Author Topic: 33 Pastors Flout Tax Law With Political Sermons  (Read 12437 times)

buzz_knox

• friend
Re: 33 Pastors Flout Tax Law With Political Sermons
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 03:29:40 AM »
This is about tax status more than politics.

Maybe so, but the defense of selective prosecution will be right in the forefront.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 04:23:55 AM »
I don't care if it is legal or illegal, I think it is distasteful and 180 degrees away from the purpose of a Christian church.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 09:12:24 AM »

Maybe so, but the defense of selective prosecution will be right in the forefront.

And at that point it becomes a legal issue.

Still not politics.

When there's a move on in Congress to repeal/modify the law, that's when it will be politics fodder.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 09:22:09 AM »

And at that point it becomes a legal issue.

Still not politics.

When there's a move on in Congress to repeal/modify the law, that's when it will be politics fodder.

If they prosecute group X rather than group Y because it is politically expedient to do so, it's politics. 

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2008, 11:12:14 AM »
Mmm. Yet another bizaree consequence of having a graduated income tax in the first place.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2008, 11:58:40 AM »
Huh?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2008, 12:04:50 PM »
Huh?

The GIT was originally introduced not just as a measure to get money for government, but to be able to control various behaviors by having a system of tax breaks or extra taxes for them.

As the lobbyists got into it, a bizarre forest of exemptions of various kinds, loopholes, and rules was added, giving us the many-thousand-page tax codes of today.

PArt of it is tax exemptions for charities and churches (the government, of course, gets to decide what is a charity or a church).

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2008, 12:09:03 PM »
Income tax refers to a tax on individual incomes, not on churches, businesses, etc.  And I thought "graduated" referred to the different rates for different levels of income. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2008, 12:11:04 PM »
Income tax refers to a tax on individual incomes, not on churches, businesses, etc.  And I thought "graduated" referred to the different rates for different levels of income. 

Income tax refers to the entire system of taxation of income, IIRC

And that's true, the word 'graduated' infers a graduation by income, however, as I said, one of the reasons for its original introduction was not just to collect money, but also to induce 'social equality'. LAter other purposes were added as the system became more complex.

A VAT, excise tax, or import tariff doesn't lend itself to this much complexity.