Author Topic: Cuba declines US disaster assessment after Gustav  (Read 4879 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Cuba declines US disaster assessment after Gustav
« on: September 06, 2008, 07:45:02 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Sep06/0,4670,CubaUSHurricaneAid,00.html

HAVANA   Cuba politely declined a U.S. offer to send a disaster assessment team to the island after Hurricane Gustav, saying Saturday it would rather Washington suspend restrictions on travel and the sale of food and other materials it needs to recover.

Cuba's Foreign Ministry did not mention some US$100,000 in humanitarian aid that Washington offered to send through nonprofit groups, along with the assessment team. It said in a statement that it appreciated the U.S. government gesture recognizing the destruction that Gustav caused.

The Cuban statement was released as forecasters predicted another powerful hurricane, Ike, will likely sweep across the length of the island early in the week.

"Today when the country's east already is under storm alert with the threat of Hurricane Ike, just as powerful as Gustav, Cuba affirms that in reality the only correct, ethical (action) ... would be the total and definitive elimination of the harsh and cruel economic, commercial and financial blockade applied over nearly a half century against our nation," the statement said.

The Foreign Ministry noted that Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama has called for a temporary suspension on restrictions on family travel and remittances to the island while Cuba recovers. His rival, Republican John McCain has called for easing restrictions only when the U.S. is "confident that the transition to a free and open democracy is being made."

Currently, people of Cuban origin living in the U.S. can visit the island only once every three years and can send money only to members of their immediate families, excluding cousins, aunts and uncles.

Ailing former leader Fidel Castro wrote this week that recovery from Gustav could cost billions of dollars on an island where the average state salary is only about US$20 per month.

Bush could do a lot for McCain by lifting the sanctions against Cuba.  You could hand Florida to him on a silver platter.

Of course I would want to know in advance that it was happening so I could be one of the first ones in line.  I want some of the old cars.  And you could get them for a steal.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

yesitsloaded

• friends
Re: Cuba declines US disaster assessment after Gustav
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 09:49:18 PM »
Did Cuba make an AK variant? Do want. Sign me up for a lead sled project as well.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 03:26:10 AM »
Bush could do a lot for McCain by lifting the sanctions against Cuba.  You could hand Florida to him on a silver platter.

Huh?  I think that would turn all the Cuban expats in Florida against him.  Not that I care, I think the restrictions have outlived their usefulness.

Chris

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 03:32:32 AM »

Huh?  I think that would turn all the Cuban expats in Florida against him.  Not that I care, I think the restrictions have outlived their usefulness.

Chris

I would disagree because a lot of them still have a lot of family still in Cuba and would love to be able to help them out openly.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 03:50:05 AM »
True, but they also vehemently oppose the Castro regime.

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 04:28:42 AM »

Chris

I agree. That would make all the ones I knew of living there FURIOUS.

Remember, the loud ones in S. Florida, the politically active ones, tend to be the ones whose families were rich under Batista, who lost their villas and property when Castro came to power.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 05:18:24 AM »

Chris

I agree. That would make all the ones I knew of living there FURIOUS.

Remember, the loud ones in S. Florida, the politically active ones, tend to be the ones whose families were rich under Batista, who lost their villas and property when Castro came to power.

And a lot of their friends and family members during the ensuing "purge."
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

alan2

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 10:03:58 AM »
At least they were "polite". In any event, if a soverign nation has a "problem", which leads another nation to offer aid, should they, for any reason wish to decline the offer, they are a soverign nation.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 10:44:50 AM »
At least they were "polite". In any event, if a soverign nation has a "problem", which leads another nation to offer aid, should they, for any reason wish to decline the offer, they are a soverign nation.

Feel that way about Myanmar/Burma as well?

alan2

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 12:27:28 PM »

Feel that way about Myanmar/Burma as well?

Some might note that it's a function of what the people in the effected nation(s) are willing to put up with. However I might or might not "feel" about it is beside the point.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 03:21:06 PM »
Cuba doesn't need our help.  Cuba with iMacs is the perfect society, according to Barack Obama.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 08:10:34 PM »

Heh.  We still cut them a $3,086.36 check every year for Guantanamo Bay rent.  Allegedly, only one check was actually cashed.  The rest are allegedly kept in Castro's office stuffed into a desk drawer. 

In fairness to Castro, we DID try to kill a large number of times.  Obviously, the guy's going to be bent about that.  Just wish he'd hurry up and croak so Cuba could open up to democracy.  Plus communism has completely killed their cigar industry.  Overproduction, poor environmentalism, lack of QC.  Cuban cigars are not what they once were.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 04:21:31 AM »

Heh.  We still cut them a $3,086.36 check every year for Guantanamo Bay rent.  Allegedly, only one check was actually cashed.  The rest are allegedly kept in Castro's office stuffed into a desk drawer. 

In fairness to Castro, we DID try to kill a large number of times.  Obviously, the guy's going to be bent about that.  Just wish he'd hurry up and croak so Cuba could open up to democracy.  Plus communism has completely killed their cigar industry.  Overproduction, poor environmentalism, lack of QC.  Cuban cigars are not what they once were.

Uh. Fidel is no longer running the show. Raoul is. Nothing will change anytime soon.

Raoul was waiting in the wings to take over for a long time, with the same agenda. Did you think it'd be like Star Wars when Fidel died?

It isn't. It won't ever be. Raoul is probably grooming a successor, too.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 04:24:56 AM »
Did you think it'd be like Star Wars when Fidel died?

Perhaps it'd be different if one of those guys died, err, suddenly, rather than if he had a time to prepare a successor.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 04:36:15 AM »

Perhaps it'd be different if one of those guys died, err, suddenly, rather than if he had a time to prepare a successor.

Ah, we tried to arrange that on a number of occasions.

You can thank Ford for putting a stop to that. Carter and Reagan reiterated it with executive orders.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 11:50:49 AM »
We offered and they said "No thanks".  Not our problem anymore.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 11:54:02 AM »
Exactly. 

Would rather have my tax dollars go elsewhere instead.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 12:22:43 PM »

Our CIA is significantly less adept than pictured in movies.  Failure, not success, is the norm in assassination attempts for them.  You'd be better off sending the IRS after Fidel or Raoul.

Assassination of heads of state is specifically illegal now in the US.  If we stopped killing 18 year olds, many of whom were conscripted, and start actually killing those responsible, it may heighten the risk to our own politicians.  Gods know, our politicians can't have that.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 10:45:54 AM »
Our CIA is significantly less adept than pictured in movies.

I didn't mean the CIA.

I meant the Air Force.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 10:49:50 AM »
I didn't mean the CIA.

I meant the Air Force.

What's with you and digging up long-dead threads lately? Look at the last posting date. ;)