Author Topic: Somali pirates II...new ship, new UH-OH...  (Read 37952 times)

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
Re: Somali pirates II...new ship, new UH-OH...
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2008, 08:45:33 PM »
If Paddy is still looking for a job, we could ask him to go find out the exact details of the situation.  How much should we pay him? 

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2008, 09:12:41 PM »
Well, there's another possibility here to consider:

That is, maybe the South African newspaper came up with a good story to sell papers, and this started out of someone seeing a bunch of Somali pirates looking like a rabble of lepers.

The problem is that you're presuming the whole course of events as described to be fact, which isn't necessarily the case.

But yeah, it wouldn't be humorous if they called international authorities for help-then we might actually have some hard facts to go on.

Here's another possibility.

You jumped in to defend Iran. As usual.

If I hadn't mentioned it was an Iranian ship, I don't think you would have had a word to say.

Do you have any idea at all how desparately silly you seem when you do this? When you come up with absolutely ridiculous excuses and wild stories to "explain" damn near everything to do with extremists?

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2008, 09:28:03 PM »
Well, there's another possibility here to consider:

That is, maybe the South African newspaper came up with a good story to sell papers, and this started out of someone seeing a bunch of Somali pirates looking like a rabble of lepers.

The problem is that you're presuming the whole course of events as described to be fact, which isn't necessarily the case.

But yeah, it wouldn't be humorous if they called international authorities for help-then we might actually have some hard facts to go on.

Here's another possibility.

You jumped in to defend Iran. As usual.

If I hadn't mentioned it was an Iranian ship, I don't think you would have had a word to say.

Do you have any idea at all how desparately silly you seem when you do this? When you come up with absolutely ridiculous excuses and wild stories to "explain" damn near everything to do with extremists?

I don't think Iran needs any defending, nor do I think it deserves any defending-but as a matter of examining the likely truth here, if you take a look at a map of the ocean and sea lanes, you can see why this story is extremely unlikely to be about Iran shipping nuclear materials.

What I did was make a comment to deflate what looks a whole lot like WND style hype-Somali pirates looking like lepers, you say? "Oh no, it must be nuclear!"....please.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2008, 10:52:33 PM »
If Paddy is still looking for a job, we could ask him to go find out the exact details of the situation.

I suppose, if Paddy were still a member here.  He's not, btw.

As somebody long-versed in the nuclear business, SS, my first inclination was that our beloved Somali pirates were indeed suffering from radiation sickness.  That doesn't rule out other forms of contamination, but neither can it be summarily dismissed as a potential source of illness. 

The stuff doesn't have to be weapons-grade, either.  There were a bunch of very sick little Mexican children not too long ago who were playing with little silver pellets found in the back of a pickup truck.

It was the cobalt radiation source from surplus American medical equipment.  There were over 6,000 of those pellets from the opened source capsule, each pellet capable of emitting 25 RADS (!) per hour. The truck itself was emitting on average 50 Rads per hour at a distance of one meter.  The children never knew what hit them.

http://www.window.state.tx.us/border/ch09/cobalto.html

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Malnutrition
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2008, 03:09:14 AM »

Well, I'm sure this paper has an embedded reporter with the Somali pirates, who carefully recorded the details of their skin and hair conditions before the assault on the ship....and that of course, all the details, being fit for a Ludlow novel, were right on the money.

The story looks a bit romanticized, and the pirates are just the sort you would imagine to be in the health state of a bunch of lepers anyway.

I don't see what's so unrealistic about believing that a gang of somali pirates might have severe health problems other than radiological/chemical exposure

That didn't take long.  You'd defend satan himself.  You're missing your calling as a defense attorney for serial child rapists.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2008, 04:44:25 AM »
Hey folks, this is very important information here, especially in terms of our plans for the SS APS, our anti-pirate vessel.  Looks like we'll need some NBC protective gear on board.  And, to be safe, we're going to need aircraft to check these vessels before we board them.  Any pilots around here?  I'm thinking a helo as opposed to fixed wing...something we can land on deck without needing a full carrier.  I'm sure there are some surplus Cobras we could get a hold of, if we have pilots.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2008, 04:47:28 AM »
Hey folks, this is very important information here, especially in terms of our plans for the SS APS, our anti-pirate vessel.  Looks like we'll need some NBC protective gear on board.  And, to be safe, we're going to need aircraft to check these vessels before we board them.  Any pilots around here?  I'm thinking a helo as opposed to fixed wing...something we can land on deck without needing a full carrier.  I'm sure there are some surplus Cobras we could get a hold of, if we have pilots.

Hell yes we've got pilots.

There's gotta be a helo pilot around here, though. Most of us are fixed wing, as far as I know.

That said, I'm willing to sacrifice my time in order to become the APS helo pilot if there is no one else, provided Jamis's Sugar Momma or someone else pays for the training. Helo training costs make fixed wing training costs look like nothing...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2008, 04:51:24 AM »
...That said, I'm willing to sacrifice my time in order to become the APS helo pilot if there is no one else, provided Jamis's Sugar Momma or someone else pays for the training. Helo training costs make fixed wing training costs look like nothing...

