Author Topic: Guess what? The SHTF! For real!  (Read 6538 times)

zahc

• friend
Re: Guess what? The SHTF! For real!
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2008, 12:42:03 PM »
Propane is a good option also as you can keep propane around and not worry about it going bad. 

The key to keeping gas forever is keeping it in metal cans. And you can use Sta-Bil if you want.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2008, 01:09:18 PM »
It all depends on what you have a ready supply of.  I can get propane.  I have natural gas and never lost it.  Gasoline has been hard to come by the last few days.  Do I want a big propane tank, a big gasoline tank, or just an upsized natural gas regulator and hope it doesn't get cut off?  It would probably depend on where you live and what is available and if you want to use the generator for other stuff.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2008, 04:33:33 PM »
they make regulators for propane to convert gas generators  and you can switch fuels while running couple hundred bucks
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 03:49:29 AM »
I spoke too soon back at the beginning.  As you can see by the lack of additional responses, the power was on briefly, but then went away.  Hope to get it back soon.  So, my internet

And, I was being a bit "tongue in cheek" about it being a SHTF situation.  What it has done is give me an opportunity to try out a few things to see how they work when they need to, and what I need to do to make "The Plan" better.  ON the plus side, I found out that we are the only ones on out street with a gas stove, which made us friends with everyone.  What I'm getting in return is food and dishwashing services, plus armed guards for my house while I'm at work.  I cooked for the neighborhood last night.  Pasta and homemade meatballs.

My grills were saved (both as and charcoal), and we've got a big barbeque planned for Saturday!  Everyone has chicken in the freezer, and I've got a couple of pork butts waiting to be smoked.

I always wondered what it would be like to be in a hurricane.  Now I know what the winds are like, and I can pass on the water, thank you.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 09:59:35 AM »
Just east of Dallas area here and we got some winds, nothing bad, all the leaves are still on the trees.
It rained all day Saturday, which my lawn appreciated, especially since preparations for the storms was to
get the fertilizer down.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2008, 10:05:55 AM »
I spoke too soon back at the beginning.  As you can see by the lack of additional responses, the power was on briefly, but then went away.  Hope to get it back soon.  So, my internet

And, I was being a bit "tongue in cheek" about it being a SHTF situation.  What it has done is give me an opportunity to try out a few things to see how they work when they need to, and what I need to do to make "The Plan" better.  ON the plus side, I found out that we are the only ones on out street with a gas stove, which made us friends with everyone.  What I'm getting in return is food and dishwashing services, plus armed guards for my house while I'm at work.  I cooked for the neighborhood last night.  Pasta and homemade meatballs.

My grills were saved (both as and charcoal), and we've got a big barbeque planned for Saturday!  Everyone has chicken in the freezer, and I've got a couple of pork butts waiting to be smoked.

I always wondered what it would be like to be in a hurricane.  Now I know what the winds are like, and I can pass on the water, thank you.

Dude, in most parts of the world, you'd be considered the local warlord.  grin   I bet a lot of neighboring townships would be a tad nervous if a hurricane came through.   

"Judge Chris, Lord of War" does have a nice ring to it, no?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2008, 12:05:03 PM »
Bring him the gun of Rambo.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2008, 12:10:38 PM »
Bring him the gun of Rambo.

Part 1, 2, or 3?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2008, 04:10:02 PM »
As of now, I have power as do more and more people.  My brother is in Spring, TX.  He is 70 to 80 miles from the coast on the North side of Houston.  He is still without power.  The dang storm hit across 100 miles or more of coast line. 

If you were on Galveston Island, you are likely still in a bad situation.  They were letting people come in to check houses, but they had to stop that as people were going everyone but to their house. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2008, 07:02:04 PM »
Warlord?  Just because I can cook?  Surely you jest!   cheesy

As for the Gun of Rambo...thanks but I'll pass.  Never cared for the M-60 when I was in the Army...

As an aside, the power is back on, all day today.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2008, 07:34:27 PM »
Warlord?  Just because I can cook?  Surely you jest!   cheesy

As for the Gun of Rambo...thanks but I'll pass.  Never cared for the M-60 when I was in the Army...

As an aside, the power is back on, all day today.

Laugh, but the amount of food you control is more important than the number of guns in many places.

M60 isn't a bad design.  Just a lot of the guns they bought were poorly build.  M240 is a slightly better design, but more importantly, actually built to specs.  John Ross' book covers the issues with the GI issued M60's better than I can.  If you want a very good M60, go with one built for AA work.  Not sure why, but that batch tends to be built better.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2008, 04:06:45 AM »
I just hated humping the M-60, the ammo, and all of the gear you needed to make it work well.  I've got a preference for the M-16/M-4 for weight reasons...

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2008, 04:16:56 AM »
Up here in Saint Louis, we got a sustained, TORRENTIAL downpour for over twelve hours on Sunday.  We also had (still have) some flooding.  The rivers are supposed to be getting higher over the next couple of days.

We also had a very, very heavy rain a couple of weeks ago. 

Yet you folks in Dallas and Austin got nothin' but a little rain?

So confused. 

Well, obviously the Big Man Upstairs is displeased with the MO heathen, especially since that can be mistaken for "mo' heathen," which is not his objective. 

Maybe if you erected a few more gauche mega-churches and Baptidomes*, you would avoid His wrath.

* No relation to "Thunderdome"
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton