Author Topic: Rehearsing- an aside  (Read 2135 times)

• friend
Rehearsing- an aside
« on: September 23, 2008, 09:01:02 AM »
I walked out onto my deck.  I heard a voice that was stating various facts quite well.  I was puzzled and went to find said voice.  I found my nephew who is staying with us.  He was collecting horse manure.  He does that as part of the agreement we have.  He gets to live with us and attend college.  He helps clean up around the farm which is actually an even trade for room-and-board.

But, I was amazed that he was actually rehearsing his presentation for a class.  That's a sound method for a presenter.  I work at a university and I don't see that everyday.  But my nephew said he has to do that since he is limited in both time and subject.  I used to do that for most of the classes that I taught.  It was the only way I felt prepared.  It's a sound and well-established method for a presenter. 

Maybe there is hope for us.  Maybe some of our young have common sense.  Just when you're about to give up on them...

Just an aside about the youth of today when I just about gave up on them.  Shame on me!

sumpnz

• friend
Re: Rehearsing- an aside
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 09:07:02 AM »
I walked out onto my deck.  I heard a voice that was stating various facts quite well.  I was puzzled and went to find said voice.  I found my nephew who is staying with us.  He was collecting horse manure.  He does that as part of the agreement we have.  He gets to live with us and attend college.  He helps clean up around the farm which is actually an even trade for room-and-board.

But, I was amazed that he was actually rehearsing his presentation for a class.  That's a sound method for a presenter.  I work at a university and I don't see that everyday.  But my nephew said he has to do that since he is limited in both time and subject.  I used to do that for most of the classes that I taught.  It was the only way I felt prepared.  It's a sound and well-established method for a presenter. 

Maybe there is hope for us.  Maybe some of our young have common sense.  Just when you're about to give up on them...

Just an aside about the youth of today when I just about gave up on them.  Shame on me!

So he was going over the finer points of the Democratic Party platform and election tactics?

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 09:18:59 AM »
Actually, he was going over his speech on brewing beer.  He is an Obama supporter, but he makes a mean beer.

I forgive his political taste since his beer making skills almost outweigh that error in judgment.   laugh

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 10:01:52 AM »
Note that I had bolded the part about him rehearsing while collection horse manure.  That was what my comment was related to.

Until I had kids I was a prolific homebrewer myself.  Still wouldn't have supported Obama though, even back then. 

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 10:39:29 AM »
No, you've got it wrong: FIRST you drink the brew. THEN you become an Obama supporter. If not, then more beer!  grin

TC
TC
RT Refugee

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 11:14:09 AM »
No, you've got it wrong: FIRST you drink the brew. THEN you become an Obama supporter. If not, then more beer!  grin

TC
I don't think there's enough beer on the planet for me to make THAT transition . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain