Author Topic: Gasoline: How low will it go?  (Read 67434 times)

Regolith

• friend
Re: Gasoline: How low will it go?
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2008, 01:19:11 AM »
It dropped here after my initial post, too.  It's down to $3.44.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2008, 01:30:34 AM »
"And I think you meant corn "maize."

No, he meant a maize maze...

As for gasoline and how it's priced...

Remember, gasoline is a commodity that is traded SEPARATELY from crude oil, the same with any number of other distillates, such as home heating oil.

You don't buy a barrel of crude oil, and that sets the absolute price for the distillates.

While it's generally true that distillate prices follow the the price per barrel of crude, that's not always the case. Good example is home heating oil. You can have a falling price of crude but a strongly escalating price of home heating oil if demand for that product goes up due to a significantly colder than estimated winter.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2008, 01:30:36 AM »
At this rate, it will be free by Nov. 4.  That Dick Cheney, he's a slippery devil. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2008, 07:48:06 AM »
It odd yesterday.

I went over to Mtnbkr's for dinner. The gas in his area tends to be a bit cheaper than the gas in my area for some reason, so I normally tank up there.

There was a HUGE price differential from one side of his town to the other. I think the highest I saw was 3.32, while where I got gas near his house it was 2.99. And, on my way home I passed another station where I THINK the price dropped 16 cents a gallon between 5 p.m. and 10:30.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2008, 08:38:30 AM »
I can't figure the price any more.  Price of crude goes up and gasoline prices spike upward the same day or the day after.  Price goes down and gasoline takes it good old time slowly... slowly dropping in price.  That is the way it has always been.

So why was the price at the pump about the same when oil was $120 vs $150 a barrel?  At that point, I gave up trying to understand the whole thing and have moved into the "price gouging" or "get what you can" point of view.  Oil is a commodity.  From the gasoline retailer's perspective, sometimes you win and sometimes you loose or that is the way it should be.  If not, then make it a set price and don't change it regardless of the price of crude oil.

Price has not significantly changed downward in my area.  It is still running about $0.50 more per gallon than it ought to be.  My area typically was below the average national price consistantly until the last hurricane.  Now we are higher.

The IRS is now allowing $0.58 per mile for business travel.  I check the price far too rarely.  Last I saw it was around $0.50.  So you think you can charge your customer 50-cents a mile for a business travel.... heck no.  They kick and think you are gouging them just like the oil companies.  It is a catch 22 for the business owner; you just make less money.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 08:47:01 AM by slingshot »
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2008, 10:54:38 AM »
Yesterday in the space of about 25 miles of highway I saw gas range from 2.99 up to 3.39 with the average being in the 3.teens.  Gas is falling pretty rapidly and theres no real average in my neck of the woods.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2008, 01:01:49 PM »
I can't figure the price any more.  Price of crude goes up and gasoline prices spike upward the same day or the day after.  Price goes down and gasoline takes it good old time slowly... slowly dropping in price.  That is the way it has always been.

So why was the price at the pump about the same when oil was $120 vs $150 a barrel?  At that point, I gave up trying to understand the whole thing and have moved into the "price gouging" or "get what you can" point of view.  Oil is a commodity.  From the gasoline retailer's perspective, sometimes you win and sometimes you loose or that is the way it should be.  If not, then make it a set price and don't change it regardless of the price of crude oil.

Gasoline retailers gouging customers are in the minority. This is quite simplistic, but explains the situation.

Say I'm a gasoline retailer. I have 10,000 gallons in the ground, and I paid $1 a gallon. To make a profit and pay overhead, I charge $1.25 a gallon. 10,000 x $1.25 = $12,500. Need to set aside $10,000 of that for next week's gas delivery, and pay $1250 in overhead. Leaves me a $1250 profit.

I call my distributor to arrange next week's delivery. Distributor says "Due to the per barrel prices skyrocketing, I'm going to have to raise the price $.40 a gallon."

Let's see. To buy the same 10,000 gallons of gasoline, I'll have to come up with $14,000. I could not pay my overhead from last week and not take a profit, but I would still come up short by $1,500.

Only solution to keep me out of the red is to raise the price of the gasoline I already have in the ground. Immediately.

Say gas prices fall, and I have 10,000 gallons in the ground for which I paid $1.40 a gallon, my retail price $1.65. Current price is back to $1.00 a gallon wholesale. Some of the retailers in my area have that $1.00 a gallon gas in the ground, and are selling for $1.25 a gallon. To stay competive, I am going to have to lower my prices.
If I put the price at $1.25, I will be in the red $4000 on that $1.40 a gallon gasoline. So, I lower the price, reluctantly, and try to cut my losses as much as possible.

