Author Topic: PETA Urges Ben & Jerry's To Use Human Milk  (Read 12680 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
PETA Urges Ben & Jerry's To Use Human Milk
« on: September 23, 2008, 10:44:39 PM »
http://www.kctv5.com/health/17539627/detail.html

VERMONT -- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals sent a letter to Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, cofounders of Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc., urging them to replace cow's milk they use in their ice cream products with human breast milk, according to a statement recently released by a PETA spokeswoman.

"PETA's request comes in the wake of news reports that a Swiss restaurant owner will begin purchasing breast milk from nursing mothers and substituting breast milk for 75 percent of the cow's milk in the food he serves," the statement says.

PETA officials say a move to human breast milk would lessen the suffering of dairy cows and their babies on factory farms and benefit human health.

"The fact that human adults consume huge quantities of dairy products made from milk that was meant for a baby cow just doesn't make sense," says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. "Everyone knows that 'the breast is best,' so Ben & Jerry's could do consumers and cows a big favor by making the switch to breast milk."

In a statement Ben and Jerry's said, "We applaud PETA's novel approach to bringing attention to an issue, but we believe a mother's milk is best used for her child."

Read PETA's letter to Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield

September 23, 2008

Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, Cofounders

Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc.

Dear Mr. Cohen and Mr. Greenfield,

On behalf of PETA and our more than 2 million members and supporters, I'd like to bring your attention to an innovative new idea from Switzerland that would bring a unique twist to Ben and Jerry's.

Storchen restaurant is set to unveil a menu that includes soups, stews, and sauces made with at least 75 percent breast milk procured from human donors who are paid in exchange for their milk. If Ben and Jerry's replaced the cow's milk in its ice cream with breast milk, your customers-and cows-would reap the benefits.

Using cow's milk for your ice cream is a hazard to your customer's health. Dairy products have been linked to juvenile diabetes, allergies, constipation, obesity, and prostate and ovarian cancer. The late Dr. Benjamin Spock, America's leading authority on child care, spoke out against feeding cow's milk to children, saying it may play a role in anemia, allergies, and juvenile diabetes and in the long term, will set kids up for obesity and heart disease-America's number one cause of death.

Animals will also benefit from the switch to breast milk. Like all mammals, cows only produce milk during and after pregnancy, so to be able to constantly milk them, cows are forcefully impregnated every nine months. After several years of living in filthy conditions and being forced to produce 10 times more milk than they would naturally, their exhausted bodies are turned into hamburgers or ground up for soup.

And of course, the veal industry could not survive without the dairy industry. Because male calves can't produce milk, dairy farmers take them from their mothers immediately after birth and sell them to veal farms, where they endure 14 to 17 weeks of torment chained inside a crate so small that they can't even turn around.

The breast is best! Won't you give cows and their babies a break and our health a boost by switching from cow's milk to breast milk in Ben and Jerry's ice cream? Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Tracy Reiman

Executive Vice President

So what happens to children of the moms being used as human cows?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

The Annoyed Man

Re: PETA Urges Ben & Jerry's To Use Human Milk
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 01:50:41 AM »
ewww.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 01:54:59 AM »
Just when you think an organization cannot become any more insane.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 02:08:40 AM »
Think of the new flavors that would be possible. "Mother's Milk" for starters.  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 03:31:14 AM »
Just when you think an organization cannot become any more insane.
Some of those on the Left have long ago left the sanity reservation . . . seriously. Political disagreement is one thing, and vigorous debate can be a healthy thing . . . but this sort of extremist advocacy looks like a manifestation of mental illness.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 03:32:46 AM »
Just another screwball attempt by Peeta to keep their name in the news.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 03:49:55 AM »
I actually had a lawyer in court the other day talking about the constitutional rights of a cat.  She's a real flower child, and actually cried in court when I ruled against her.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 04:01:32 AM »
Heather Mills wanted us to use rat milk, cat milk, and dog milk. Remember that?

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/showbiz/article-23421756-details/Vegan+Heather+Mills'+latest+bizarre+outburst:+'Why+don't+we+drink+rats'+milk'/article.do

Heather Mills' latest bizarre rant: 'Why don't we drink milk from rats and dogs?'
Last updated at 08:53am on 20.11.07

Making a point: Heather Mills at the poster launch
During another typically bizarre day for Heather Mills, the former model yesterday urged people to try drinking milk from rats and dogs to help save the planet.

Media-shy Heather started off by storming out of a radio interview with London's LBC station.

She then drove a gas-guzzling Mercedes 4x4 to Speakers' Corner in Hyde Park to speak about ecological matters - and kept the engine running for part of the morning.

