Author Topic: Palin abused power, panel says  (Read 11896 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Palin abused power, panel says
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2008, 09:05:22 AM »
So a group of machine-republicans and democrats in Alaska find that Palin did nothing illegal but make noise anyway in an attempt to damage her?

Why am I unimpressed?

I recall the Pacifica Radio interview with former Alaska Dem Senator Mike Gravel and he thought Palin not only did no wrong on this matter, but was clearly in the right for trying to get such a dangerous and out of control trooper canned.

"Do we have to wait for the guy to kill someone?"

http://ridgeliner7.wordpress.com/2008/09/15/sen-mike-gravel-praises-sarah-palin-pacifica-hosts-shocked/
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2008, 10:22:02 AM »
So a group of machine-republicans and democrats in Alaska find that Palin did nothing illegal but make noise anyway in an attempt to damage her?

Why am I unimpressed?

I recall the Pacifica Radio interview with former Alaska Dem Senator Mike Gravel and he thought Palin not only did no wrong on this matter, but was clearly in the right for trying to get such a dangerous and out of control trooper canned.

"Do we have to wait for the guy to kill someone?"

http://ridgeliner7.wordpress.com/2008/09/15/sen-mike-gravel-praises-sarah-palin-pacifica-hosts-shocked/

Personally, I think this makes Palin even MORE electable....now if we can only convince her to drop McCain from the ticket....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2008, 10:30:07 AM »
...McCain's numbers (and the sample of editorials covering the numbers) started slipping definitively when Palin was turned loose for interviews, in tandem with the falling stock market, and the conservative press became just as critical in some spots as the liberal press.

You're lumping a number of factors into one cause-and-effect argument. Yes, the McCain campaign tried to micro-manage Palin right after the convention, and that made for bad interviews. The Gibbons and Couric interviews would have been difficult for any candidate, though, had the questions been exactly the same and the same type of "editing" applied.

No argument here that McCain's poll numbers started to fall when the stock market numbers did, but that reflects the public's fear and the tendency to blame the party in the White House for whatever happens, whether it be hurricanes, stock market crashes, or bad episodes of "Sex in the City."

There was also a fear amongst many conservatives (including me) that Palin wouldn't do well without scripting. Once she was freed from her handlers, though, that fear abated. Even the conservative critics mentioned--Will, Parker--have acknowledged as much.

Back to the original topic, though. Monegan disobeyed a direct policy from the Palin administration, and went to DC to lobby. That was more than sufficient justification for her to fire him. The trooper, Wooten, was definitely not fit to serve, and could have even been considered a threat to the governor's family. His supervisor said as much.

Enter French, a Democrat with no small partisan ax to grind, and Monegan, who was looking for revenge. He and Monegan teamed up to get the investigation going. It was payback time for Palin.

There was never any doubt as to what this "investigation" was going to reveal, because the findings had already been written before the investigation started. And French made damn sure that the investigation concluded before November 4th, even though even the most inexperienced political observer can see the questionable timing.

Is this a serious problem for McCain/Palin? My guess is that the Obama campaign has been doing some polling. If you see a lot of ads about it, then it's a problem. If not, then the Obama camp found that it's a non-issue for voters.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2008, 10:38:12 AM »
they must have a union for troopers there or he woulda surely been fired long ago. he aknowledges he screwed up
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2008, 11:11:54 AM »
The timing is, well, "interesting," as is the timing of some other recent events.  You have to wonder...

Palin is neither fully formed nor "the answer," but she at least has the potential to represent the American people in their best and truest form, something I cannot say for the other three candidates.

It is truly absurd that Sarah Palin is being set up for censure, on rather questionable grounds, when D.C. and NYC currently represent a near inexhaustible supply of felonious examples of rank malfeasance and dereliction of duty.

We wink at Raines and Gorelick and we persecute Palin...?

Who is kidding whom? 
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2008, 12:29:26 PM »
We wink at Raines and Gorelick and we persecute Palin...?

