Author Topic: October Surprise for Obama and Blagojevich  (Read 4345 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
October Surprise for Obama and Blagojevich
« on: October 06, 2008, 12:21:18 AM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-rezko-flip28sep28,0,5691387.story

Possible change of heart
Rezko talked with prosecutors, may aid probe, sources say

By David Kidwell, John Chase and Jeff Coen | Chicago Tribune reporters
5:24 PM CDT, September 27, 2008

Antoin "Tony" Rezko, a convicted influence peddler who was once one of Gov. Rod Blagojevich's most trusted confidants, has met with federal prosecutors and is considering cooperating in the corruption probe of the governor's administration, sources told the Tribune.
Rezko's possible change of heart—after years of steadfast refusal—has sent ripples through a tight circle of prominent defense attorneys who represent dozens of potential witnesses and targets in the wide-ranging probe.
His cooperation would give prosecutors investigating the governor and his wife access to someone they have described as an ultimate political insider at the center of a pervasive pay-to-play scheme.
Rezko's trial this year laid bare a culture of scams, bribes and backroom deals stretching from City Hall to the Statehouse. It even became fodder in the presidential campaign of Democratic nominee Barack Obama, whose fundraising and personal ties to Rezko go back more than a decade.
Rezko has made no deal in the wake of his June corruption conviction, sources familiar with the situation said, but has had preliminary talks with prosecutors before an October sentencing that could put him in prison for years. Still, there are indications Rezko has already provided investigators with information.
Four attorneys have told the Tribune in recent days that federal prosecutors have telephoned them and other attorneys either with news Rezko is talking, or armed with details only Rezko could know. The lawyers speculated prosecutors are using the preliminary talks with Rezko to shake loose more cooperation from other witnesses.

"I had very recent a conversation with an assistant U.S. attorney that led me to believe they were getting specific information from either Mr. Rezko or Mr. Rezko's lawyer," said a defense attorney who said he represents a figure in the case. None of the attorneys interviewed would agree to be quoted by name, saying they didn't want to hurt their clients.
The U.S. attorney's office in Chicago declined to comment, as did Rezko's attorney William Ziegelmueller.
Rezko's potential worth to federal authorities extends to every aspect of their investigation, including probes of state hiring and real estate deals involving the governor's wife. Prosecutors have portrayed Rezko, a former restaurant magnate and real estate developer, as intricately involved in some of the most guarded decisions since the earliest days of the administration.
During his trial, prosecutors described Rezko as having a direct line to the governor and his top aides on issues including policy and the appointments of key department heads and members of state regulatory boards. And, they charged, Rezko traded those positions and favors for some of the millions in campaign contributions he raised for the governor, and for the allegiance of those he lifted to influential posts.
One key aspect of the federal investigation centers on the real estate dealings of the governor's wife, Patricia, who was paid hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years as a broker for Rezko, his associates and others with business before the state. Federal investigators have subpoenaed records and conducted interviews regarding her real estate dealings. The governor and his wife have denied wrongdoing.

During the trial, three convicted political insiders testified about private meetings with the governor that prosecutors cited as evidence of a scheme to buy state jobs and business with campaign donations. Each testified that Blagojevich implied campaign donors would profit from his influence.
One of those witnesses, former Illinois Finance Authority Executive Director Ali Ata, testified that he attended a meeting at Rezko's offices with Rezko and the governor before he was hired. At the meeting, Ata said, he brought a $25,000 check that was placed on the table in front of Blagojevich, who then mentioned a state job.
Rezko has adamantly denied guilt and vowed never to cooperate with federal investigators.
Two months before his conviction on fraud charges, Rezko typed a letter to his trial judge accusing "overzealous" prosecutors of pressuring him to talk about wrongdoing involving Obama or Blagojevich. Rezko said there was none to talk about.
"They are pressuring me to tell them the 'wrong' things that I supposedly know about Governor Blagojevich and Senator Obama," Rezko wrote U.S. District Judge Amy St. Eve in an April bid to be released on bail during his trial.
"I have never been party to any wrongdoing that involved the governor or the senator," Rezko continued. "I will never fabricate lies about anyone else for selfish purposes. I will take what comes my way, but I will never hurt innocent people."
Rezko was a political supporter of Obama going back to when he was running for state Senate. Obama's ties to Rezko have become a political albatross for the presidential nominee, who has been forced to defend the convicted felon's fundraising activities for him and revelations Obama bought his South Side mansion on the same day in 2005 that Rezko purchased a vacant lot next door.
Officials for Obama's campaign have said prosecutors during Rezko's trial never made any suggestions that Obama was involved in anything improper.
Still, Republican presidential nominee John McCain has highlighted the ties between Obama and Rezko in a national television commercial.

