Author Topic: 'You Can Put Lipstick on a Pig, But It's Still a Pig'  (Read 8781 times)

MechAg94

• friend
'You Can Put Lipstick on a Pig, But It's Still a Pig'
« on: September 09, 2008, 05:28:44 PM »
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/09/obama-says-mc-1.html

I heard a little commentary on the radio about this.  I was curious how you see this statement by Obama.  I guess some are wondering if it should be taken as a stab at Palin.  I think that is a stretch myself, but it really shows that Obama is not thinking or he has terrible speech writers.  A statement like that doesn't really help him, but hurts if some people take it the wrong way.  I guess I am just thinking there are far too many ways to say the same thing. 

Obama Says McCain Is Offering Fake Change: 'You Can Put Lipstick on a Pig, But It's Still a Pig'

September 09, 2008 6:10 PM

LEBANON, Va. -- "That's not change," Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., said of what Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., is offering.

"You know, you can put lipstick on a pig," Obama said, "but it's still a pig."

The crowd rose and applauded, some of them no doubt thinking he may have been alluding to Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's ad lib during her vice presidential nomination acceptance speech last week, "What's the difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull? Lipstick."

"You can wrap an old fish in a piece of paper called 'change,'" Obama continued, "it's still gonna stink after eight years.

"Weve had enough of the same old thing! Its time to bring about real change to Washington.  And thats the choice youve got in this election."

Obama added that "it is not going to be easy ... John McCain has a compelling biography, you know Sarah Palin is an interesting story."

The crowd booed.

"No, shes new!" Obama said. "She hasnt been on the scene, you know, shes got five kids and my hat goes off to anybody whos looking after five. Ive got two and they tire Michelle and me out!"

--  Jake Tapper and Sunlen Miller

UPDATE: Obama senior adviser Robert Gibbs insists the senator was not referring to Palin. "That's an old expression," Gibbs says.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

longeyes

• friend
Re: 'You Can Put Lipstick on a Pig, But It's Still a Pig'
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 05:33:39 PM »
It's not what you say, it's when you say it and what people think you said.  "Intellectuals" like BHO don't get this, they are too wrapped up in being clever.

Obama lost this war when he passed over Hillary, the killer choice, and gave McCain the opening of a lifetime.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 05:43:45 PM »
Palin makes Obama look like the fool and the empty rhetoric that he is.  Palin has a record of bringing about change and practicing a different type of politics (that is, holding your own party to account for their corruption.)  Obama talks about those things, but has never bothered to do much actual change, or anything else, other than continuing to run for higher and higher offices.  You can put lipstick on a political climber, but you don't need to.  He already looks good.  It's just that he doesn't do anything useful. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 06:04:14 PM »
I heard a comment earlier.  A lady caller mentioned that Palin matches that feminist idea of a successful working mother but she doesn't come off as an "Angry Feminist" or man-hater which is attractive to a lot of women voters.  I don't know, but something is working for that ticket.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 06:25:07 PM »
If you watch the video, the crowd sure thinks BHO is referring to Palin/pig and McCain/smelly old fish.

They go all apey, once it sinks in.

Also, for BHO to be pure in motive and not mean the Palin/pig deal, BHO has to walk The Razor's Edge of Intelligence:
* Too "smart" to deliberately call Palin a pig in lipstick
* Too "dumb" to know how folks would react to any lipstick metaphors

I think Palin has gotten inside his guard, taken him to the mat, and cranking a political half-nelson on his self. 

BHO is getting desperate & sloppy and crudely appealing to his base for support.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 11:17:37 PM »
BHO is getting desperate & sloppy and crudely appealing to his base for support.

Fortunately, the world doesn't get to vote in American elections.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 01:24:40 AM »
It's kinda odd and humorous that the Big O is focusing his campaign efforts on the vice-presidential candidate instead of the Presidential candidate......

I hope McCain realizes just how much he owes Palin for accepting the position and saving his campaign....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 04:01:42 AM »
Do y'all think this means that Obama could overshadow Bush in the mangled words/gaffe department?  Not pronouncing nuclear correct is one thing, but this is nuts. 

I think he was trying to be cute, but stepped in it.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 04:11:40 AM »
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/09/biden-goes-afte.html

Before Obama joke, people were talking about Biden's remark yesterday.  Some people were upset that he was essentially saying that if you don't support federal funding of embryonic stem cell research then you don't love your disabled kids. 
Neat jab, but just like Obama's joke, does it really help you more than it hurts you? 

"I hear all this talk about how the Republicans are going to work in dealing with parents who have both the joy, because there's joy to it as well, the joy and the difficulty of raising a child who has a developmental disability, who were born with a birth defect," Biden said at a rally in Columbia, Missouri. "Well, guess what folks? If you care about it, why don't you support stem cell research?"

Umber

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 04:19:39 AM »
Barry could have avoided this whole flap while still making his point if he had just added, "... I mean, look at Madame Speaker."

