Author Topic: Prosecutors on Obama 'Truth Squad' sound retreat  (Read 3200 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Prosecutors on Obama 'Truth Squad' sound retreat
« on: September 29, 2008, 07:09:24 PM »
It was all scare tactics.

Prosecutors on Obama 'Truth Squad' sound retreat
No one involved 'has any intention of prosecuting anybody'

By Drew Zahn
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=76560

Missouri law officials, including public prosecutors, who were reportedly planning to "respond immediately" to any misleading advertisements against Barack Obama if they "might violate Missouri ethics laws," have now backed off the intimidating implications of that report, promising that they have no intention of prosecuting anyone.

As WND reported, prosecuting attorneys Bob McCulloch and Jennifer Joyce originally announced on KMOV-TV in St. Louis their participation in Obama's "Truth Squad," pledging to defend the candidate from untruthful ads with an undefined "immediate" response.

"Whether it is directly attributable to the (McCain) campaign or to one of the soft money operations," McCulloch told the station, "if they're not going to tell the truth, somebody's got to step up and say, 'That's not the truth. This is the truth.'"

The move prompted Missouri's governor to object that the prosecutors were using "police state tactics" to squelch information hurtful to the Obama campaign.

"What Senator Obama and his helpers are doing is scandalous beyond words," wrote Gov. Matt Blunt in a statement. "The party that claims to be the party of Thomas Jefferson is abusing the justice system and offices of public trust to silence political criticism with threats of prosecution and criminal punishment."

A spokesperson for St. Louis City Circuit Attorney Jennifer Joyce, however, told WND that the televised "Truth Squad" announcement was misunderstood.

"The only action they would take would be to provide truthful information to the public so they can make up their minds," said spokesperson Susan Ryan. "Neither (Joyce) nor anybody involved in this has any intention of prosecuting anybody."

When asked if the initial announcement suggested legal ramifications for "crossing ethics laws in Missouri," Ryan confirmed, "Unfortunately it did suggest that, but the 'Truth Squad' has no intention of prosecuting anyone for this."

Further, Ryan insisted, attorneys McCulloch and Joyce are participating in the "Truth Squad" as part of their private citizenship, on their own time, and in no way in their capacity as prosecutors.

"That's not how they announced it," objected Gov. Blount in an interview on Fox TV's "America's Newsroom" talk show. "They rolled it out as prosecutors willing to take actions as prosecutors."

Blount conceded that government officials could serve on "Truth Squads" in their private time, but defended his sharp criticism of the way the announcement was made.

"What I found troubling," said Blount, "is that a campaign enlisted prosecutors, and those prosecutors specifically talked about targeting their opponents; they talked about responding to 'alleged violations of the law.' Generally when a prosecutor talks about responding to an alleged violation of the law, that means you're going to prosecute."

When Blount was asked if he would take action against the attorneys, he said, "They have really stepped back from how they announced this. When they announced this I think it was intimidating. & In a lot of ways they have reversed course, and I'm glad to see that."

While some of Missouri's reported "Truth Squad" have backed down, one of those named in the KMOV-TV report claims he was never on course to begin with.

Jefferson County Sheriff Oliver "Glenn" Boyer, who was also named Gov. Blunt's statement, told WND that not only had he never agreed to join the "Truth Squad," but also that it "infuriated" him that anyone would think he'd use his office to squash others' freedom of speech.

"I'm a small, Democratic sheriff in rural Missouri," Boyer told WND. "I haven't even seen the original interview with Jennifer Joyce and Bob McCulloch. & All I know is, I came into my office on Monday morning unaware of any of this. I had a fundraiser Saturday, when all this started, of my own. I came into my office Monday morning, and I've got 500 emails and 19 nasty phone calls calling me a communist pig! I think, 'Man, I thought it was a pretty good fundraiser.'"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Prosecutors on Obama 'Truth Squad' sound retreat
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 07:54:21 PM »
Thomas Jefferson was a good one for employing the scandal sheets of the time against his political opponents.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 11:49:07 PM »

No. The parasites were testing the water. They know if they try enough times, two things will happen: 1.) our outrage will subside, and 2.) they'll eventually get away with it.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 04:19:20 AM »
Sometimes I think they are not testing the waters so much as they are off in their own little world of liberal Obama lovers and get the mistaken impression that everyone else will agree with them because "everyone" is for Obama.  They only showed their own stupidity IMO.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 05:59:31 AM »

No. The parasites were testing the water. They know if they try enough times, two things will happen: 1.) our outrage will subside, and 2.) they'll eventually get away with it.

That's likely 100% correct.  With many human predators, you find that the victims have been conditioned to accept abuse.  You can find the exact same thing in politics.

ArmedBear

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 06:34:16 AM »
"retreat" is not a great option.

Suicide in shame is what I would encourage. They need to learn a few things from the Japanese.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 08:35:59 AM »
Reason #254 we should bring back duels.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 09:38:01 AM »
Their original idea sounds like a plan taken from the Nazi or Communist play book.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 06:58:53 PM »
Reason #254 we should bring back duels ritual Hara Kiri.

Fixed it for ya ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 07:10:14 PM »

Fixed it for ya ...

I don't know..... McCain vs Obama at 20 paces with pistols and Palin and Biden at 200 with (Moose) Hunting Rifles sounds like a great PPV event to me......
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 06:06:13 AM »

Fixed it for ya ...

I don't know..... McCain vs Obama at 20 paces with pistols and Palin and Biden at 200 with (Moose) Hunting Rifles sounds like a great PPV event to me......

Never heard of the Helmgang had you?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 06:09:16 AM »

Fixed it for ya ...

No, Obama would immediately have a second. That's below him.