Author Topic: Fall Colors  (Read 5548 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Fall Colors
« on: October 11, 2008, 12:19:10 PM »
White snow on top of green grass.  Looks kind of weird.   =|

Trees bending over to the ground under the weight of sticky wet snow.

More snow yet to come.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Fall Colors
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 12:29:48 PM »
White snow on green grass.
Trees bending under the weight.
More snow yet to come.

FTFY
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 12:51:36 PM »
UNTRUE !!!  HERETIC !!!

ALGORE said we're all gonna die from the heat of Global Woerming.  That's not 'snow', it's frozen heat causing the trees to bend from it's hotness.

REPENT NOW AND EMBRACE THE NEW WISDOM OF YOUR BETTERS !!!

:lol:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »
UNTRUE !!!  HERETIC !!!

ALGORE said we're all gonna die from the heat of Global Woerming.  That's not 'snow', it's frozen heat causing the trees to bend from it's hotness.

REPENT NOW AND EMBRACE THE NEW WISDOM OF YOUR BETTERS !!!

:lol:

Also, bedlamite wins the thread.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 03:26:05 PM »
Yeah, I thought my original post sounded sort of haiku-ish in a free verse cowboy poet sort of way, but I decided to just leave it as it was. :laugh:

Somebody on a recently closed thread suggested going out to look at the fall colors, so I thought I'd post about ours. ;)

We're supposed to get another 16 inches of white fall color by tomorrow night.  :O

Normally, we just get 4 inches of snow and four feet of wind  :rolleyes:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 03:54:05 PM »
Yeah....we got some sprinkles of white "fall color" yesterday.  Couple of years ago at this time of year it was almost warm enough to require air conditioning; right now I'm sitting in my apartment almost freezing my butt off, even with a freaking sweater on.

I've also got some pictures floating around of a fresh snow fall in the mountains....that date from last June.

Global warming my ass.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 03:55:49 PM »
Pushing 80 deg. here this weekend.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 03:58:38 PM »
Pushing 80 deg. here this weekend.

I hate you.   :laugh:

Our highest temperature in the next week is supposed to be around 64 deg.  Right now its 46.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 04:01:18 PM »
Well, I'm getting antsy for some cold weather.

The only thing that keeps me from REALLY wanting cold weather to hit, though, is the fact that my Mom has to pay for heating oil. The warmer it stays, the less oil she uses, which is just fine with me.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 05:47:54 PM »
The (semi-)Global Warming only happens during the summer  :laugh:

Our area set some record high's in July and August, yet it was a rather cool summer overall.  Last frost was the middle of June and the first frost was the first week of September.  So it was a hot summer that only lasted about four weeks  =|

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 06:10:31 PM »
White snow on green grass.
Trees bending under the weight.
More snow yet to come.

It even has seventeen syllables!  Bravo!
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 07:33:06 PM »
Becoming shades of intense gold, orange and scarlet here. Tourists come just to look at it.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 10:45:19 PM »
Trees starting to turn here too.  Went up to Gettysburg today and the ones in the high country are producing more colors than the one down in elevation.  Was in the mid 70's there as well.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 11:10:22 PM »
White snow on top of green grass.  Looks kind of weird.   

Trees bending over to the ground under the weight of sticky wet snow.

You're right.  That IS weird.  Such is normally spring conditions here in the the P.R. of Boulder.

Fall as been mild and bright this year, only recently turning cool/cold with grey skies and drizzle today.  Turned on the furnace yesterday for the first time since late April, and only then to keep the fish warm (their heater burned out last week).
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 02:40:34 PM »
Well, it's still coming.  Haven't done much but shovel snow all morning (the same places over and over mostly).

We expect to have about 18" of global warming on the ground by tonight  :rolleyes:

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 08:34:44 PM »
Went up to Charlevoix, Mi, 3 hours north of us, in a little valley between Lake Michigan and Lake Charlevoix.  Colors on the way up were intense reds, copper, scarlet, and yellows as well as the green pines.  Was in the 70's, blue sky, no wind.  Good whitefish to eat, home grown wines to drink.  The Big Lake was flat and the light breeze was sweet and pure and the water turquoise and clear.  Lake Charlevoix was beautiful, as usua,l as well.  Was Apple Fest weekend.  Old and new friends at the B & B.  Lots of fresh fruits and vegetable for sale and the artsy fartsy craft folk were all about.  Nice 3 day weekend for our 42nd anniversary.

One couple we met is from around Bozeman, TP.  He's coming back home Tuesday through the U.P. and then West.  He said he'd be expecting more snow.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2008, 01:27:06 PM »
Bozeman: a little bit of California right here in Montana :(

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2008, 06:44:48 PM »
TP,

Heh, the fella made a point to say he lived about 15 miles or so outside of Bozeman.  I disremember where he said he lived, exactly.

We talked about guns and critters a bit.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Teknoid

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2008, 06:56:29 PM »
I hate fall. Fall brings those nasty creatures known as "tourists". I'm on the road all day, and people driving 10 mph on mountain roads where I can't even pass the idjits ticks me off. Makes it hard to get done at a reasonable time. You can keep the snow, though. It's worse than tourists. Wet leaves are bad enough. It's like driving on ice when it rains.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2008, 08:01:11 AM »
Headed to Grand Marais here.  Camping on Lake Superior in October and not digging through snow was a whole new experience.  Incredibly beautiful up there. Hiked a couple stretches of the North Country Trail.  Listened to the bear hunters in the early morning.

Nice weekend.

Swimming in Lake Superior is still the most fun with hypothermia one can have in under ten minutes, too.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2008, 09:29:24 AM »
Swimming in Lake Superior is still the most fun with hypothermia one can have in under ten minutes, too.

That experience would be in July.  What about now? :O =D

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2008, 09:31:12 AM »
I went out this weekend, and every time I turned a corner on some twisty road, it was a vista of hills in the aforementioned gold, scarlet and orange, with either a red barn or a white-steeple church as a foreground element to all of it. It was like "This can't be real! This is a painting!"

I love New England. :)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2008, 09:39:32 AM »
Well, I'm getting antsy for some cold weather.

The only thing that keeps me from REALLY wanting cold weather to hit, though, is the fact that my Mom has to pay for heating oil. The warmer it stays, the less oil she uses, which is just fine with me.

Hereitc! 

I for one welcome global warming.  I don't like winter.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2008, 01:59:13 PM »
That experience would be in July.  What about now? :O =D

It was cold, man.  Real cold.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2008, 02:04:43 PM »

Hereitc! 

I for one welcome global warming.  I don't like winter.

OK, rich boy. Send me a check to help me buy heating oil for Mom.

An larn to spull Hair-e-tick.