Author Topic: Matt Damon: Sarah Palin Presidency Would Be Like a 'Really Bad Disney Movie'  (Read 23588 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,420621,00.html

Actor Matt Damon said a Sarah Palin presidency would be like "a really bad Disney movie."

"I think there's a really good chance Sarah Palin could become president, and I think that's a really scary thing," he told the Associated Press, referring to the Republican vice presidential nominee.

Damon suggested the odds are John McCain won't survive his first term.

"It's like a really bad Disney movie," he said. "The hockey mom, you know, 'Oh, I'm just a hockey mom'... and she's facing down [Russian] President Putin... It's totally absurd... It's a really terrifying possibility."

Damon also said he believes she was chosen for "political purposes."

Last month, the actor told Conde Nast Traveler he fears putting his foot in his mouth.

"For a lot of actors, our biggest fear is that we're going to start talking about things we don't fully understand and sound like idiots," he said. "In the long run, I'll do much more good if, when I open my mouth, I have something worth saying."

Well looks like you need to try again.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MicroBalrog

• friend
Someone actually CARES about Damon's political opinion?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
As opposed to the afterschool special that is "The Obama Story"?
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

red headed stranger

• friend
But would it be as bad as a bad Matt Damon movie?   grin
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Lennyjoe

• friend
I actually like the Boirne series. As for his political views, who gives a damn what he thinks.

wmenorr67

• friend
I actually like the Boirne series. As for his political views, who gives a damn what he thinks.

The problem is too many sheep will baa along with "famous" people because they are "famous."
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
*Team America voice*  Matt Damon. grin

To further paraphrase Team America, it is his job as a celebrity to read newspapers and then tell us all what to think.

Matt Damon.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa

Well, duh .....

Newsflash: politician makes choice based on "political purposes" rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Dntsycnt

• friend
He has a point, even if it's not an especially original/insightful one.

I'm not comfortable with the idea of Palin cracking lipstick jokes with Putin.  Of course, all she'll have to do is take one look at his crucifix and she'll know that he's an honest man.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Lord knows he knows about bad movies, having made so many of them...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog

Well, duh .....

Newsflash: politician makes choice based on "political purposes" rolleyes
I was gonna say that.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
I'm not comfortable with the idea of Palin cracking lipstick jokes with Putin. 

But you would be comforatable with BHO facing off with Putin?
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

agricola

• friend
He has a point, even if it's not an especially original/insightful one.

I'm not comfortable with the idea of Palin cracking lipstick jokes with Putin.  Of course, all she'll have to do is take one look at his crucifix and she'll know that he's an honest man.

Admittedly this is somewhat a problem of the Repub's own making (since they and Hillary attacked Obama with it), but I do wish people would realise that the vast majority of diplomatic contacts occur at levels below (in some cases far below) the head of state - a good Foriegn Secretary / FO (or Secretary of State, in your language) doing their job properly is far better than having a "knowledgeable on foriegn policy" PM / President, as history will attest.

Besides, one would have thought dealing with Putin would be remarkably easy - its not as if its not blatantly obvious what he is and what his aims are.  A bigger test would be dealing with the weaselry at the EU and NATO.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Dntsycnt

• friend
but I do wish people would realise that the vast majority of diplomatic contacts occur at levels below (in some cases far below) the head of state - a good Foriegn Secretary / FO (or Secretary of State, in your language) doing their job properly is far better than having a "knowledgeable on foriegn policy" PM / President, as history will attest.

This is something that bears repeating, and something that didn't really hit home until I read Doug Feith's book, War and Decision, which touched on some of that.  However, the President does play a major role in deciding what approaches we should make, and is a definite and substantial influence.

Besides, one would have thought dealing with Putin would be remarkably easy - its not as if its not blatantly obvious what he is and what his aims are.  A bigger test would be dealing with the weaselry at the EU and NATO.

An interesting point to make, but I'm still more worried about the aggressive guy with access to a vast nuclear arsenal. 

Manedwolf

• friend
Besides, one would have thought dealing with Putin would be remarkably easy - its not as if its not blatantly obvious what he is and what his aims are.  A bigger test would be dealing with the weaselry at the EU and NATO.

He has a nuclear arsenal that can destroy the world, and he'll put polonium in your tea.

Not really the nicest guy.

agricola

• friend

He has a nuclear arsenal that can destroy the world, and he'll put polonium in your tea.

Not really the nicest guy.

No, but as I said, he is what he is and he is very likely to be treated accordingly.  A bigger problem (for you in the US at least) are your "allies" and their self-important, self-righteous posturing.
"Make peace, you fools"

longeyes

• friend
Hollywood's opposition to Palin has nothing to do with her staring down V. Putin.  (As if Barack Obama could?)

She has too many children IN wedlock.  That bugs the hell out of them.  And, yeah, she's a devout Christian, perish the thought.

She's a threat to their narcissistic lifestyle.  Of course they aren't going to tell you the truth.  Their lives are about "pretend."
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in

Huh?

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend

Huh?

A reference to GWB stating once he looked into Putin's eyes and knew he was an honest man, I think.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
Seconded.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

longeyes

• friend
Who says we will be enemies of Russia anyway?

A nationalistic Russia may inspire--not now, eventually--a more nationalistic America.  There are many reasons why the U.S. and Russia are likely allies, not enemies.

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Manedwolf

• friend

A nationalistic Russia may inspire--not now, eventually--a more nationalistic America.  There are many reasons why the U.S. and Russia are likely allies, not enemies.

Actually, Russia is allying with Venezuela. They just put bombers there for a joint exercise.

Putin is an evil man. Pure and simple.

MicroBalrog

• friend

Dude.

There's Russian government propaganda put out that depicts America as Cthulhu. Literally.

agricola

• friend

Dude.

There's Russian government propaganda put out that depicts America as Cthulhu. Literally.

grin

"Make peace, you fools"

The Annoyed Man

Well, I'll be sure to ask him the next time I want an informed opinion on US politics. Also, I'll consult Julia Roberts for all my future medical problems, and Britney Spears for all my financial consulting rolleyes.