Main Forums > The Roundtable

No DUI in crash that killed Biden's 1st wife, but he's implied otherwise

<< < (3/4) > >>

Stand_watie:

--- Quote from: MicroBalrog on September 21, 2008, 09:08:31 PM ---Guys, explain this to me, please, I'm a bit confused.

What benefit does Biden gain from doing this? I don't doubt this story, I'm just dumbfounded as to why someone would come up  with such a strange lie.

How does the claim his wife was killed by a drunk  driver rather than a non-drunk driver help Biden politically? Sympathy?

I'm guessing here, that the context of his discussing this is him patting himself on the back for some sort of anti-drinking/driving legislation.

Jamisjockey:

--- Quote from: shootinstudent on September 21, 2008, 05:42:52 PM ---
--- Quote from: Monkeyleg on September 21, 2008, 05:05:12 PM ---Not the first politician to use a dead relative as a prop.

I wonder why the Dunn family hasn't sued.

They didn't meet a lawyer who was desperate enough for cash to misrepresent some odd chance of winning a lawsuit.

Honestly, I do not see the controversy here-he thinks the guy was drinking, and unless this is connected to some weird MADD event or something similar, I'm not sure how it has anything to do with his political antics.

The article is oddly vague about the case too-it seems to only evidence offered is a Judge who says "there would have been a charge" had there been alcohol.

Um, because it generates more sympathy. 

Stand_watie:

--- Quote from: shootinstudent on September 21, 2008, 05:42:52 PM ---..The article is oddly vague about the case too-it seems to only evidence offered is a Judge who says "there would have been a charge" had there been alcohol.

You have to presume from the article that Justice O'Hearliy is truthful. Other than that, it's a reasonable presumption that the guy ".. who was chief deputy attorney general and worked with crash investigators in 1972"  would know the details of the investigation. Especially when you have Biden's own spokesperson dodging slander suits by agreeing with the truck drivers family
--- Quote ---..Biden spokesman David Wade said Wednesday that the senator "fully accepts the Dunn family's word that these rumors were false."

Silver Bullet:
Biden was sent packing the last time he ran for president due to plagiarism of papers he did in college:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DE3DB143FF93BA2575AC0A961948260

--- Quote ---Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr., fighting to salvage his Presidential campaign, today acknowledged ''a mistake'' in his youth, when he plagiarized a law review article for a paper he wrote in his first year at law school.

Mr. Biden insisted, however, that he had done nothing ''malevolent,'' that he had simply misunderstood the need to cite sources carefully. And he asserted that another controversy, concerning recent reports of his using material from others' speeches without attribution, was ''much ado about nothing.''

Mr. Biden, the 44-year-old Delaware Democrat who heads the Senate Judiciary Committee, addressed these issues at the Capitol in a morning news conference he had called expressly for that purpose. The news conference was held just before he presided over the third day of hearings on the nomination of Judge Robert H. Bork to the Supreme Court.

To buttress his assertions of sincerity and openness, Mr. Biden released a 65-page file, obtained by the Senator from the Syracuse University College of Law, that he said contained all the records of his years there. It disclosed relatively poor grades in college and law school, mixed evaluations from teachers and details of the plagiarism.
I still havent seen any references to this recently in the liberalMedia.

De Selby:

--- Quote from: MicroBalrog on September 21, 2008, 09:08:31 PM ---Guys, explain this to me, please, I'm a bit confused.

What benefit does Biden gain from doing this? I don't doubt this story, I'm just dumbfounded as to why someone would come up  with such a strange lie.

How does the claim his wife was killed by a drunk  driver rather than a non-drunk driver help Biden politically? Sympathy?

I don't see it either-coupled with the fact that this has not been a centerpiece (or even a widely known piece) of his campaign, I'm left scratching my head at the controversy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version