I may not have explained it clearly, but that's why retail gasoline prices rise quickly and fall slowly. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 01:12:43 PM by grislyatoms »
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2008, 02:55:52 PM »
I find it interesting that in this area, diesel seems to be decreasing in price faster and at a greater percentage than regular unleaded.  At some stations, it is approaching parity.  Heretofore, it was significantly more expensive per gallon than regular unleaded.  I wonder what accounts for this price drop.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2008, 02:59:52 PM »
I find it interesting that in this area, diesel seems to be decreasing in price faster and at a greater percentage than regular unleaded.  At some stations, it is approaching parity.  Heretofore, it was significantly more expensive per gallon than regular unleaded.  I wonder what accounts for this price drop.

Maybe:

Economic slowdown = lower retail sales = fewer truck miles for goods delivery = less diesel consumed = price dropping rapidly?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2008, 08:07:32 PM »
One of the stations that was 2.99 yesterday is 2.89 tonight.

Chris

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2008, 11:01:56 PM »
It was $2.52 in Rich Hill, MO when I went through this afternoon.
I heard it was $1.99 at a station in Topeka,KS for a promotion.
I don't think we will see it below $2.00 around here again.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2008, 12:18:41 AM »
Currently $2.59 here in Wichita, KS last I checked. Came back from Oklahoma City, OK where gas was $2.49. It's crazy, gas seems to be dropping a few cents each day.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2008, 12:36:31 AM »
Oh, it's crazy.  But it's a good kind of crazy. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2008, 12:48:29 AM »
Not complaining here, =D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Zed

« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2008, 01:06:46 AM »
Not sure about Fuel, but I have info from some reliable sources that oil is going down to the $35 per barrel area.

How or why I have no clue.
Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you would have peace, prepare for war.)

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2008, 05:00:50 AM »
I'm not sure if anyone from CA chimed in, but the lowest price I've seen is $3.43 gal. as of yesterday.
It was $4.69 gal. not too long ago.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2008, 05:57:00 AM »
I'm not sure if anyone from CA chimed in, but the lowest price I've seen is $3.43 gal. as of yesterday.
It was $4.69 gal. not too long ago.

Y'all [ahnold]Kall-ee-forn-ee-ah[/ahnold] folks pay for your good weather through the nose.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2008, 06:04:09 AM »
Y'all [ahnold]Kall-ee-forn-ee-ah[/ahnold] folks pay for your good weather through the nose.

...Good... weather? Are we talking about the same California here?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2008, 06:15:51 AM »

True, true.  =(

...Good... weather? Are we talking about the same California here?

Did you not know that the sun revolves around us Californians, as well as much of the universe?

:laugh:
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Paragon

• friend
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2008, 08:22:16 AM »
$2.96 this morning in Fredericksburg, VA.  I hope it continues this trend, as I'm driving 800 miles on Friday. 

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2008, 11:52:13 AM »
Did you not know that the sun revolves around us Californians, as well as much of the universe?

I do not normally refer to 39-degree-Celsius weather as 'good'.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2008, 02:34:11 PM »
I do not normally refer to 39-degree-Celsius weather as 'good'.
Where are you getting temps like that from? Barstow?

San Diego's right on the border with Mexico, and doesn't seem to go above 80 F=27 C (according to Weather.com's average weather graph). About the same with Los Angeles.

Oh. Fuel was 2.71 last night.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2008, 03:39:02 PM »
yesteday I saw several signs out at $3.25.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2008, 03:42:21 PM »
This morning the lower price is in the $3.05-$3.09/gal range here in SE TN.  Prices dropped by almost $0.40/gallon in one day at this one station.  Guess they got a new load of gasoline delivered.  I do understand how retailers deal with price increases and decreases.  But it seems to be prevalent at the refinery level too.  I guess the same economics applies to the refineries as well when they are dealing with an entire tanker load of crude oil.

We are just starting to see stations with multiple grades of gasoline available now.  It was only regular for about a month and as I said, many stations ran out of fuel and had none to replenish the supply since hurricane Ike hit Houston/Galveston area.  I believe there was rationing going on at the distributer level.  The gasoline supply problem has seemed to work itself out as of today.  Just think what a nuclear attack would do to gasoline supplies??  We live in a fragile world.  
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2008, 03:45:25 PM »
Pre-election price drops.

I've seen it in 02, 04, 06 and now in 08.  Most dramatically in 04, 06 and 08.

It'll go back up in December or January after we've all been duped.

This particular drop might be slightly helped by the political climate of pro-domestic drilling, but I still suspect it's mostly November Nervousness for oil companies, refineries and gasoline distributors.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!