Pelosi would have taken that as a compliment coming from Obama.

Umber

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 08:41:42 AM »
"I hear all this talk about how the Republicans are going to work in dealing with parents who have both the joy, because there's joy to it as well, the joy and the difficulty of raising a child who has a developmental disability, who were born with a birth defect," Biden said at a rally in Columbia, Missouri. "Well, guess what folks? If you care about it, why don't you support stem cell research?"

Who is this imaginary group of people that doesn't support stem cell research? 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 09:21:57 AM »

Who is this imaginary group of people that doesn't support stem cell research? 
There isn't one, but you have to remember that in Democrat eyes embryonic stem cell research is all there is.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 10:06:36 AM »
If embryonic stem cell research is so sure to yield the big pot of gold at the end of the rainbow why is the private sector not spending more on it?.
[/rehtorical question]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 03:53:07 PM »
It seems to me Republicans seize every opportunity to avoid issues and engage in the politics of personal humorous destruction.
Fixed it.  Smiley

It is all a matter of degree.  I seriously doubt any of the major media is talking about this stuff a whole lot, but it is there. 
Also remember that we are about to end 8 years of Bush who was demeaned and made fun of for his speaking mistakes since before he was elected.  To say this is a Republican thing is idiotic. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 08:50:22 PM »
It seems to me Republicans seize every opportunity to avoid issues and engage in the politics of personal destruction.

Like you just did?  Both sides do it.  The left actually does it more, because the media is much less likely to punish them for it. 

But in any case, there is a BIG difference between legitimate and meaningful criticism of one's opponent and "personal destruction."  I suspect you are confusing one with the other.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 09:03:35 PM »
It seems to me Republicans politicians seize every opportunity to avoid issues and engage in the politics of personal destruction.

There, I fixed it for you.

יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

S_O_Laban

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 09:18:57 PM »
I think this is a classic case of the Freudian slip.....  As Dennis Miller said earlier tonight...(I'm paraphrasing) "She's (Palin) way inside his melon." 

IOW  I doubt he made a premeditated decision to take a direct swipe at her.... but look what slipped out.   shocked

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 10:23:51 PM »
If embryonic stem cell research is so sure to yield the big pot of gold at the end of the rainbow why is the private sector not spending more on it?.
[/rehtorical question]

Outside the millions of dolalrs they are?

Regardless, it was never an issue of whether we should ban the research, but only whether .gov should fund it.

No.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 12:04:35 AM »

Outside the millions of dolalrs they are?

Regardless, it was never an issue of whether we should ban the research, but only whether .gov should fund it.

No.

In fairness, the GOP did vote to ban public and private research in their platform. 

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=YjM0MGNmZjY2NGIyYzYzMjhmMzI0MGRmODZlZmM5ZDA=
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 05:13:00 AM »
I really don't mind the "lipstick" comment from Obama, and while I understand what McCain is trying to do with his ad about it, I really wish that Limbaugh, Hannity, & Co. didn't feel like they had to devote entire hours to the thing.  "OMG, Obama attacked Palin!"   They are acting just like libs, Palin doesn't need anyone to play the victim for her, she's tougher than that.  I'm getting irritated that these non-issues are continually getting blown out of proportion.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 07:44:10 AM »
If you watch the video, the crowd sure thinks BHO is referring to Palin/pig and McCain/smelly old fish.

They go all apey, once it sinks in.

Also, for BHO to be pure in motive and not mean the Palin/pig deal, BHO has to walk The Razor's Edge of Intelligence:
* Too "smart" to deliberately call Palin a pig in lipstick
* Too "dumb" to know how folks would react to any lipstick metaphors
*We have a winner.*

jfruser is absolutely correct.

Listen to the timing of the remark.  He deliberately pauses after the 'you can put lipstick on a pig,' part and waits for the crowd before carrying on to the punchline.  The timing is absolutely deliberate.

If the audience weren't clued in, it would make as much sense as pausing after "If a frog had wings," *pause for laughter* "he wouldn't bump his ass a-hoppin"

If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 08:22:10 AM »
In fairness, the GOP did vote to ban public and private research in their platform. 

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=YjM0MGNmZjY2NGIyYzYzMjhmMzI0MGRmODZlZmM5ZDA=

One would certainly hope so. 

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008, 08:34:04 AM »
Before this campaign is over Hillary will be putting lipstick on Barack and asking him, "Who's yo mamma?"
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Intune

• The Shakes
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 09:33:12 AM »
Tennessee Democrat Rep. Steve Cohen, was on the House floor giving a one-minute speech Wednesday when he offered the following comparisons.

If you want change, you want the Democratic Party, Cohen said.  angel Barack Obama angel was a community organizer like Jesus, who our minister prayed about. Pontius Pilate was a governor.

Give me the pig and a case of lipstick.  Pigs don't suffer from Mad-Cow Disease.