Author Topic: The Sportsman's Choice: Field & Stream Interviews the Presidential Candidates  (Read 12102 times)

slingshot

• friend
Thought I would post this as many here may not read Field & Stream magazine.

Link:  http://www.fieldandstream.com/article/Hunting/The-Sportsmans-Choice-Field--Stream-Interviews-the-Presidential-Candidates

The one question that I focused on was about "common sense" gun legislation.
LICATA: You mentioned common-sense gun legislation. Would you consider  the assault weapons ban and registration of guns to fall into that category of common-sense gun control?

SENATOR OBAMA: I think those are two separate issues. I think that when  it comes to the assault weapons ban, the answer is yes. I think AK-47s  generally are not used for hunting. AK-47s or vest-piercing bullets are  generally used to hurt people. And I think that it's legitimate for us to say military-style weapons that aren't traditionally used for  purposes other than killing people, we've got to be careful about.  But I'll be honest with you. I'm more interested in enforcing the laws  that we do have-for example, tracing guns that are used in crimes back  to people who have been using them. I don't anticipate that there's  going to be a whole slew of efforts at the federal level when it comes to gun control. But I think that strong background checks; making sure  that we're dealing with the gun-show loophole, which I think has been a  problem; allowing us to trace guns that are used in crimes back to where  they were purchased--those are the kinds of initiatives that I think pose no threat whatsoever to law-abiding gun owners.

So, Obama supports an outright BAN on EBR's.  He wants to close the gunshow loophole (whatever that is), and he claims to only support legislation that pose no threat to law-abiding gun owners. The gun issue is significant as he mentions vest piercing bullets and so forth and that can mean just about any centerfire caliber.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Manedwolf

• friend
And I think that it's legitimate for us to say military-style weapons that aren't traditionally used for  purposes other than killing people, we've got to be careful about.

My AKs that put holes in paper and knock tennis balls around would not agree. Tongue

allowing us to trace guns that are used in crimes back to where  they were purchased

REGISTRATION
Like I said, I'm buying lots of mags now, and will probably pick up another FAL, because if he wins, AWB indefinitely.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
or vest-piercing bullets

I find this statement disturbing and insidious. He didn't say "armor piercing". This is way too similar to anthropogenic global warming advocates, who when they can't win on "global warming", begin to use the term "climate change" and usurp it's meaning.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Manedwolf

• friend
or vest-piercing bullets

I find this statement disturbing and insidious. He didn't say "armor piercing". This is way too similar to anthropogenic global warming advocates, who when they can't win on "global warming", begin to use the term "climate change" and usurp it's meaning.

It also goes right back to Kennedy's line about the 30-30.

It assumes that anyone who has any rifle round is suspected of wanting to use it against a bullet resistant vest. All gun owners are potential and likely criminals, etc. (Unless they're politically connected or members of the police tribe.)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Oh come now. Everyone knows that those are just misleading NRA propaganda statements that F&S pulled from NRA's website.

"which I think has been a  problem"

No, the problem is he's thinking, but isn't knowing.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

slingshot

• friend
Registration, that is the way I read it too. He tries to paint himself as a middle of the road Democrat for the presidential election, but he is a gun grabber to the core.  He tries to pacify hunters by saying he will not support legislation that poses a threat to their sport and heritage.  Unfortunately, a lot of hunters in Ohio and Pennsylvania will support him.

It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

slingshot

• friend
He said he doesn't think the gun control legislation will be a major focus of his administration.  We know he supports such things and if the legislation is passed by the Democratic controlled Congress, he will sign it.  Schumer and McCarthy are probably dancing in the streets.  They don't need drugs when you have Obama.

I will say one thing.  At least Obama has the courage to state at least a part of what he believes when it comes to gun control.  I'm sure he views EBR owners to be a small subset of the gun owning population.  Divide and conquer.  We all know it's for the children.

Throw in the UN's efforts for worldwide small arms control which Obama supports to my knowledge and the desire to snuggle up to the Europeans.... we have a problem.  One world government stuff.  This election is really important!

Lennyjoe

• friend
I keep hearing a commercial being played on the local radio station on how Obama will protect gunowners rights and McCain will take them away. I yell bullshit every time I hear it. My co-workers agree with me.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Well the second half IS true...Smiley
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
I keep hearing a commercial being played on the local radio station on how Obama will protect gunowners rights and McCain will take them away. I yell bullshit every time I hear it. My co-workers agree with me.

Wouldn't happen to be the trojan horse orginization known as the American Hunters and Shooters Association running those ads, would it?

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

longeyes

• friend
I don't hunt.  If I do it would only be for survival purposes.

I haven't noticed any bears or moose or wolves knocking off 7-11s recently or trying to take over the government and tyrannize over us.

If Obama wants to deal with gun CRIME, he knows exactly where to look for the majority of perps.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

slingshot

• friend
The interview was with Field & Stream magazine.  I wouldn't have expected any questions about gun crime.  That gets adequately covered elsewhere.  Obama did say he wanted to enforce the laws that are on the books and that includes higher sentances (in most cases) for crimes where guns are used.