Once there she proceeded to launch into an extraordinary ecological rant and exhorted the assembled crowds to try drinking rat's milk instead of cow's milk in a bid to save the planet from deforestation for livestock.

She said that livestock created far more carbon emissions than transport, so we should go vegan - someone who eats no meat or dairy produce - or at least find something else to put in tea or coffee.

At Speakers Corner in Hyde Park she said: "There are many other kinds of milk available. Why don't we try drinking rats' milk and dogs' milk?"

Vegan Mills was supposed to be launching a poster campaign for an animal welfare charity.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 04:24:20 AM »
I actually had a lawyer in court the other day talking about the constitutional rights of a cat.  She's a real flower child, and actually cried in court when I ruled against her.
I remember brother # two's divorce day. I went to court with him. They contested custody of the dog.  rolleyes

Now that I think about it. Brother #5 just split up with his non wife significant other and they too are battling over the dog. No courts involved this time though.

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 04:31:24 AM »
Think of the new flavors that would be possible. "Mother's Milk" for starters.  grin

Tit for tat?
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 04:34:00 AM »
How about just using PETA members as an alternative fuel source?

ConAgra has a thermal depolymerization system that they feed all the turkey offal into and produce fuel oil. They'll fit.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 05:12:09 AM »
Just to be absolutely, positively clear in my understanding -- this is NOT from The Onion???
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 05:13:17 AM »
Just to be absolutely, positively clear in my understanding -- this is NOT from The Onion???

You would be correct.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 05:23:04 AM »
Any volunteers to work in the new dairy?

280plus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 05:36:35 AM »
I'm hearing some folks would prefer it from the original packaging.  angel

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 05:39:23 AM »
Could be fun trying to freeze the milk in the original container.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 06:07:27 AM »
So how are all the poor cows supposed to make a living Huh?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 06:23:50 AM »

Any judge that makes a moon-bat lawyer cry in open court deserves to be on the Supreme Court !!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 08:08:02 AM »
I'm hearing some folks would prefer it from the original packaging.

I've heard that as well.

Could be fun trying to freeze the milk in the original container.

Phillistine.  You don't freeze organic milk.  Wink

This made me think - what's the difference between a herbivore's milk, like from a cow, and a omnivore's milk, like from a human or bear?  Or a carnivore's?

For that matter, I understand there are differences depending on diet, and that goat milk is slightly different.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 08:20:41 AM »

Now I would pay to see that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 09:16:58 AM »
Storchen restaurant is set to unveil a menu that includes soups, stews, and sauces made with at least 75 percent breast milk procured from human donors who are paid in exchange for their milk. If Ben and Jerry's replaced the cow's milk in its ice cream with breast milk, your customers-and cows-would reap the benefits.

You know, being the scientific type, I just had to look up the differences between cow's and human milk.

Result:  It's good if they're on a low sodium diet, as human milk has 1/3 the sodium of cow milk.  To be fair, it's got about 1/3rd the minerals period.  Won't help women needing calcium - that's around 1/4 that of bovine.  On the other hand, better hope they aren't lactose intolerant, as human milk has double the lactose.

The protein mix is substantially different, having substantially fewer caseins and essentially no B-Lactoglobulin, but more Lactalbumin, Lactoferrin, and Secretory IgA.  No, I don't know what those are.

Now you Know!   laugh

Sheesh...  This is almost as bad as the topic in an old newsgroup that somehow divered to female urinals...

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 10:19:27 AM »
I thought the title was a typo and they were calling for "humane" milk. Dear God, how is this not a parody?

You are now my hero.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 10:33:52 AM »

Any judge that makes a moon-bat lawyer cry in open court deserves to be on the Supreme Court !!

cheesy Like shooting fish in a barrel.  Just say what you think, make it from a politically conservative point of view, and watch the tears fall.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 11:34:29 AM »
This made me think - what's the difference between a herbivore's milk, like from a cow, and a omnivore's milk, like from a human or bear?  Or a carnivore's?

For that matter, I understand there are differences depending on diet, and that goat milk is slightly different.

Well, because of varied diet, both between women and between different days/weeks/seasons, human milk is incredibly variable.  I donated my milk for ten months to babies in need (not for ice cream, just for straight consumption by kiddos with digestive problems) and so I handled lots of milk during that time.  It changes in color, smell, consistency. 

It also changes based on the age and needs of the kiddo the woman is nursing, needs that are communicated through the kiddo's saliva.  That obviously doesn't work when nursing isn't happening.   

Also, pumping for milk?  Humongous pain in the ass.

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 11:46:50 AM »

Also, pumping for milk?  Humongous pain in the ass.

Sure, when you do it manually.  But what about in a huge factory, where the machines do all the work for you?  Wouldn't that be great? 

Sure it would.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.