Author Topic: New(used) film camera choice: Nikon F4 or F100?  (Read 12211 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: New(used) film camera choice: Nikon F4 or F100?
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2008, 10:58:51 PM »
I ended up with an F100 after all.  I got a great deal on one from a shop in Pa ($170 shipped with 14 day warranty, supposedly checked by a tech, shutter speeds confirmed, etc).  Glad I went that route because I got to fondle an F100 and F4 side by side today.  The F4 was nice, but the F100 was able to get a focus lock in situations that flummoxed the F4.  Both were about the same in terms of focusing speed.  The F4 would make a nice backup to the F100, but I think the F100 will make the better day to day user for me.

I checked both bodies out with a 70-210 zoom I have at home.  Nice lens image-wise, but doesn't work well with my N80.  It hunts and has a hard time locking on the subject in anything but bright light.  It was a bit better on the F4 and a totally different lens on the F100. 

Chris

Kestrel

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2008, 11:43:03 PM »
Chis,

That's a great price on the F100. Several years ago, I think I paid around $1000 for mine, if I remember correctly.

Best of luck - you'll love that F100.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2008, 05:30:31 PM »
If it's too good to be true...

The camera arrived today.  First, it wouldn't lock onto anything with any of my lenses, it just hunted around.  Then while test firing it without film, it started reporting ERR in the viewfinder and not closing the shutter.  A 2nd press would cause the shutter to close.  I opened the back and the lower pane of the shutter was distorted out out of position.

Seller not only agreed to fully refund my money (including shipping), he's sending me a prepaid mailer via email.  Couldn't ask for a better return policy for an Internet purchase.  I'm just bummed because I was looking forward to this camera.

Chris

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2008, 09:33:19 PM »
The prices are more than you paid, but have you looked at KEH?  I have had good results and they underestimate their conditions in my limited experiences with them.

Here are the F100 that a search turned up:

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductList.aspx?Mode=searchproducts&item=0&ActivateTOC2=false&ID=&Size=&BC=NA&BCC=1&CC=2&CCC=1&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=&KW=f100

There is also one at your price at a Phoenix shop I where I picked up my Leica IIIf.  This place is incredible!

http://www.ritzcam.com/catalog/index.php?category_id=760

« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 09:38:10 PM by Big Hairy Bee »

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2008, 09:50:55 PM »
KEH was my original plan until I found this other one. 

Between the time I ordered the original and today, other expenses have come up, so I'll be putting the camera purchase on hold for a few weeks.

Chris