Author Topic: Palin for President  (Read 13501 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Palin for President
« on: September 03, 2008, 07:50:14 PM »
They got the ticket backward.  I'd take Sarah Palin for Prez anyday over Obama, Hillary or John.  Watched her on TV tonight (rarely watch TV) and WOW, she is a class act!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Palin for President
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 08:08:10 PM »
Obama really got hammered tonight.  Rudy was pretty rough with him, too.   laugh
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »
I wasn't going to vote for McCain, but I'll happily vote for Sarah Palin.  She's exactly what we need right now.

I can't wait for the debates.   grin

And Palin's youngest daughter is cute as can be.  I'd vote for her over Obama or Hillary any day.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 08:12:05 PM »
Obama really got hammered tonight.  Rudy was pretty rough with him, too.   laugh
"Being mayor of Wasilla is sort of like being a community organizer, except that the mayor has real responsibilities."

laugh

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 09:30:32 PM »
Or as Rudy put it (paraphrasing):

In the Illinois legislature Obama voted "present" 113 times.  113 times, he couldn't make a decision.  I wish I knew about that "present" vote when I was mayor.  When you're President, you cannot vote "present."  You have to make a decision. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 01:47:57 AM »
Sarah was impressive. Did great under pressure as well. Rudy smoked Obama and I loved it!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 01:49:35 AM »
Well is it too soon to start the Palin/Jendil ticket for 2012?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 02:55:53 AM »
She has been talked about as a VP candidate for quite some time in conservative circles. I am real glad McCain selected her. If nothing else it gives a bright, young, and upcoming star of the party a chance to show her stuff on the national stage.

I think this changes the dynamic of the election a lot. If McCain had selected a "moderate" or a democrat, the base of the republican party would have no enthusiasm to come out and do what it takes to win, probably resulting in a BHO presidency.

I think this changes things enough that McCain could win 45 states. I think they need to send her to places like Illinois and stir things up there forcing BHO to spend time there defending his supposed safe harbor. This could have coat tail effects as well. Might pickup up a couple of house and senate seats that would otherwise have been lost, maybe a governorship or a state house.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 03:45:39 AM »
I saw some stupid reporters, I think it was CNN, that saw showing that Obama was going to win enough electoral votes to win the presidency.  Oh, what wishful thinking.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 03:48:37 AM »
I saw some stupid reporters, I think it was CNN, that saw showing that Obama was going to win enough electoral votes to win the presidency.  Oh, what wishful thinking.

He's got a 5% lead.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 04:06:47 AM »
What's the margun of error for the poll?

And, what you tell a pollster is one thing.  What you do in the privacy of the voting booth is something entirely different.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 04:09:05 AM »
Also where you do the polling will have an effect on your answers.

Polls only mean squat after the election and the one that determines who wins is the only one I care about.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 04:09:25 AM »

2%.

Read here.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 05:01:21 AM »

2%.

Read here.

That's a good link: interesting stuff.
Zeke

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 05:20:18 AM »
Well, I still think that the 200 & 2004 Republican tickets ought to have been Cheney/GWB.

Despite new innovations, polling is less & less accurate, despite increasing the sample size.

For instance (by no means exhaustive):
1. Bradley/Royko effect--the tendency for people polled to just plain lie (Royko) to pollsters, especially when a black (Bradley) candidate is running in a race where the constituency is largely non-black.  Usually about 5% of those polled will say they are voting for / voted for the black guy when they do otherwise.

2. Cell phone effect--quick-reaction polls are limited to land-lines.  With a great proportion of the population going cell-only, the sample population is skewed.  Generally, the younger the person, the more likely they are cell-only.  But, the younger they are, the less likely they are to actually vote.

There are other challenges, but those two seem most pertinent at the moment.

Rassmussen decreases the margin of error by using three night's worth of polling, but I do not see if they filter by registered or likely voters (likely being a better measure).

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 05:27:26 AM »
Rasmussen polls likely voters.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 05:48:33 AM »
The big poll skew is that people with jobs aren't home to answer the phone. And if they run the poll in the evening to catch us at home I get up from my dinner and angrily hang up on the rude caller.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Drgong

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 05:51:49 AM »
actually when I am running the numbers, it might be where nether get 270, then the house votes for the president  sad

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 07:07:25 AM »
I think that could only happen if 3 candidates get electoral college votes.  Which third party candidate do you expect to win a state?

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 07:21:07 AM »
Palin = Our Miss Brooks + Gen. Patton.  grin

She brings populism to the Grim Old Party.  What a tonic.

All of a sudden this Election becomes rough fun.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 08:10:13 AM »
I read the comments following the speech article on CNN, wow, either they really moderate their comments, or there really are that many mouth breathing idiots, or only me and the lefties read CNN. Hmmm. I liked the post speech photo with the whole family on stage, including preggy daughter. Seems like a pretty open challenge for anyone to screw with her.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 08:28:21 AM »
I read the comments following the speech article on CNN, wow, either they really moderate their comments, or there really are that many mouth breathing idiots, or only me and the lefties read CNN. Hmmm. I liked the post speech photo with the whole family on stage, including preggy daughter. Seems like a pretty open challenge for anyone to screw with her.

I read some, too. I liked the one from the woman who said she cried during Palin's speech because she was so scared by it, and was terrified of the possibility of a McCain victory.  laugh

Teknoid

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2008, 09:30:27 AM »

2%.

Read here.

That's a good link: interesting stuff.

I see they polled 5% more Dems than Reps. I wonder why the numbers came out in favor of Obama.... Gee, hard to figure, isn't it?

One of the reasons the only poll that matters is the one you take in the voting booth.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2008, 09:56:03 AM »
I see they polled 5% more Dems than Reps. I wonder why the numbers came out in favor of Obama.... Gee, hard to figure, isn't it?

They polled 5% more Dems than Reps because there's slightly more registered Democrats than Republicans in society.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 09:57:53 AM »
I think that could only happen if 3 candidates get electoral college votes.  Which third party candidate do you expect to win a state?

Well, pending a Texas court decision, Barr may win that state by default.

Lots of wishful thinking on the LP's part, though.