IF the Nature Conservancy published an interview in their magazine, I doubt their questions would focus on gun crime.  Rather they would focus on the issues for which the magazine or organization is dedicated to.

I think the interview is important for many hunters or fisherman, it might be the only interview they read prior to the election.  I doubt my father will read any other interview that might apply to conservation or gun rights.

The last question is interesting.  They posed the same question to each candidate and McCain mentioned that sportsman may have a problem with his past stand on the gun show loophole.

That is a whole different thread topic, but I think eventually all firearm transactions will have to be funneled through a FFL dealer and a background check done with the only exception being direct or immediate family members.  I don't agree with that, but I expect that to happen in future legislation.  I believe it is already the law in Pennsylvania and Maryland.  I could be over generalizing on that as it may be only handguns? Not sure.

Manedwolf

• friend
The interview was with Field & Stream magazine.  I wouldn't have expected any questions about gun crime.  That gets adequately covered elsewhere.  Obama did say he wanted to enforce the laws that are on the books and that includes higher sentances (in most cases) for crimes where guns are used.

BULLSH__.

I've seen how that works in Mass. The "disadvantaged youth" that do drive-bys get the revolving door, the law-abiding citizens that forget to renew their FOID get tossed into the justice system meatgrinder.

slingshot

• friend
Yes, our criminal justice system needs a big overhaul. 

At first I thought your "bull..." was about Field & Stream and the magazine's issues.  But I think I figured out by your comments that it was about using guns in the commission of a crime.  I don't particularly like Obama and I certainly don't agree with much he stands for that is significant.  Even on energy issues, I don't agree with him.  He takes too green a slant on dealing with energy issues.  I wonder how he would feel if he visited China's industrial areas and the pollution.

Manedwolf

• friend
About the "justice", yes. Every time I look at news from Boston, it's "...arrested for firing at a gang member's house, previously arrested last month for a firearms violation and armed assault"...WHY ARE THEY OUT? Meanwhile, if a non-disadvantaged sort screws up with how a gun is stored in a case in their vehicle, they go to jail for a year.

From how Chicago is, I expect it's the same there. The same gang members shoot at each other and rob people, get out, shoot at each other again and rob some more people, get out, etc, etc, etc...

longeyes

• friend
The elephant is breaking into the living room and he's got gang tatts and he's packin' a stolen piece.  Wait, let's ignore that because, well, he's an...elephant.

When law-abiding citizens primarily interested in defending themselves, their loved ones, and their property become the first "suspects" of gun control, the elephants have taken over the government.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
I have news for the "sportsmen" who think that hunting is what the Second Amendment is all about.  The Second Amendment is not about recreation, about getting out of the house, about fun and games in the woods.  It is about self-defense and resistance to governmental tyranny.

And the deeper social reality is this:

WE. ARE. BEING. HUNTED.

By a vicious criminal element.

Wake up.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
I have news for the "sportsmen" who think that hunting is what the Second Amendment is all about.  The Second Amendment is not about recreation, about getting out of the house, about fun and games in the woods.  It is about self-defense and resistance to governmental tyranny.

And the deeper social reality is this:

WE. ARE. BEING. HUNTED.

By a vicious criminal element.

Wake up.
I'd say we're being hunted by politicians more than by criminals.

longeyes

• friend
I won't disagree that government is the second predator.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
"Tracing guns back" is code for undoing the ban on giving out 4473 info not related to a particular criminal case.

He would let Bloomberg access all gun dealer records to back his investigations of law-abiding gun dealers.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Manedwolf

• friend
"Tracing guns back" is code for undoing the ban on giving out 4473 info not related to a particular criminal case.

He would let Bloomberg access all gun dealer records to back his investigations of law-abiding gun dealers.

I wonder how many gun dealers would mysteriously have tragic fires confined to the area of a filing cabinet...

Waitone

• friend
I'm more interested in enforcing the laws  that we do have-for example, tracing guns that are used in crimes back  to people who have been using them.
What Carebear said and registration and ballistic fingerprinting.  The three initiative taken together constitute a chain of custody.  All common sense mind you.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis

I wonder how many gun dealers would mysteriously have tragic fires confined to the area of a filing cabinet...

Very few.  Most would want to stay in business and out of jail.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Manedwolf

• friend

Very few.  Most would want to stay in business and out of jail.

At that point, they'd likely not be staying in business much longer anyway. That letter wasn't properly formed on the last paperwork they'd filed. That means a raid!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
And I think that it's legitimate for us to say military-style weapons that aren't traditionally used for purposes other than killing people, we've got to be careful about.

Y'know, that just stinks on ice.

I've got venison in the freezer that was taken last fall by my SAR-1 sidefolder, and it was perfectly legal here in Wisconsin to do so.

That same SAR-1 is my bedside rifle. 

I'd say that's plenty legitimate, Barak.   :mad:
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"