Gorelick should be one of the first ones up against the wall when the revolution comes.  Between the "wall of separation" memo that enabled 9/11 and her hand in the sub-prime debacle, she is truly an enemy of America.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2008, 02:27:46 PM »
they must have a union for troopers there or he woulda surely been fired long ago. he aknowledges he screwed up

That's exactly what the issue was-if he were an at will employee there wouldn't have been a scandal.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2008, 12:00:57 PM »
I haven't read the report, nor will I any time soon, but I have been unimpressed with the portions I have read.  Bill Dyer has a good analysis here:

http://hughhewitt.townhall.com/blog/g/134db782-50f0-42e5-8171-791804d9fbc1

From his article:

The Branchflower Report is a series of guesses and insupportable conclusions drawn by exactly one guy, and it hasn't been approved or adopted or endorsed by so much as a single sub-committee of the Alaska Legislature, much less any kind of commission, court, jury, or other proper adjudicatory body.

and

Here's a note to Mr. Branchflower, who clearly is verbose, but obviously none too keen a scholar of logic: Gov. Palin's so-called "firing" of Monegan (it wasn't a firing, it was a re-assignment to other government duties that he resigned rather than accept) can't simultaneously be a violation of the Ethics Act and "a proper and lawful exercise of her constitutional and statutory authority." This, gentle readers, is a 263-page piece of political circus that actually explicitly refutes itself on its single most key page!

This hasn't stopped the left from saying she is guilty and unfit to serve as the VP.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2008, 12:39:30 AM »
She's not guilty of a damn thing until a judge/jury says she is.

All this is is some legislative body saying "we think she did something cruddy, but it wasn't Illegal."

The whole thing is a yawner.

PS I still hate her.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2008, 12:59:41 AM »
She's not guilty of a damn thing until a judge/jury says she is.

All this is is some legislative body saying "we think she did something cruddy, but it wasn't Illegal."

The whole thing is a yawner.

PS I still hate her.

I believe they concluded she violated the state ethics law, which prohibits using state offices or resources for any personal matter-and that the issue with the trooper was a personal one, given that he was divorcing her sister.   Not supposed to use the office of the governor to fire your ugly in-laws, it seems, under the Alaskan ethics rules.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2008, 01:34:22 AM »
She didn't fire her in-law.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2008, 07:51:15 AM »
I believe they concluded she violated the state ethics law, which prohibits using state offices or resources for any personal matter-and that the issue with the trooper was a personal one, given that he was divorcing her sister.   Not supposed to use the office of the governor to fire your ugly in-laws, it seems, under the Alaskan ethics rules.

The problem being the legislative branch can "find" whatever it wants, but that's pretty meaningless IMHO unless it's backed up by some kind of prosecution in court.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

HankB

• friend
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2008, 08:22:42 AM »
. . . Not supposed to use the office of the governor to fire your ugly in-laws, it seems, under the Alaskan ethics rules.
Ignoring the alleged death threats, poaching big game and child abuse (tasering a 10-year old) aren't enough reason to fire the guy?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2008, 09:21:18 AM »
Ignoring the alleged death threats, poaching big game and child abuse (tasering a 10-year old) aren't enough reason to fire the guy?
When it comes to a lot of unions, nothing justifies firing a guy.

This isn't a scandal, just BS election hype. 

Would someone please post a timeline of event related to this?  I am sure someone knows off the top of their head.  I think some of these people on this board are confused as to when events happened like:  sister's divorce, the threats, Palin's initial complaints, election as governor, and firing of the supervisor.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2008, 09:57:46 AM »
When it comes to a lot of unions, nothing justifies firing a guy.

Here in Milwaukee, if a cop is under indictment for beating a suspect or other crimes, he's off the force until convicted, but he still gets full pay until the court renders the verdict.

Wildalaska

• friend
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2008, 07:19:47 PM »
Its all politcs...and the troopers up here have a lot of bad apples

WildnotallbutalotAlaska â„¢
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/