Author Topic: Massive police raids on suspected protestors in Minneapolis  (Read 5873 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Massive police raids on suspected protestors in Minneapolis
« on: September 02, 2008, 03:10:02 AM »
Massive police raids on suspected protestors in Minneapolis

[updated below (with video) - Update II - Update III - Update IV]

Protesters here in Minneapolis have been targeted by a series of highly intimidating, sweeping police raids across the city, involving teams of 25-30 officers in riot gear, with semi-automatic weapons drawn, entering homes of those suspected of planning protests, handcuffing and forcing them to lay on the floor, while law enforcement officers searched the homes, seizing computers, journals, and political pamphlets. Last night, members of the St. Paul police department and the Ramsey County sheriff's department handcuffed, photographed and detained dozens of people meeting at a public venue to plan a demonstration, charging them with no crime other than "fire code violations," and early this morning, the Sheriff's department sent teams of officers into at least four Minneapolis area homes where suspected protesters were staying.

Jane Hamsher and I were at two of those homes this morning -- one which had just been raided and one which was in the process of being raided. Each of the raided houses is known by neighbors as a "hippie house," where 5-10 college-aged individuals live in a communal setting, and everyone we spoke with said that there had never been any problems of any kind in those houses, that they were filled with "peaceful kids" who are politically active but entirely unthreatening and friendly. Posted below is the video of the scene, including various interviews, which convey a very clear sense of what is actually going on here.

In the house that had just been raided, those inside described how a team of roughly 25 officers had barged into their homes with masks and black swat gear, holding large semi-automatic rifles, and ordered them to lie on the floor, where they were handcuffed and ordered not to move. The officers refused to state why they were there and, until the very end, refused to show whether they had a search warrant. They were forced to remain on the floor for 45 minutes while the officers took away the laptops, computers, individual journals, and political materials kept in the house. One of the individuals renting the house, an 18-year-old woman, was extremely shaken as she and others described how the officers were deliberately making intimidating statements such as "Do you have Terminator ready?" as they lay on the floor in handcuffs. The 10 or so individuals in the house all said that though they found the experience very jarring, they still intended to protest against the GOP Convention, and several said that being subjected to raids of that sort made them more emboldened than ever to do so.

Several of those who were arrested are being represented by Bruce Nestor, the President of the Minnesota chapter of the National Lawyers' Guild. Nestor said that last night's raid involved a meeting of a group calling itself the "RNC Welcoming Committee", and that this morning's raids appeared to target members of "Food Not Bombs," which he described as an anti-war, anti-authoritarian protest group. There was not a single act of violence or illegality that has taken place, Nestor said. Instead, the raids were purely anticipatory in nature, and clearly designed to frighten people contemplating taking part in any unauthorized protests.

Nestor indicated that only 2 or 3 of the 50 individuals who were handcuffed this morning at the 2 houses were actually arrested and charged with a crime, and the crime they were charged with is "conspiracy to commit riot." Nestor, who has practiced law in Minnesota for many years, said that he had never before heard of that statute being used for anything, and that its parameters are so self-evidently vague, designed to allow pre-emeptive arrests of those who are peacefully protesting, that it is almost certainly unconstitutional, though because it had never been invoked (until now), its constitutionality had not been tested.

There is clearly an intent on the part of law enforcement authorities here to engage in extreme and highly intimidating raids against those who are planning to protest the Convention. The DNC in Denver was the site of several quite ugly incidents where law enforcement acted on behalf of Democratic Party officials and the corporate elite that funded the Convention to keep the media and protesters from doing anything remotely off-script. But the massive and plainly excessive preemptive police raids in Minnesota are of a different order altogether. Targeting people with automatic-weapons-carrying SWAT teams and mass raids in their homes, who are suspected of nothing more than planning dissident political protests at a political convention and who have engaged in no illegal activity whatsoever, is about as redolent of the worst tactics of a police state as can be imagined.

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/08/30/police_raids/

Video on link.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

HankB

• friend
Re: Massive police raids on suspected protestors in Minneapolis
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 03:50:48 AM »
. . . a team of roughly 25 officers had barged into their homes with masks . . . The officers refused to state why they were there and, until the very end, refused to show whether they had a search warrant.
Many would consider masked men with guns barging into a house without first presenting a valid warrant to be legitimate targets. A couple of dozen armed masked men could easily be regarded as an organized criminal gang, such as MS-13. At some point, even this show of firepower will not avert a tragedy.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 03:54:16 AM »
Despite the raids, groups (including the one whom is mentioned in the raid!) went on to do exactly what the police thought they were plotting, including smashing parts of downtown, setting fires, attacking vehicles at intersections Mogadishu-style, AND THROWING BLEACH IN THE EYES OF A GROUP OF DELEGATES.

Read and learn. http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/01/anti-war-protest-at-gop-convention-turns-violent/

I have NO sympathy. I just wish the police had busted more heads.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 04:05:35 AM »
Despite the raids, groups (including the one whom is mentioned in the raid!) went on to do exactly what the police thought they were plotting, including smashing parts of downtown, setting fires, attacking vehicles at intersections Mogadishu-style, AND THROWING BLEACH IN THE EYES OF A GROUP OF DELEGATES.

