Author Topic: Gotta Hit Those Numbers, Barry.  (Read 5579 times)

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
Gotta Hit Those Numbers, Barry.
« on: September 09, 2008, 01:09:29 PM »
http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/09/09/america/09donate.php

After months of record-breaking fund-raising, a new sense of urgency in Senator Barack Obama's fund-raising team is palpable as the full weight of the campaign's decision to bypass public financing for the general election is suddenly upon it.

Pushing a fund-raiser later this month, a finance staff member sent a sharply worded note last week to Illinois members of its national finance committee, calling their recent efforts "extremely anemic."

At a convention-week meeting in Denver of the campaign's top fund-raisers, buttons with the image of a money tree were distributed to those who had already contributed the maximum $2,300 to the general election, a subtle reminder to those who had failed to ante up.

The signs of concern have become evident in recent weeks as early fund-raising totals have suggested that Obama's decision to bypass public financing may not necessarily afford him the commanding financing advantage over Senator John McCain that many had originally predicted.

Presidential candidates in a general election have typically relied on two main sources of money: public financing, along with additional money their parties raise. In choosing to accept the public money, the McCain campaign now gets an $84 million cash infusion from the United States Treasury. McCain is barred from raising any more money for his own campaign coffers but can lean on money raised by the Republican National Committee, which has continued to exceed expectations.

Meanwhile, Obama campaign officials had calculated that with its vaunted fund-raising machine, driven by both small contributors over the Internet and a powerful high-dollar donor network, it made more sense to forgo public financing so they could raise and spend unlimited sums.

But the campaign is struggling to meet ambitious fund-raising goals it set for the campaign and the party. It collected in June and July far less from Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton's donors than originally projected. Moreover, McCain, unlike Obama, will have the luxury of concentrating almost entirely on campaigning instead of raising money, as Obama must do.

The Obama campaign does not have to report its August fund-raising totals until next week, so it is difficult to tally what it has in the bank at this point. A spokesman said that August was its best fund-raising month yet and that the campaign's fund-raising was on track. But the campaign finished July with slightly less cash on hand with the Democratic National Committee compared with McCain and the R.N.C. The Obama campaign has also been spending heavily, including several million more than the McCain campaign in advertising in August.

A California fund-raiser familiar with the party's August performance estimated that it raised roughly $17 million last month, a drop-off from the previous month, and finished with just $13 million in the bank.

So, what was his major counter to the executive experience claim last week, again?  Oh, yeah.  He was running this really big campaign with a lot of people and a big budget.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Gotta Hit Those Numbers, Barry.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 01:16:09 PM »
Hehe. Maybe soon they will have to park the campaign planes and buses...those things are expensive. Looks like maybe they will have to go Greyhound....

:lol

Leftists who can't manage a campaign without going broke. How appropriate.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 01:25:57 PM »
I still love reading that comment about how his only executive position is running his own campaign.  It is like saying, "Elect me for POTUS because my best qualification is running for POTUS".

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 01:36:01 PM »
Good point.  While Palin has been getting elected, and then DOING THINGS she was elected to do; Obama has merely gotten himself elected.  This is why Obama's "experience" is less impressive than Palin's. 

He also protested that being a "community organizer" was relevant experience for a President.  Which undercut his earlier attempts to minimize Palin's experience as a mayor.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 01:37:12 PM »
I still love reading that comment about how his only executive position is running his own campaign.  It is like saying, "Elect me for POTUS because my best qualification is running for POTUS".
Well then, when he loses nobody will be able to say that he was qualified.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 01:50:39 PM »
Meanwhile, it appears he has flipped out:

Obama: 'Lipstick on a pig'

Amie Parnes reports from Lebanon, VA:

Obama poked fun of McCain and Palin's new "change" mantra.

"You can put lipstick on a pig," he said as the crowd cheered. "It's still a pig."

"You can wrap an old fish in a piece of paper called change. It's still gonna stink."

