Author Topic: It could have been worse...  (Read 10333 times)

Antibubba

• friend
It could have been worse...
« on: October 02, 2008, 05:56:18 PM »
It would be hard for anyone to go up against Joe Biden in a debate--dislike him I do, but he knows his subjects.  But why, WHY, does she have to say NUKULARHuh?   sad
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

The Annoyed Man

Re: It could have been worse...
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 05:57:38 PM »
There was a debate?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 06:03:05 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

don

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 06:14:07 PM »
It would be hard for anyone to go up against Joe Biden in a debate--dislike him I do, but he knows his subjects.  But why, WHY, does she have to say NUKULARHuh?   sad
Well, isn't that the way Bush says it? It is interesting how she and McCain are trying so hard to distance themselves from Bush and other republicans. Are they ashamed to be republicans? Biden tried his best to connect them to Bush and she tried her best to separate her and McCain from Bush. She got the prize for metaphors and attempts to score zingers, but they were not very original. She even quoted Reagan a few times. In short she was outclassed in this debate. As far as scoring points with Joe Sixpack, she wasn't too bad. As to who won- that probably depends on what party you support.

ronnyreagan

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 06:15:28 PM »
Palin stuck to her talking points and tried to avoid the questions - but if anything that points to her being trained in debating for the past week. While I'm still not impressed with her, she did better than I expected (Not that I expected much sad.)
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
DOOOMED!
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 06:23:07 PM »
/\  WE'RE DOOOMDED!!  /\

Ronny, man, you've been all kinds of "harbinger of doom."

I keep expecting you to say "we're all gonna DIE!"

Are you just trying to avoid disappointment by keeping expectations low?

Or are you trying to keep the rest of us depressed?

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

ronnyreagan

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 06:25:17 PM »
sorry, don't mean to be downer. I'm a happy person in my own life - but when it comes to politics I don't smile very much. I'm thinking I should take some time off, forget about elections and get out in the woods more.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

don

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 06:29:56 PM »
Palin stuck to her talking points and tried to avoid the questions - but if anything that points to her being trained in debating for the past week. While I'm still not impressed with her, she did better than I expected (Not that I expected much sad.) 
My feelings exactly.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 06:30:19 PM »
I thought Palin did extremely well tonight. Not only did she debate well, but she out-charmed Biden. She even got in a couple of good digs that will (or should) get media coverage.

The biggest rap on her has been that she lacks foreign policy experience. So it was to her favor when she asked the moderator if she could return to the subject of Afghanistan again for a moment.

She also used humor and charm to finally counter Biden's constant attempts to link McCain and Bush.

Much better than expected, and probably as good as any vice presidential debates I've seen in recent years.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 06:36:43 PM »
/\  WE'RE DOOOMDED!!  /\

"That's great. That's just f****** great, man! Now what the f*** are we supposed to do? We're in some real pretty s*** now man! Game's over man, game's f****** over! What the f*** are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do? "

grin

Hmmm... there IS a slight resemblance there.  Anyone got a 10mm pulse rifle?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

don

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 06:43:29 PM »
/\  WE'RE DOOOMDED!!  /\

"That's great. That's just f****** great, man! Now what the f*** are we supposed to do? We're in some real pretty s*** now man! Game's over man, game's f****** over! What the f*** are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do? "

grin

Hmmm... there IS a slight resemblance there.  Anyone got a 10mm pulse rifle?
Chill out man, she didn't do that bad or was that an attempt at humor?  Remember we vote for the president, not vice president.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
No Lipstick
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 06:45:58 PM »
AZ, dude!

Resemblance?  What resemblance??

Can't you see creature in the top photo isn't wearing lipstick??

grin

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 06:47:11 PM »
Dude, that's Pelosi, not Palin.

I was commenting on the overdramatization by Ronnie that "teh libz is gunna rulez furever OH TEH NOES!" and adding a little comedic relief.

See?  ugly spooky aliens = comedy.

Sheesh, I thought it was intuitive. rolleyes

grin
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
Wrong Lipstick
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 06:50:03 PM »
Dude, that's Pelosi, not Palin.

Gag.

Sorry.  I wasn't paying attention.

Still, with a little lipstick . . .

ronnyreagan

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 06:52:13 PM »
overdramatization by Ronnie that "teh libz is gunna rulez furever OH TEH NOES!"

Hey now, in the "What is our worst case scenario in this election?" topic I'm arguing the exact opposite of this - things won't be that bad.
Don't peg me for too much of a pessimist. angel

wquay

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 07:06:28 PM »
I was very impressed with Palin. I'm still not supporting McCain/Palin, but she looked A HECK of a lot better than she did for the Couric interviews.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 07:40:21 PM »
I thought Palin did extremely well tonight.

No way.  If you transcribed her answers they'd look like a post from cassandra and sara's daddy.

Munging 8 sentences together with conjunctions makes it very hard to follow.  She sounded like a kid hopped on Red Bull for the first hour of the debate.  I couldn't stand to watch any more if it after that.

Half the time she threw out Obama's voting record Biden was able to retort that McCain voted the same way.  That's one way to drive home the "Maverick" point:  Remind folks that the Republican candidate votes like a Democrat half the time.

This election is a joke.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 07:53:55 PM »
The Guardian grits its teeth and comes as close as it possibly can to suggesting that she actually might have won

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/oct/03/uselections2008.sarahpalin
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

don

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 07:55:53 PM »

No way.  If you transcribed her answers they'd look like a post from cassandra and sara's daddy.

Munging 8 sentences together with conjunctions makes it very hard to follow.  She sounded like a kid hopped on Red Bull for the first hour of the debate.  I couldn't stand to watch any more if it after that.

Half the time she threw out Obama's voting record Biden was able to retort that McCain voted the same way.  That's one way to drive home the "Maverick" point:  Remind folks that the Republican candidate votes like a Democrat half the time.

This election is a joke.
Even worse that McCain voted with Bush 90% of the time.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2008, 08:56:14 PM »

Except that Biden was lying. So far one columnist found 14 flat out lies in Biden's attacks on McCain.

Palin didn't just exceed expectations. She did well connecting with groups that McCain needs, such as white blue collar mothers.

Are you right, or am I right? The answer will be in the polls over the next couple of days.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2008, 09:11:32 PM »

Oh, burn!
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2008, 09:47:10 PM »
Settle down. The masses have spoken.

{{{{DRUDGE POLL}}}} WHO WON THE VICE PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE?...

BIDEN
30%    67,555
PALIN
69%    157,119
NEITHER
2%    3,864

Total Votes: 228,538
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2008, 09:58:01 PM »
I'll give Biden credit for learning how to become a professional liar over 35 years in the Senate.

He started out by trying to blame the sub-prime mess on Bush and the Republicans, which is absurd, and he went downhill from there.  If we had term limits this guy would be running a failing Ford dealership in Wilmington.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008, 12:16:01 AM »
The right wing outlets say Palin won.  The left wing outlets say she lost.  The MSM says she did better than expected, but still lost.  No surprises here, and it means absolutely nothing.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2008, 01:51:18 AM »
Well said, Rocketman. Much ado about something that--at best--is a feel-good (or feel-bad) exercise signifying nothing. She is pleasant to watch, however.

TC
TC
RT Refugee