Read and learn. http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/01/anti-war-protest-at-gop-convention-turns-violent/

For the record, the process is supposed to be you do not prosecute individuals for actions of groups - of course unless the group is a terrorist organization, which those aren't.

Most of the protestors, I note, were peaceful.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 04:09:22 AM »
The "Republican Welcoming Committee" was raided AFTER they put out a YouTube video showing them passing out weapons and homemade bombs as a way to promote disrupting the convention.

That is what you call a terrorist group, and there is a charge called "conspiracy to riot".

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 04:15:36 AM »
The "Republican Welcoming Committee" was raided AFTER they put out a YouTube video showing them passing out weapons and homemade bombs as a way to promote disrupting the convention.

That is what you call a terrorist group, and there is a charge called "conspiracy to riot".

What about the other groups mentioned? Was Food not Bombs also planning to riot at the convention?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 04:19:27 AM »

Article doesn't say anything about weapons or bombs being seized during the raids, and the only arrests mentioned were for fire code violations and "conspiracy."

Perps who actually do riot, vandalize public and private property, set fires, etc., OUGHT to have the legal system come down on them like a ton of bricks . . . and if they initiate violence on someone, they ought to get a whole lot more violence back than they're comfortable with.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 04:20:15 AM »
Read some other articles. They even had "buckets of urine" to throw.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 04:22:43 AM »
If true, the police have committed a series of severely unconstitutional actions, and should be punished accordingly.

Unfortunately, we only have one side of the story - from a "reporter" who is obviously friendly to the people who were raided.  For all we know the police went through all the proper procedures and the people who were raided deserved it.

Something about the tone of this article has the ring of a career criminal protesting his innocence, despite the five witnesses and video footage showing him caught in the act.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 04:57:04 AM »
Jane Hamsher of firedoglake is not a reliable source.

Kinda like getting a stormfronter to report on BHO's misdeeds: may be true, but until you get someone else to corroborate, you'd be a fool to run with the report.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 04:59:38 AM »
Jane Hamsher of firedoglake is not a reliable source.

Kinda like getting a stormfronter to report on BHO's misdeeds: may be true, but until you get someone else to corroborate, you'd be a fool to run with the report.

****....Jane Hamsher's the "reporter"? 

Yeah, the credibility of that article just shot out the window...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 05:58:51 AM »
If the raids were conducted legally (warrant obtained properly etc) I have no problem. If a group posted videos of themselves with home made bombs they deserve to be raided.

That being said, a lot of the people raided don't seem to have done anything to warrant this type of attention. Raiding groups because you disagree with their politics is bad news.

From the info available to me I can't tell if any of the raids were carried out improperly, or if any of the targets weren't legit. As jfruser said, that's hardly a reliable source.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 06:42:53 AM »
Do we have confirmation and real details about the raids from reliable sources?

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 07:50:31 AM »

Link?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 09:50:59 AM »

Link?

The answer to every question is answered here:
http://www.revleft.com/vb/

No more need to discuss it.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 10:05:54 AM »

??
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 10:23:10 AM »

??

He was mocking pointing out your habit of saying "I don't know what I believe or why, but look at this website....." any time someone tries to pin you down on your positions.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 10:33:45 AM »
Oh, I see.

I have only linked to it a few times, mostly to show examples of what actual communists/anarchists believe. Also because you can get a much better response there than you can from me, which I have explained why. I don't see why that would be mocked?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 11:17:10 AM »
any response would be better
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 11:21:02 AM »
A large percentage of rioters happen to be evil buggers who deserve what they get. That is not always the case, of course.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2008, 11:40:59 AM »
Personally, I don't care what he believes...  grin
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2008, 11:56:20 AM »
Oh, I see.

I have only linked to it a few times, mostly to show examples of what actual communists/anarchists believe. Also because you can get a much better response there than you can from me, which I have explained why. I don't see why that would be mocked?

It was a lighthearted joke/jibe, asked in a tongue-in-cheek tone. (Though text can be a poor means of communicating tone and I should have added a smiley like this: Wink )

Such must be expected when you have provided an "answer" that amounts to man-years of board postings. 

I would expect some ribbing if in response to a query I wrote, "Read H L Mencken's entire body of works, to include works he edited, but did not write, for The American Mercury.  He can do a much better job of explaining my beliefs on this topic than can I."
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2008, 06:04:31 PM »
Well then, jibe away good fella, Smiley

Stevie-Ray

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 05:19:18 PM »
I have to say I agree.
On Sarah Palin.....The screeching moonbats, whose daily lives are a swamp of discontent, fault finding, anger, angst and every other dark emotion embraced by the left, can't stand to see someone who is normal and enjoying life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.....grampster

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 06:03:16 PM »
Thats Good as apparently they don't allow discussions over there either.
[clipped from their forum topic menu]
"Opposing Ideologies (8 Viewing)
Forum for opposing ideologies and beliefs to be discussed; only forum where right-wingers, capitalists, preachers, primitivists, and other restricted members can post. *No Fascists* "

police Banned from discussion, lolz
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.