Author Topic: Senator Joe Lieberman's comments...  (Read 5613 times)

GingerGuy

Senator Joe Lieberman's comments...
« on: September 03, 2008, 02:28:59 AM »
I wonder how it feels to have your Democratic candidate for Vice President, in the 2000 presidential election attend the 2008 RNC Convention, Sept. 2nd, and make the following statement to a national audience...

So tonight, I ask you whether you are an Independent, a Reagan Democrat or a Clinton Democrat, or just a Democrat: This year, when you vote for President, vote for the person you believe is best for the country, not for the party you happen to belong to.

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: Senator Joe Lieberman's comments...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 03:56:59 AM »
Little Joey Lieberman has never thought about anybody but little Joey Lieberman in his life. His purported "independence" has never been anything but rampaging ego-centricity.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 04:47:26 AM »
I liked Fred Thompson's speech much better.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 08:28:26 AM »
Joe is one of those people who set out to be a politician while still beardless and has done what he had to do to advance without being born to the purple.  He is in most ways a doctrinaire liberal with one well-known exception.  He is smart.  And as pols go he is honest.

(Don't ask me how I know.)
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 08:49:40 AM »
How does pissing off his own party advance Lieberman's political prospects?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 09:24:13 AM »

The exact same way that McCain being a "maverick" has paid off for him.
I promise not to duck.

Marvin Dao

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 09:28:23 AM »

Because it's not his party. He's officially independent. The arrangement he has with the Dems maintains his seniority and gives him the chair to the Governmental Affairs Committee in exchange for voting the party line on all  procedural issues. The reasoning goes that Lieberman is only valuable to the Dems right now since he's the 51st vote they need to maintain control of the Senate. Since every projection have the Dems taking enough seats to control the Senate without Lieberman, but not enough to need him to maintain a filibuster proof majority, they'll be free to end their arrangement and revoke his seniority after the elections this year.

Given that he has no long term future in the Democratic party, a McCain victory and a cabinet appointment is one of the few ways his political career can continue.

peteinct

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 03:45:12 PM »
He didn't leave his party, it left him.I'm from CT. What happened is that his support of the war in Iraq upset the Democratic party faithful so they voted him out in the primary.The voters in the state voted him in probably because they knew his name. As for his future the Democrats will never support him so he has to look elsewhere.  I think his support for the warcost him a lot politically and i he was really thast big of a weasel he could have renounced it.

Not that I voted for him, though
pete

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 05:53:35 PM »
Little Joey Lieberman has never thought about anybody but little Joey Lieberman in his life.

And I have no problem with the GOP using that.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 07:39:15 PM »
think his support for the warcost him a lot politically and i he was really thast big of a weasel he could have renounced it.

What?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 07:44:37 PM »
Lieberman hasn't been a Democrat for several years. He's officially listed as an independent Democrat. The Democrats were pissed at him and managed to get him ousted from the primary ticket in 2006, partially over his defense of the Iraq war and opposition to Democratic amendments designed to force troop withdrawals. He then ran for Congress as an independent and wiped the floor with both candidates.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 07:54:33 PM »
He will become a Republican.  Only a matter of time.   And probably not that much at that.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 10:52:29 PM »
At this point I'd go for a 2000-era McCain/Leiberman type 3rd party to at least force the Repubs and Dems to man up and be who they really claim to be.

When you can't tell who what party wrote a piece of legislation by reading it, you know that the "center" has gotten far too big.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

peteinct

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 05:07:54 AM »
Balog, What I meant to type was that his support of the war cost lieberman the nomination. If he came out and said he was against the war he would have easily won. So if it was just pure ambition that ruled him he would have just said he was against the war.

To go to the republicans to try to salvage the rest of his career is a little off putting but the Democratic Party at least here is solidly anti -war.

pete

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 06:12:59 AM »
Lieberman hasn't been a Democrat for several years. He's officially listed as an independent Democrat. The Democrats were pissed at him and managed to get him ousted from the primary ticket in 2006, partially over his defense of the Iraq war and opposition to Democratic amendments designed to force troop withdrawals. He then ran for Congress as an independent and wiped the floor with both candidates.

So, for the lack of Lieberman's support the Democratically controlled Senate and House were unable to throw a lasso over Bush and stop the Iraq war Huh?  rolleyes

Whatever your views on the war, this is one reason I have no use for the Democrats.  They ran on an "anti-war" platform in 2006 and then did absolutely nothing (except bellyache) for two years despite having a majority in Congress.  Now they want us to vote for Obama so that he will "end the war"  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 07:09:03 AM »
"So, for the lack of Lieberman's support  the Democratically controlled Senate and House were unable to throw a lasso over Bush and stop the Iraq war"

Did I say that?

No, I didn't.

I responded to a statement regarding Lieberman's party affiliation and provided FACTUAL information as to why Lieberman was stripped of his party's support in the 2006 primary election.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 07:15:06 AM »
Sen. Lieberman is a liberal who supports the war.  If he goes over to the R's he will just be another white shoe RINO who supports the war.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 07:52:14 AM »
"So, for the lack of Lieberman's support  the Democratically controlled Senate and House were unable to throw a lasso over Bush and stop the Iraq war"

Did I say that?

No, I didn't.

I responded to a statement regarding Lieberman's party affiliation and provided FACTUAL information as to why Lieberman was stripped of his party's support in the 2006 primary election.

Down, Mike, down.  Easy boy, easy....  undecided

I was picking on the Democrats, not you  rolleyes

Are you part Belgian Malinois Huh?  Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

peteinct

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 08:51:26 AM »
I think Grampster has it right. Remember CT is the state of Lowell Weiker. He was so mad when we voted him out of his cushy Senate seat that he became Governor and punished us with a personal income tax. After implying he would do no such thing. Pete

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2008, 02:50:21 AM »
His political worth and his financial worth are tied to being a swing vote in a closely divided senate.  McCain played the schtick to the max.  He's trying the same thing for the big house.  Those who are unpredictable or those whose allegiances move around are of immense value compared to the true, blue base.  Joe is merely setting himself up for future prosperity; as is Lindsey Graham.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2008, 08:24:28 PM »
"Are you part Belgian Malinois"

Kangal.