Author Topic: NRA is getting into the fight.  (Read 2411 times)

Lennyjoe

• friend
NRA is getting into the fight.
« on: October 09, 2008, 09:48:29 AM »
http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/09/nra-hillary-right-trust-obama-guns/

NRA: Hillary Was Right, You Can't Trust Obama With Your Guns
The National Rifle Association plans a new print advertisement criticizing Barack Obama's positions on gun issues using former rival Hillary Clinton's words

WASHINGTON -- The National Rifle Association is turning to Hillary Rodham Clinton to bolster its criticism of Barack Obama's positions on gun issues.

The NRA's Political Victory Fund planned a national newspaper ad Thursday reviving a Clinton mailing that accused Obama of waffling on gun issues. Clinton's campaign sent the mailing when the New York senator was challenging Obama for the Democratic presidential nomination. It accuses Obama of changing his statements on gun issues to try to fit the audience he was addressing.

"Hillary was right: You can't trust Obama with your guns," says the NRA political action committee's ad, scheduled to run in USA Today. The PAC has spent at least $2.3 million on anti-Obama efforts, including more than $100,000 on the new USA Today ad.

The NRA ad includes a reproduction of Clinton's mailing, which mentioned Obama's comment at an April fundraiser in San Francisco that some small-town voters bitter about lost jobs "cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

"We believe that he's trying to fog the issue and confuse the voter, and he says he's for the Second Amendment while he votes to run the firearms industry and the Second Amendment out of business," Wayne LaPierre, the NRA's executive vice president, said in an interview Wednesday with The Associated Press.

Clinton spokeswoman Kathleen Strand said the senator did not approve the NRA's use of her campaign mailing.

Obama has said people have the right to lawfully bear arms and "there's nothing inconsistent with also saying we can institute some commonsense gun laws so that we don't have kids being shot on the streets of cities like Chicago."

"Senator Obama firmly believes that the Second amendment protects the individual right to bear arms and that he will respect the tradition of gun ownership in this country, which is why he received the endorsement of the American Hunters and Shooters Association," Obama campaign spokesman Tommy Vietor said. The association calls itself a "mainstream group of hunters" and says it supports safe and responsible gun ownership.

On Thursday, the NRA said it is endorsing John McCain despite differences on some issues. LaPierre said Wednesday that the NRA  would "be foolish to overlook the vast areas of agreement" it has with John McCain

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: NRA is getting into the fight.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 09:53:21 AM »
It would be so pitifully easy for the NRA to do some effective commercial ads.

Simple one:

Show footage from WWII of people running up on the beach with Garands, some falling, etc.

Show the statues that feature them.

Show a CMP match montage with smiling people and a trophy.

Show an elderly sort giving theirs to a younger person, then scratch-cut the music as someone takes it away.

Cut to a scene of the Garand lying on the ground as someone ignites a blowtorch with a characteristic click-igniter and roar, then brings the flame towards it.

Fade to black, then just words..."This is What Obama Wants."

End.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 10:12:08 AM »
Maned.... that would have the potential to backfire.

Those rifles from Normandy are scaryzOMGsoldiergunzwithlotsabullitz!  With much of the WWII veteran generation dying off, the first-hand knowledge of the garand and M1 carbine is declining and easily manipulated.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 10:36:18 AM »
Well, how about this, then?

Dark alley. Woman walking alone. Guy twice her size steps out of shadow with a knife.

She draws a handgun and points it at him with a "NO!",  he freezes and starts to run. Then, the scene pauses.

Someone comes in and takes the gun away.

Time unpauses. She now has nothing in her hands. Guy with knife grins and starts towards her again. Fade to black.

"What Obama Wants."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 10:58:57 AM »
How about just slightly modifying this one......

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/betteroffdead-ILcc.swf

But instead of saying "Illinois Anti-Gun Politicians"  say "Barack Obama".   After all, he wants to repeal CCW nation wide.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 11:38:38 AM »
Maned.... that would have the potential to backfire.

Those rifles from Normandy are scaryzOMGsoldiergunzwithlotsabullitz!  With much of the WWII veteran generation dying off, the first-hand knowledge of the garand and M1 carbine is declining and easily manipulated.

This is about us being able to own soldiers' equipment.

We know it, and they know it. If we show hunting rifles in our ads, we not only lie miserably, we weaken our own position.

It is our job to refamiliarize the public with ciitizens owning military-quality hardware and nobody else's.

The battle is not for this election. The battle is for America's hearts and minds. Always remember that. Keep your eyes on the objective.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 01:07:48 PM »

We know it, and they know it. If we show hunting rifles in our ads, we not only lie miserably, we weaken our own position.

It is our job to refamiliarize the public with ciitizens owning military-quality hardware and nobody else's.

The battle is not for this election. The battle is for America's hearts and minds. Always remember that. Keep your eyes on the objective.

..I find myself in increasing agreement with Microbalrog these days...
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 03:14:16 PM »

+1 :)
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic