Author Topic: Hey I have some advice for you guys  (Read 2968 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Hey I have some advice for you guys
« on: September 09, 2008, 11:23:54 AM »
Don't forget that you left the knife of your Leatherman open on the seat of your truck.  Cause if you do, it will fall between the seats just enough so you can't see the blade.  And then you'll put your right index finger down there to fish it out, and slice the tip of your finger to the bone.  Just FYI.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Hey I have some advice for you guys
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 11:24:33 AM »
Universal truth. Knives dropped into any place you can't see will bite you when you try to get them out.

That's almost worse than the time I felt around for the soldering iron.

Found it, alright.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 11:40:11 AM »
Universal truth. Knives dropped into any place you can't see will bite you when you try to get them out.

Found it, alright.
Oooh, branding! There's people who pay lots of money to have that done, and you go and get it for free! laugh

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 11:42:56 AM »
"Doctor, it hurts when I do this."

"Don't do that, then."

grin

I say this in the full knowledge that I've injured myself in more idiotic ways than I can possibly recount.  Most recent was my (re)discovery that five of a cat's six ends, when deployed, are enthusiastically sharp.

Hope you heal up ok.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 11:43:05 AM »
I dropped a cheapo boot knife in a couch once and almost immediately sat on it.

WHY WAS THE BLADE POINTING UP???

Why do knives hate us so???
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 11:50:52 AM »
I really, really thought the body of the OP's message was going to be "... go to hell!"

I'm not sure why, but it's really funny to me.   cheesy

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 12:13:33 PM »
and slice the tip of your finger to the bone.

Dang! I wish my Leatherman was still that sharp. I need a new stone and more practice.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 12:17:10 PM »
This one is a brand new Leatherman Blast.  I love it, very useful.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 12:36:40 PM »

Found it, alright.
Oooh, branding! There's people who pay lots of money to have that done, and you go and get it for free! laugh

My Dad once managed to shove a red-hot piece of metal into his thigh.  The doc told him, "You cauterized it yourself.  Nothing I can do for ya."   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 12:43:07 PM »
A good reason to use a knife that has a knob or spring to make it easy to open one-handed.  It encourages you to go ahead and close it. 

Also, Never put a knife down on a seat.  Cheesy  I guess that is one thing that has thankfully never happened to me.......so far.

Try carrying a spring assisted knife in your pocket and realizing it is trying to spring open in your pocket. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 01:30:12 PM »
I love it, very useful.

for cutting myself....

grin
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 01:39:49 PM »
A good reason to use a knife that has a knob or spring to make it easy to open one-handed.  It encourages you to go ahead and close it. 

Also, Never put a knife down on a seat.  Cheesy  I guess that is one thing that has thankfully never happened to me.......so far.

Try carrying a spring assisted knife in your pocket and realizing it is trying to spring open in your pocket. 
Knives that can open themselves always struck me as a bad idea.  Sort of like a gun that can fire itself.  There are just some things that you don't want dangerous tools to be able to do without your input.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 02:22:05 PM »
This one is a brand new Leatherman Blast.  I love it, very useful.

I bet you called it some other names.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 03:03:10 PM »
Last night I fished my swiss army mechanic model out of the drawer to fix a zipper for my wife. I partially opened the pliers with the nail nick then stuck my index finger inside to sweep them all the way open. Just as I started to push I realized I had opened the blade, not the pliers and had I swept it open I'd be going to ER, it's damn sharp. Guess that's one for turning on the lights when playing with knives.

Today I learned that when you cut up habanero pepper to go in your lunchtime chicken taco that residue is still on your finger one hour later even if you washed once. You don't know this unless you rub your eye.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 03:50:05 PM »
Last night I fished my swiss army mechanic model out of the drawer to fix a zipper for my wife. I partially opened the pliers with the nail nick then stuck my index finger inside to sweep them all the way open. Just as I started to push I realized I had opened the blade, not the pliers and had I swept it open I'd be going to ER, it's damn sharp. Guess that's one for turning on the lights when playing with knives.

Today I learned that when you cut up habanero pepper to go in your lunchtime chicken taco that residue is still on your finger one hour later even if you washed once. You don't know this unless you rub your eye.
rubbing eye bad!  using poorly washed hand in restroom VERY  bad
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

crt360

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 03:56:50 PM »
Another bit of advice (from personal experience) with a Leatherman Micra:  when attached to a heavy keychain, it will attempt to slip out of your hand, especially when you have the very sharp little blade open, and it will probably cut you, even if you don't reflexively grasp for it as it slips away.
For entertainment purposes only.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 04:40:58 PM »
That little blade on the Micra is really not intended to make a hole in a plastic sign that you want to nail to a post.  Used like an auger one will be able to experience the visual treat of watching the blade attempt to go home into the Micra's handle as it passes through the end of your index finger.  Leaves a nice scar and it takes nearly a year for the slice in the nail material that was below the quick of your nail to fully grow out. shocked
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 04:43:10 PM »
Ok, I think all you guys need to pack up all your fancy expensive knives and send them to me for safe keeping. Before someone ELSE gets hurt. Geez...  cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 04:13:37 AM »
Be wary when pulling your hand out of pants pocket, too. The very pointy blade on your folder may have opened just a bit, catching your finger while it's being removed from your pocket. Contact with said finger can cause the blade to open more, and engage finger ever deeper.

This - I've heard - can cause rather deep cuts which bleed profusely. No, no, I surely haven't experienced this; I just heard about it happening. Really. Honest.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 04:16:30 AM »

I saw someone eating hot wings apparently forget that fact and rub their eye.

To their credit, they only grunted in pain and ran for the bathroom.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 07:34:15 AM »
Pushing on the tip of a non-locking folder is a recipe for disaster *always*.

I folded a BSA knife over on top of my left index finger just behind the knuckle and it sank in almost to the bone. Sheer luck I didn't sever anything but the artery (squirt squirt).

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 02:25:24 PM »
I've got some advice too. Don't cut your own calluses from where you can't see them while distracted. Even if you use the dullest SAK in the world you will eventually cut yourself. I didn't.  sad If you cut your calluses, make sure you can see what you're cutting. If not, have someone else cut them.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 02:54:00 PM »

At least you washed once.  I was still cutting them when I touched my eye (yeah, it happened more than once actually).  No bueno, I held my head under the tap for the next 30 minutes. 

I would also recommend against asking your wife for strippers for your birthday tomorrow (actually I just wanted to rub it in that she said yes).   shocked
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford