Author Topic: Congressman John Lewis compares McCain to George Wallace  (Read 2305 times)

Don't care

Congressman John Lewis compares McCain to George Wallace
« on: October 12, 2008, 06:22:15 AM »
John Lewis accused Mr McCain's campaign of "sowing hatred" against opponent Barack Obama and said he was reminded of 1960s segregationist George Wallace.....

Mr Lewis said the "sowing of seeds of hatred and division" reminded him of Alabama Governor Wallace's rhetoric in 1963 that was blamed for a church bomb attack that killed four young girls.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_elections_2008/7665780.stm

The issue of race has now overtly found it's way into this presidential campaign.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Congressman John Lewis compares McCain to George Wallace
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 06:36:03 AM »
The BBC refers to Lewis as a 'civil rights icon'. What is his achievement in this area?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 07:11:58 AM »
Here’s what I found on him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lewis_(politician)

Synopsis:
He was part of the non-violent protests during the civil rights movement of the 1960s, got beat up by the police, began criticizing the federal .gov for not taking more pro-Black action, began working with community organizations, became a liberal Democrat, found a fan in Howard Zinn, was elected to Atlanta City Council in 1981 and then the US Senate in 1986. In Oct. 2007 he backed Hillary Clinton, but then dumped her in Feb. 2008 in favor of Obama.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Don't care

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 07:21:38 AM »
The BBC refers to Lewis as a 'civil rights icon'. What is his achievement in this area?

Lewis is best known as an activist with the SNCC during the civil rights movement, participating as a "freedom rider", but most notably speaking before the same crowd as MLK's "I have a dream" speech in Washington, D.C. in 1963.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 12:35:22 PM »
The Left, like all movements based on unreason, continues to create the very thing it fears.

If they keep it up, they will have a nation of George Wallaces before they are done.  (And, no, I'm not saying that's A Good Thing...but then neither is a nation of John Lewises.)
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Wildalaska

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 01:04:36 PM »
I voted for George Wallace once. And folks think I'm a leftist :O

WildjustonceAlaska TM
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 08:29:19 PM »
Lewis referred to the Republicans in the legislature in the mid-90's as being just like the Nazis, so I can't say I am surprised that he is spouting off with this stuff.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.