Author Topic: Coffee drinkers: have you always liked coffee, or was it an acquired taste?  (Read 21166 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Coffee drinkers: have you always liked coffee, or was it an acquired taste?
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2008, 10:18:23 PM »
Oh yea....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRw4ZRqmxOc

That video explains some of my biological functions in the morning.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

ctdonath

• friend
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2008, 10:17:20 AM »
Do you like the taste of coffee

Yes. Black.

Actually didn't start drinking coffee until I was 35. Don't recall the circumstances, but did decide up front that if I was going to drink coffee I was going to drink COFFEE, not some coffee-flavored warmed-over milkshake. Fortunately, my father was getting into roasting then, and was well-versed on how to make a proper cup o joe.

I also started drinking beer around the same time. Basically got started in Munich, where beer is made right (world's oldest food purity laws mandate only four ingredients to beer, and reject pasturization).

I mention the latter as they both suffer the same problem: in the USA, the common forms of coffee and beer, well, suck. In being homoginized for mass consumption by millions, the popular products have been reduced to their lowest common denominator. The actual good stuff can't be produced consistently in mass quantities; most corporations & customers value consistency over quality. Ergo, coffee is "French roasted" (i.e.: borderline charcoal) into a tasteless bitter goo, and beer is carbonated yeast waste, which the masses have been taught is "good".

Upshot is I've been exposed to good coffee and good beer, and like both for their appealingly non-sweet complex flavors. Folgers and Bud are perfect examples of why people think they don't like either drink (they shouldn't if they're drinking crud) and don't understand why people do. Let me make you a good cup of quality black coffee, and take you to a proper Bavarian bar, and maybe you'll change your mind.
Now reading: The Unthinkable, The Age of Innocence
Recently read: 1491

Teknoid

« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2008, 06:48:44 PM »
+1 on the beer. Most American breweries produce swill. If I buy that stuff, it's for uneducated company. The largest brewery that IMHO produces a drinkable beer is Sam Adams. I feel the same way about off the shelf coffee.
In a pinch, I'll buy some whole bean stuff at the store, but it's always old, stale, and second rate.

ShrinkMD

« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2008, 09:10:56 PM »
SweetMarias.com is your friend.

I started out with the Zassenhaus manual grinder (gotta work a little for your morning cup) and a french press, but I now use the Technivorm coffee maker.  Expensive, but it works great.  The coffee is more flavorful and hotter than your average Mr. Coffee.  And it looks cool.

I still miss my vacuum brewer from Black and Decker.  They stopped making it because people were too lazy/stupid to clean it properly.  It made wonderful coffee, but was a pain to clean.  Then the plastic cracked, and I couldn't find another one on Ebay.  So on to the Technivorm.

Also, check out the reviews on Coffeegeek.com

Don't care

« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2008, 10:59:36 PM »
I've never liked coffee, though there are times I wish I would have developed a taste for it.

It seems that I'd rather just have a good bourbon.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2008, 10:19:12 AM »
SweetMarias.com is your friend.

I started out with the Zassenhaus manual grinder (gotta work a little for your morning cup) and a french press, but I now use the Technivorm coffee maker.  Expensive, but it works great.  The coffee is more flavorful and hotter than your average Mr. Coffee.  And it looks cool.

I still miss my vacuum brewer from Black and Decker.  They stopped making it because people were too lazy/stupid to clean it properly.  It made wonderful coffee, but was a pain to clean.  Then the plastic cracked, and I couldn't find another one on Ebay.  So on to the Technivorm.

Also, check out the reviews on Coffeegeek.com

+1 on Sweet Maria's.  I've always had excellent service from them.

Need to get myself a really good coffee maker - I've come to the conclusion, over the years, that Mr. Coffee does a COMPETENT job, but I want something that'll do a GOOD (or maybe even GREAT) job.  My first cup from a fresh pot is warm, not hot, telling me the water's really not getting to the filter basket at near-boiling temps.  Guess I'd better start saving...

neviander

« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2008, 10:49:17 AM »
When I first started drinking it, I really didn't like the taste of the cheap stuff at all, but the caffeine jolt was fantastic.  I drink the normal Maxwell House/Foldgers fare now, but I'm pretty sure the caffeine association was the only thing that made me acquire a taste for coffee.  I still lean on the caffeine in the morning, but have learned to curb the intake, as the caffeine crash is worse than a sugar crash, if not tempered with water and/or food.  Cream and sugar in mine, thanks.

Having read a lot of everyone's disdain for commercial coffee, let me add, I actually LIKE the taste of bourbon, I drink it straight, on the rocks, so anything that may have a "burnt" or "bitter" taste, holds some strange allure for me :)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 11:09:27 AM by neviander »
"be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves."

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2008, 12:59:10 PM »
I grew up drinking both hot and iced tea.  Never liked coffee, but the smell was wonderful.  After college I spent a lot of time in restaurants meeting people and so forth and it was too much trouble to drink hot tea.  So enter coffee into the picture.  I drink it black with no additives.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

grumpyguido

« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2008, 02:16:16 PM »
Definitly an acquired taste. I was a young GI in Korea in 1966. Cold as hell. The older guys advised me to drink it black.
MSG, USA, RET

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2008, 04:09:38 PM »
+1 on Sweet Maria's.  I've always had excellent service from them.

Need to get myself a really good coffee maker - I've come to the conclusion, over the years, that Mr. Coffee does a COMPETENT job, but I want something that'll do a GOOD (or maybe even GREAT) job.  My first cup from a fresh pot is warm, not hot, telling me the water's really not getting to the filter basket at near-boiling temps.  Guess I'd better start saving...

Yep, save up and get a Bunn home model for about a hundred bucks. H-O-Double-T hot coffee in about three minutes. Best investment in a kitchen item I've ever made.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2008, 05:20:06 PM »
And if you shop around a little, you can get a used industrial-sized Bunn... Which RAWKS. Three minutes, and hot enough to burn your genitalia off...

Blog under construction

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2008, 05:22:46 PM »
Three minutes, and hot enough to burn your genitalia off...

Damn, Bogie.  Just...damn.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2008, 11:36:48 PM »
And if you shop around a little, you can get a used industrial-sized Bunn... Which RAWKS. Three minutes, and hot enough to burn your genitalia off...

That's the ticket. =D
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2008, 09:35:07 AM »

Ummm... [lolcatz]Ur doin it RONG.[/lolcatz]  =D

Jeff B.

« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2008, 10:38:04 AM »
Started off in high school at work in a warehouse, drinking it "regular" with a cream and two sugars.  Went like that through college.  Found out once I got in the Army that if you were fortunate to find hot coffee to fill your thermos, you took what you could get.  As a rsult, I got used to drinking it black, whic has stuck with me all these years.  I do beleive that you can tell a good cup from a bad cup right away when its black.

We've been through a number of coffee makers over the years, the current and my favorite so far is a Keurig pod style brewer we got at Costco.  I use dthe commercial version at a customers and thought it was great.  My wife like that nasty flavored coffee, my daughters like tea and I like a robust cup of joe.  By having a variety of pods on hand, everybody is happy.  Way cheaper than the foo-foo coffee places, also.

Jeff B.
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits"
Plutarch

ctdonath

• friend
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2008, 09:44:27 AM »
Another bump for SweetMarias.com - get the AeroPress for perfect single-servings.
Now reading: The Unthinkable, The Age of Innocence
Recently read: 1491

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2008, 12:50:19 PM »
Three minutes, and hot enough to burn your genitalia off...

I bet Dunkin' Donuts has a restraining order out on you.....  :O
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.