people to turn out for them. Some of these people are really bad people (like Hitler or Napoleon), others are just not on our side (like Obama), but yet it is possible for people to have an Obamalike appeal and be friends of liberty.

Consider in this cue the popular enthusiasm regarding Andrew Jackson (Obama has nothing on him, there were actually riots in celebration of him being elected), or Lincoln, or (in other countries) people like Ghandi.

Enthusiasm is nothing but a tool.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 03:23:40 PM »
I won't take off any time from work to see McCain.  But I would consider using the computer on company time to argue with him on the internets. 

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 07:15:24 PM »
Microbalrog said:

That's your personal view, but I think out of America's 150 million Republicans, it should be possible to recruit 70,000 people to go see a really awesome candidate - if we had a really awesome candidate.

I sometimes wonder if you're really in Israel, Boris.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 08:02:22 PM »
Microbalrog said:

Na, he was born American.  Just hasn't had time to come back home.    grin

Dude, would YOU immediately go home if you could eye up young ladies with M4's or Uzis?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 03:47:40 AM »
Microbalrog said:

Anti, I thank you very much for your compliment. Cheesy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Fixed the headline.

Hopefully what it said won't come true in a couple of months.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
I have a visceral reaction to screaming throngs.  They make my skin crawl.

The idea of thousands of folks hollering in unison or in favor of one human just wigs me out.

My feeling is not limited to politics.  Concerts and other mass events can also give me the creeps.

It is not whatever phobia is connected to interacting with people or large groups.  Large groups milling around doing their own thing (like at , say, the beach) does not induce the heebie-jeebies.

I have had to deal with such groups in the past for various reasons and I have functioned fine.  A little self-discipline saw to that.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
Given this has been coming for a few months and many of the Obama supporters are practically worshipers, It doesn't surprise me one bit they could get 70,000 democrats to show up.  Looking at the numbers, that really isn't a whole lot.  I heard they were expecting to issue 15,000 media credentials.  I don't know what the final number was. 

Remember Dan's Bake Sale that Rush put on back in the 90's?  That event attracted a whole boat load of people for no real reason at all (wiki says 80,000). 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge