Author Topic: Horrific case of child abuse  (Read 4606 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Horrific case of child abuse
« on: October 15, 2008, 12:33:17 AM »
As a parent, words absolutely fail me.  A similar case up here in Everett earlier this year resulted in eight and ten year sentences, respectively, for the mother and father in that case.   From the 10/14/08 Seattle Times:

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - Page updated at 01:39 p.m.

Carnation girl, 14, found starved to 48 pounds
By Mike Carter, Sonia Krishnan, Christine Clarridge and Lornet Turnbull
Seattle Times staff reporters

For Rebecca Long, it was a "power struggle" intended to rein in an unruly stepdaughter. She'd lock the teenager in her bedroom and deny her food and water, according to court documents. To teach her a lesson.

For the girl, it was a nightmarish struggle to survive on toast and a half a Dixie cup of water a day. Desperate to slake her thirst, the girl reportedly told detectives she would sometimes suck condensation from the windows or sneak a drink from the toilet — that is, until she got caught.

Then, she said, she was forced to sleep on the floor in her stepmom's room, a heavy dresser blocking the door.

The rest of the time, according to detectives, the child was locked in her room behind double deadbolts, her floor and clothing sprinkled with rodent droppings and every bite of her meager meals an agony because her teeth were rotting out.

Once, the girl told detectives, her stepmother duct-taped her hands behind her and dunked her head in the toilet, the charges allege.

To teach her a lesson.

King County prosecutors on Monday filed felony mistreatment charges against Long, 44, and the girl's father, Jon Pomeroy, 43, alleging they isolated and starved the 14-year-old girl.

Long and Pomeroy were originally arrested Friday and, at that time, prosecutors asked they be held on $400,000 and $150,000 bail, respectively. King County District Court Judge Janet Garrow said she did not believe they posed a flight risk or were a threat to the community and released them on their own recognizance.

Monday evening, the couple were booked into jail and then released on $20,000 bail each. They are scheduled to appear for arraignment Oct. 27. When police and state child-protection agents responded to the couple's secluded Carnation home in August, after a call from concerned neighbors, they found the girl sick, pale and emaciated.

She was 4 foot 7 and weighed 48 pounds.

The girl's 12-year-old brother and two family dogs appeared in good health, according to court papers.

Both of the children were removed from the home by Child Protective Services.

Three years ago, in March 2005, CPS agents investigated a complaint from the girl's schoolteacher after the child had talked of harsh treatment at home, including being locked in her room and deprived of food.

Investigators found the girl thin and confirmed her allegations, CPS spokesman Thomas Shapley said Monday. It's not clear what happened next, although CPS officials say the mother received counseling.

"There were similar issues with the girl's weight. Obviously, it was not as extreme," Shapley said Monday.

What is certain is that the children were left in the home and the case was closed a month later.

"When a case is closed, there's a determination made that the situation, the crisis has passed," said Shapley.

The children enrolled in Carnation Elementary School in 2001, but their parents pulled them out to be home schooled three years later. Even so, they still had been attending an alternative program once a week.

After the complaint, the children never returned to the school, officials said.

"We've had no contact, no referrals or calls or complaints since that one in March 2005," Shapley said.

On Aug 13, a sheriff's deputy went to the home after a neighbor called CPS to report screaming from the house the night before.

The lead detective on the case, who has been with the special-assault unit for 16 years, said "he's never seen a case of abuse this bad," said sheriff's spokesman Sgt. John Urquhart.

The girl was "concentration camp" thin, Urquhart said.

Long, interviewed by investigators, said that she and the girl were locked in a "power struggle" and the child was being disciplined for "behavior problems," according to charging papers filed Friday in King County Superior Court.

Pomeroy, the girl's father, stayed out of it.

"Jon said that the conflict between [the girl] and Rebecca was concerning, but he thought they could just handle it themselves," wrote sheriff's Detective Casey Johnson.

Authorities say Long is a stay-at-home mother and Pomeroy is a software engineer who worked at Estorian Inc. in Bellevue.

The girl was taken straight to Children's Medical Center, where she spent two weeks and underwent surgery to remove six of her teeth and put crowns on all of the others. Doctors said malnutrition and the apparent failure of her saliva glands — the body's response to severe dehydration — destroyed her teeth.

The girl "explained that, while she did have a toothbrush, it was very old and dirty and her stepmother, who must watch her when she brushes in order to make sure she does not drink any extra water, often doesn't want to wait ... so she goes without brushing," according to the charges.

It was the same when she was allowed to shower every two or three weeks, the girl told deputies, according to the documents.

Deputies said she more resembled a child of 7 or 8 years old, and doctors at Children's said she stopped gaining weight around age 9.

It's unlikely the girl had been to a doctor since 2002, according to papers detectives said they found in the house during a search. Long told police that neither child had been to a doctor in years, "explaining that the kids do not get germs and do not get sick."

Deputies, however, said they found documents that indicated her little brother had been seen by a physician in the past few years.

"Other documents were collected showing that the two family dogs had had recent trips to a veterinary clinic," according to the charges.

The complaint said that doctors and psychiatrists who treated the girl saw no signs of behavior problems or any eating disorder, although she had suicidal thoughts because of her "perception of the helplessness and hopelessness in the face of maltreatment."

Since the girl's been in foster care, according to the court documents, she's gained 20 pounds, has been attending private school, and is making friends.

The children's biological mother and Pomeroy married in the early 1990s in Albuquerque, N.M., where he was working for WordPerfect, according to the mother's father, Robert Stokes, 73, of Bosque Farms, N.M. Stokes said Monday that Pomeroy was "quiet, and just a little odd."

The couple moved to Orem, Utah, in the mid-'90s and had the two children. They separated and divorced while in Utah, and Pomeroy was given custody of the children.

Stokes said he had received a few "nice letters" from his grandchildren in the beginning, but the contacts became less and less frequent. "I haven't heard from him in some time — years," Stokes said of Pomeroy.

Stokes learned that his grandchildren had been taken into custody when he received a message on his answering machine from a Department of Social and Health Services caseworker.

"I haven't had a chance to get back in touch," Stokes said. "I'm just sick about this."

Long and Pomeroy apparently met while they both were working at WordPerfect in Orem, said Bruce Webb, Long's ex-husband.

Webb described Long as a "perfectionist" whom he had met while both were training for the National Guard in Indiana in 1985. They stayed in touch and eventually married in 1988. They divorced in 1993.

"I thought I knew her, but obviously I didn't," Webb said Monday. "She was selfish and self-centered, for sure, but I never would have thought she'd be capable of something like this."

The house where the family lives is on a cul-de-sac near the north end of Lake Marcel, about 40 miles east of Seattle, between the communities of Duvall and Carnation.

One neighbor, who declined to identify himself other than to say his first name was Jordan, said he'd talked to people at the home only twice in about two years.

"They're very 'to-themselves' kind of people," he said. "I never knew they had a daughter," he said. "They just stayed inside a lot. I never heard any screaming. Police took the kids awhile ago."

He said a sport-utility vehicle and a car normally were parked in the driveway at the home, but no vehicles were there today and nobody appeared to be home.

Mike Carter: 206-464-3706 or mcarter@seattletimes.com.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Horrific case of child abuse
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 12:39:00 AM »
The mother is an idiotic, subhuman piece of crap. Lock her up and throw away the key.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 12:43:39 AM »
The mother is an idiotic, subhuman piece of crap. Lock her up and throw away the key.

You are too kind. Starve her to death.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 12:52:28 AM »
You are too kind. Starve her to death.

But not too quickly.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 01:30:14 AM »
Everyone please be sure to express your moral outrage and tell us, in exacting, excruciating detail, just how, and for how long, you would torture the parents to make them pay and see the error of their ways.*

* Don't bother. If all you're going to do is express moral outrage, you've got nothing to add, so just move along.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 01:58:56 AM »
I know prosecutors often plea bargain, but I hope they take this to trial. I'd think her age and weight would be a pretty air tight case.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 02:12:25 AM »
Everyone please be sure to express your moral outrage and tell us, in exacting, excruciating detail, just how, and for how long, you would torture the parents to make them pay and see the error of their ways.*

* Don't bother. If all you're going to do is express moral outrage, you've got nothing to add, so just move along.
Yea, I agree.
That stuff is kind of silly.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 06:11:57 AM »
It was cases like these that made me realize I couldn't work for CPS and have access to firearms at the same time...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 09:26:37 AM »
I agree on the torture part.  Punishment should be swift and relatively painless so the victim and everyone else can be done with it and put the experience behind them.  Justice is supposed to act in place of vengeance, not become it. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 10:35:55 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 12:59:39 PM »
I don't understand what could make someone do this to another human being. Just reading about it makes my heart ache.
Look, tiny text!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 01:36:30 PM »
The GF being a psychologist, I get a running narrative on stuff like this.  It's stunning the behavior that people will evidence in their particular world of normality.  Some people are conditioned to it (psychologically abused until the abuse becomes the expected norm).  Some get it the old fashioned way (just plain nuts and always have been).

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

PTK

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 02:09:49 PM »
I'm not quite sure what the parents were hoping to accomplish. What lesson would they hope to teach her by locking her in a room without food/water?