"We've had enough of the same old thing."

The crowd apparently took the "lipstick" line as a reference to Palin, who described the difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull in a single word: "lipstick."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0908/Obama_Lipstick_on_a_pig.html

Maybe he is trying to cover for Biden's earlier "Stand up, Chuck!" gaffe?

"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 02:44:02 PM »
"Lipstick on a pig" is a common expression, at least here in the States. 

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 03:19:06 PM »
Looks like Candidate "Change, Hope and Reform", got bamboozeled.  Since most of his contributors have already given the $2300 max during the primary, his funding sources have dried up.  And big FU he gave to Hillary and her supporters have all but guaranteed that those purses will stay closed until 2012.  (Anyone seen Hillary out there stumping for BHO ??) 

Is it to soon to predict that The Chosen One is going to do a '69 Cubs (or more recent '08 Mets) style Flame-Out heading into the General election ??

I also saw that McCain is trying to put California into play and is opening offices, spending money and campaigning there........(with the nice side effect of forcing BHO to spend mo' money in what should be a "safe" state.)     
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 03:22:18 PM »
"Lipstick on a pig" is a common expression, at least here in the States. 

If this had come up as "a figure of speech", yes. Given this (I apologise for the branding, its the only youtube link I could find so far of him actually saying it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npx-iLv5Cec

it appears its fairly obvious who he is referring to. 

a more complete link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfiqdRhGNqw
"Make peace, you fools"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 05:37:29 PM »
Yeah, he was referring to McCain's platform.  I still don't see how the comment is offensive, sexist, or an obvious reference to Palin's hockey-mom joke.  But if it is a play on Palin's joke, it's a good one.

But I just love how McCain was a "maverick" a couple of years ago, and so many Bush supporters were (and many still are) very upset with McCain's differences from George Bush, yet now McCain is George Bush III.  I also like how Obama pretends that McCain's message of change is to be interpreted as a complete break with Bush's policies.  They're in the same party, there, genius. 

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 05:38:32 PM »
I think it's a very poorly-executed jab at Palin's lipstick line.  So poor, in fact, that nobody really knows what to make of it, or even whether it was supposed to be a jab in the first place.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 11:35:49 PM »
fistful,

TBH I think you are being a bit obtuse here, certainly the crowd worked out who he was referring to (as was his intention, given the pause he makes).  As for it being offensive or sexist, perhaps not - but it can easily be spun that way, and one can only imagine the reaction had a similar comment (albeit about race) been made from the McCain camp to Obama.

"Make peace, you fools"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 02:20:48 AM »
Nope.  Honestly, mate.  Any reference to lipstick is about Palin, now?  No make sense. 

Like I said, "putting lipstick on a pig," is a common way of saying that a person is dressing something up to make it look like something it ain't.  That's exactly the point he was trying to make. 

agricola

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 04:38:51 AM »
Nope.  Honestly, mate.  Any reference to lipstick is about Palin, now?  No make sense. 

Like I said, "putting lipstick on a pig," is a common way of saying that a person is dressing something up to make it look like something it ain't.  That's exactly the point he was trying to make. 

I agree with you that its a common expression and that the phrase is used quite a lot, but in the context of the last week, given that the crowd fairly obviously understood the remark as an attack on Palin and given that several of Obama's surrogates seem to have been saying much the same thing*, there is surely rather more to this than just "a common expression".

* http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0908/Carnahan_Theres_no_way_you_can_dress_up_that_record_even_with_a_lot_of_lipstick.html?showall

"Make peace, you fools"

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 11:23:29 AM »
Looks like Candidate "Change, Hope and Reform", got bamboozeled.

I knew it was a scam!

We didn't land on Plymouth Rock, the Media landed on us!

I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 11:26:10 AM »
A California fund-raiser familiar with the party's August performance estimated that it raised roughly $17 million last month, a drop-off from the previous month, and finished with just $13 million in the bank.
That is not good news for BHO if true.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.