Looks like Sen. HopeChange and Gov. Rod "The UnReformer" might get a nasty surprise soon.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: October Surprise for Obama and Blagojevich
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 12:28:16 AM »
I'm sure this will be a huge story.  Aren't you?   :rolleyes:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 12:31:43 AM »
If Rezko doesn't have protection, he's gonna get whacked.

If he's out of prison, he'd "pull a gun on the CPD, so they had to shoot him." If he's in prison, he's going to get shanked.

You just don't cross Emperor Daley.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 12:33:23 AM by Manedwolf »

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 11:23:45 AM »
Nothing will come of this.  The feds will be happy to accept information on criminals who aren't in the public spotlight, but will ignore anything connected to Obama or Blagojevich.  They can see which way the election is going and have no desire to get involved.  Even if they had videotape of those characters engaged in illegal transactions, they wouldn't be able to do anything with them in the face of allegations of bias, partisanship and tampering with the election. 

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 12:17:53 PM »
Sure, it will be a big story--like Obama's campaign funding irregularities and the possibility that he isn't even eligible to run.

The Feds don't care.  The judges don't care.  The press doesn't care.  Half of America doesn't care.

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 12:58:07 PM »
Rezko is due to get sentenced on 28 Oct.  The results of that day will be telling.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 01:01:10 PM »
Rezko is due to get sentenced on 28 Oct.  The results of that day will be telling.

1. Put in general pop
2. Tragic accident in the yard. Where'd that shiv come from?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 05:22:04 PM »
Hid Divine O-ness is a Devilcrat from Chicago.  Of course he's corrupt.

And "community organizer" pays really really well.   ;/
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 10:36:23 PM »
Don't get your hopes up.  Nothing will come of this.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

txgho1911

• friends
  • sedition hammer
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 10:39:46 PM »
We can hope the proles will wake up.
socialnewswatchDOTcom instead of Drudge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 11:58:15 PM »
Oh, forget the whole thing.  I'm voting for me.  I suggest you all do the same. 

ABC News cast
3 Sept. 2010

And in other news, President Tactical Pants has announced a new, cabinet-level position, replacing the Civilian Marksmanship Program with a new Department of the Militia.  With HUD, DoE, and other departments demolished in recent months, he will certainly have room for a new cabinet Secretary... 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 12:02:02 AM by Mr. Tactical-pants »

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 10:28:50 AM »
Oh, forget the whole thing.  I'm voting for me.  I suggest you all do the same. 

ABC News cast
3 Sept. 2010

And in other news, President Tactical Pants has announced a new, cabinet-level position, replacing the Civilian Marksmanship Program with a new Department of the Militia.  With HUD, DoE, and other departments demolished in recent months, he will certainly have room for a new cabinet Secretary... 

Quid pro quo-

I'm only voting for you if I get to be secretary of the militia.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 01:34:31 PM »
I'm accepting resumes. 

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 04:39:34 PM »
I'm accepting resumes. 

Sweet! All my years of leading that tactical assault team at the local mall will finally pay off!

No more duct-taped trauma plates for me!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Soybomb

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 06:01:02 PM »
It takes a while but I think we'll eventually send another illinois governor to jail. 

txgho1911

• friends
  • sedition hammer
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 06:26:37 PM »
Makattack! You can't do this. You will never feel at home or comfortable there.
You will have to leave the wheelbarrow back where you come from. OH the horror!
socialnewswatchDOTcom instead of Drudge

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 12:17:12 PM »
Why do I get the feeling that Rezko is just using this as a stalling tactic and after the election Rezko "Can't remember nuthin'."   :mad:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/chi-kass-08-oct08,0,1636195.column

Telltale letter a staple in Blagojevich arsenal
John Kass
October 8, 2008

As Barack Obama and John McCain prepared for their debate on Tuesday, Illinois Gov. Rod "The Unreformer" Blagojevich broke out with a severe case of creeping feditis.