Not that I'm condoning their actions, I'm simply curious what the goal was, and how the actions they took were supposed to reach said goal.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 02:24:36 PM »
I'm not quite sure what the parents were hoping to accomplish. What lesson would they hope to teach her by locking her in a room without food/water?

Not that I'm condoning their actions, I'm simply curious what the goal was, and how the actions they took were supposed to reach said goal.

...and THAT is the definition of insanity, folks....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 02:25:58 PM »

That's trying to impose a logical, linear thought process on madness. Not effective.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 03:19:20 PM »
We just had a similar incident here: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=4533548. My wife is a nurse at the ER the kids were brought to, she said they were holocaust-skinny.   =(

PTK

• friends
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 07:05:32 PM »
...and THAT is the definition of insanity, folks....

I hope you're calling the "parents" insane, not me. :|

That's trying to impose a logical, linear thought process on madness. Not effective.

Yes, so I see...
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 09:00:04 PM »
I don't even have any kids.  But even I have gotten to the point I don't read stories like this anymore.  Let the jury consider the details.  I don't want to know. 

I don't read these stories much anymore.  I had a contract with CPS for 4 or 5 years and worked with kids that were removed from the home.  Most weren't as bad off as the OP, but some were worse.  I wish I could say I got used to it, but one reason I left that line of work was because I couldn't.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 01:05:20 AM »
I don't read these stories much anymore.  I had a contract with CPS for 4 or 5 years and worked with kids that were removed from the home.  Most weren't as bad off as the OP, but some were worse.  I wish I could say I got used to it, but one reason I left that line of work was because I couldn't.

Just think of what you would have become if you had become used to it. I'm not sure how you did it for so long without burying a hammer in some scumbags scull or the like. These are one of the few things in life that cause a burning anger within me.
Look, tiny text!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 10:41:55 AM »
Sometimes it takes a crazy person to understand craziness.

Others have told me I was a victim of abuse/neglect.  I just always thought my father was mean and could not figure out any other ways to deal with me, the not-quite-perfect-child [/understatement].

I ended up working CPS for almost a dozen years, and actually liked what I was doing.  I did not like many of the adults I had to deal with, but most of them were not psychopaths, just generally hard-case frustrated and beyond the end of their wits.  I know I made a difference in the lives of most of the kids I worked with, and even in the lives of some of the adults.  If nothing else, I know that the physical abuse and/or neglect stopped - and not just while the case was active.  For many, the psychological abuse/neglect stopped as well.

Based on that experience, I would go way out on the proverbial limb and say neither set of parents/caretakers were pathological.  Rather, I'd say they had gone way past their ability to tolerate frustration and were reacting in a spiral of frustration.

I had a few cases very much like these two - one kid out of a blended family of 9.  He was scapgoated for his mother's death shortly after he was born.  Besides everything else, he suffered from psychosocial dwarfism - physical and emotional growth stopped due to no physical reasons.  After a few years in permanent foster care (the best plan for him) he started to grow.  Once growth resumed, he shot up like the proverbial weed!  He also went from special ed to regular clases and ended up a solid B+ HS graduate.  After a stint in the Army he returned to his foster parent's (yes, singular - a single guy) home and a job as a mechanic based on his Army training.  A year later he was adopted by his foster parent.

In case you were interested, he was in permanent foster care because the judge wanted daddy to pay child support.  I liked that judge!  =D

Another kid, also with psychosocial dwarfism, ended up gaining 3+ feet of growth, 150# of muscle, and a 20-year prison setting.  He went back home and had a "talk" with his daddy that resulted in the kid going to prison.  Really a sad ending.

Last kid I saw all the way from intake to adulthood was just plain crazy when he came to CPS attention.  Seriously schitzo and violent, as well as possibly retarded - both as a result of malnourishment - was the initial assessment.  After some hospitalization for physical issues and some careful meds management, he seemed to get over the violence and most of the schitzo stuff.  Turns out he was not retarded at all, but just uncommunicative and unwilling to do anything.  As far as I know, he's still holding down a steady job, still married, has at least two kids (have not heard from/about him for a while) and has not been accused of abusing/neglecting his kids, or of any crimer worse than a speeding ticket.

All three survived the physical trauma.  Two managed to cope with the emotional trauma.  The fact that a system was in place that was willing to commit the effort needed to make that happen is not the norm - but these kids were luck to fall into that system.

It's possible that the kids in these 2 cases will also survive.  It's difficult to say if they will overcome what has happened to them.  My prayers are with them and for the folks who will be dealing with them over the years.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 01:46:56 PM »
Sometimes it takes a crazy person to understand craziness.  

Which is how we all manage to get along on APS.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2008, 03:00:52 PM »
Which is how we all manage to get along on APS.

Well said, Harvey....