That's because in fixed wing, if something goes wrong, you've got a glider and can usually trade altitude for time while you try to sort it out.  Rotor, something goes wrong, you've got a crater...  Altitude then becomes a liability, as the more altitude, the deeper the crater.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2008, 04:53:12 AM »
I've got a few minutes flight time in a JetRanger, but that's about it. Did okay, though, circled around an airport, and understand the cyclic and collective. Hadn't tried hovering, though.

I would expect you'd want a bit more than that. Wink

That's because in fixed wing, if something goes wrong, you've got a glider and can usually trade altitude for time while you try to sort it out.  Rotor, something goes wrong, you've got a crater...  Altitude then becomes a liability, as the more altitude, the deeper the crater.

Not necessarily, you can autorotate. You're still going down, but survivably. If you're over the ocean, you're going swimming, though. That's why Coast Guard sorts have those breathing air bottles in their vests, so they can get out safely.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2008, 04:55:17 AM »
why do i care if one group of islamic terrorists is terrorizing another group of islamic terrorists?

bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2008, 04:57:07 AM »
why do i care if one group of islamic terrorists is terrorizing another group of islamic terrorists?

It isn't that. It's that an Iranian state vessel might have radioactive material on board.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2008, 05:10:31 AM »
Maybe they hijacked a ship with some cargo that has alpha, beta, & gamma emissions.

Or maybe the whole thing is a lie, or is exaggerated by the media.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

don

• friend
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2008, 06:01:59 AM »
It has been mentioned that the pirates were /are armed with rocket propelled grenades. What is the maxium effective of rocket propelled grenades? Is it greater than the range of a .50 cal. machine gun?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2008, 06:06:35 AM »
It has been mentioned that the pirates were /are armed with rocket propelled grenades. What is the maxium effective of rocket propelled grenades? Is it greater than the range of a .50 cal. machine gun?

AFAIK, hard to hit anything beyond 300 yards, and the grenade self-detonates at about 1000. Their stuff is in lousy condition, too. They hit the cruise ship with a dud that just punched into a cabin and did not detonate.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2008, 06:21:30 AM »
I've got a few minutes flight time in a JetRanger, but that's about it. Did okay, though, circled around an airport, and understand the cyclic and collective. Hadn't tried hovering, though.

Not necessarily, you can autorotate. You're still going down, but survivably. If you're over the ocean, you're going swimming, though. That's why Coast Guard sorts have those breathing air bottles in their vests, so they can get out safely.
We'll get a helicopter, and you can learn as we go. How about that? grin

taurusowner

« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2008, 06:22:27 AM »
Well, I'm sure this paper has an embedded reporter with the Somali pirates, who carefully recorded the details of their skin and hair conditions before the assault on the ship....and that of course, all the details, being fit for a Ludlow novel, were right on the money.

Is it wrong to hope it's Geraldo?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2008, 06:28:27 AM »

We'll get a helicopter, and you can learn as we go. How about that? grin

Okay! Someone has a Bell 222 for sale up on eBay.

We could add internal, deployable hardpoints, paint it black, and get the theme music...

(If you don't know what I'm talking about, google for an image of a 222, and you'll get it.) Wink

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2008, 07:02:40 AM »
Maybe we could buy back the original from the air ambulance service in Germany?  It crashed in 1992 though so it might be in kinda rough shape.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2008, 07:04:32 AM »
Maybe we could buy back the original from the air ambulance service in Germany that owns it now...

It crashed over 15 years ago in a thunderstorm and killed three people.

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2008, 07:21:49 AM »
I happen to have a Seaplane rating on my certificate. Where do I send my application for employment as chief pirate pilot?

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2008, 08:31:21 AM »
No one seems to mention the health of the ship's crew. If there was a radiation leak they'd be getting it too.

As for myself, I really don't believe the story other than the pirates jacked another ship.

For all we know, the details could have been contrived by our "friends" in the Moose Odd to fuel speculation on what an Iranian flagged ship might be carrying. And it's not like we have competent enough intelligence assets to confirm it either way.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2008, 08:32:19 AM »
No one seems to mention the health of the ship's crew. If there was a radiation leak they'd be getting it too.

As for myself, I really don't believe the story other than the pirates jacked another ship.

For all we know, the details could have been contrived by our "friends" in the Moose Odd to fuel speculation on what an Iranian flagged ship might be carrying. And it's not like we have competent enough intelligence assets to confirm it either way.

Not if they knew well enough to stay away from the stuff in the hold.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2008, 08:36:55 AM »

For all we know the story was contrived by brain sucking space aliens hoping to instigate the second coming by making sure Palin becomes President and WWIII with Iran breaks out!  Oh noes, the consipracy!1!!111one1!!!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2008, 09:15:44 AM »
Just get a Supercub on floats we can hoist on board.

Put a guy in the door with a Garand, it'll be like shooting wolves on the tundra.

grin

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2008, 09:16:47 AM »
Apparently the pirates on the Ukrainian ship, now being circled by a US and Russian warship, have vowed to "fight to the death".

...Okay?