He mentioned Sen. Obama and convicted political influence peddler Tony Rezko at least four times. Maybe five. Or was it six?

I stopped counting, but I'm sure Obama didn't like hearing the name of his own real estate fairy on the lips of a governor with a profound federal infection.

Obama and Blagojevich are Chicago politicians, well versed in the Chicago Way and the Democratic political machine. Each has been nurtured, fed and counseled by Rezko.

So at an impromptu, outdoor news conference on the South Side, Blagojevich was asked: Have you talked to your friend Tony Rezko?

"I have not," said the governor, unbendable, quite stiff in his indignation.

Why not? You're his friend, right?

"Well, I don't think he's in a place where he can take a phone call," said Blagojevich, in the understatement of the decade.

Rezko sits lonely in the federal lockup, and though the governor is welcome to call, it might be recorded for training purposes. Rezko is news because he's about to get on the federal witness bus, find a comfy seat and talk of corrupt Illinois politics, something the national news media doesn't care much about. He was convicted of fraud in his corruption trial last year, which offered a tour of the bipartisan Illinois Combine, that clique of jolly Democrats and Republicans who leverage government to make themselves rich.

Blagojevich has not been charged with any crime, nor has his wife, Patti, a real estate broker with Rezko deals. They may never be charged. But no politician in the state—not even the governor's friendly shadow, state Sen. James DeLeo (D-How You Dooin?)—would take that bet. Rezko was scheduled for sentencing Oct. 28. On Monday, the U.S. attorney's office asked the judge to delay Rezko's trip to prison.

"The parties agree that the [sentencing date], as well as dates related to sentencing filings should be stricken while the parties engage in discussions that could affect their sentencing postures," stated the motion by federal prosecutors.

Sentencing postures? Hmmm. The posture I'm thinking about can't be mentioned in this newspaper.

"It is what it is, it speaks for itself," said Blagojevich on Tuesday, ready to launch the first of many Unsolicited Obama References.

"Tony Rezko is a friend of mine, my heart goes out to him and his family, and he like everybody else should tell the truth. And I would point out that he sent a letter, Tony Rezko sent a letter to a federal judge where he expressly said that neither Sen. Obama nor I did anything wrong," Blagojevich said.

A TV reporter asked if he felt the walls closing in on him, like some character in an Edgar Allan Poe story. I wanted to mention the story about Rezko's heart beating loudly under the floorboards, divided but thumping wildly under Obama's house and Blagojevich's house. But I kept my mouth shut.

"No, again, let me reiterate," Blagojevich said, about to launch Unsolicited Obama Reference No. 2. ". . . I'm not going to, you know, run away from a friend. I'm not going to pretend that, you know, he wasn't a friend."

I thought he'd say, "This isn't the Tony Rezko I knew," the way Obama dismisses friends when they start itching him, but the governor didn't.

"He should do as everybody ought to do and be truthful and as I said, he wrote a letter to a federal judge and he was expressly clear that when it came to Sen. Obama and me, neither one of us did anything wrong and so we just have to let the process unfold."

Then came Unsolicited Obama References 4 and 5, and he kept invoking the letter in which Rezko said that he and Sen. Obama weren't guilty of anything.

Blagojevich looked at me, unblinking, his hair stiff in the wind, forceful as he professed innocence. I thought of all the other guys who looked that way, so earnest, jauntily indignant, tough guys in the movies, until their friends jumped on the federal bus. Months later, you see them blubbering on the witness stand, as bendable as green modeling clay, as pliable as a child's action figure, before achieving what the feds now call the "sentencing posture."

Just then, a woman next to me asked the governor if he'd resign if indicted.

"I'm not going to answer dumb questions like that," he snapped.

I asked why he didn't answer her question, and he launched into Unsolicited Obama Reference No. Whatever.

That's not what I asked you, I said. I asked, if you are indicted, will you step down?

"Tony sent a letter to a federal judge where he expressly stated that neither Sen. Obama nor I did anything wrong," said the governor. "I'm not going to answer stupid questions like that."

He walked away with his head high, and I thought of how he once compared himself to John Wayne. But then I thought about Gumby.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 03:55:21 PM by scout26 »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 04:24:05 PM »
It takes a while but I think we'll eventually send another illinois governor to jail. 

So what? Blago is Daley's puppet. He'll just get a new one.