Author Topic: Scorpion Drama  (Read 12892 times)

Phyphor

• friend
Re: Scorpion Drama
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 05:31:08 PM »
Scorpions, eh? I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

This man speaketh truth....
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2008, 05:34:21 PM »
If I ever see a scorpion like that, I'm going and getting out the #$%! Taurus Judge.

I thought palmetto bugs (roaches that FLY IN YOUR FACE in toolsheds) were bad.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2008, 06:19:53 PM »
When I was about 12, I got hit on the tip of one finger by one of those. It was in South-Central Louisiana on our Summer camp. I kicked the firewood pile to run off any critters like dad taught me and then reached down for a handful of firewood. Little b*****d stung me right on the fingertip of my "butter finger"! Hurt like the dickens and I just KNEW I was gonna die! (Watched way too many spooky movies)

I tried to stay calm as I knew that would keep my pulse rate down and buy me some time before the poison got me and I went off to get dad. Dad calmed me down and explained that it wouldn't kill me and chewed up some cigarette tobacco and put it on the stung area and told me that would draw out the poison.

Hurt pretty bad but I was fine in no time and I have been REAL careful anywhere that scorpions may be! I shake the sheets and knock out my boots before I put them on.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

crt360

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2008, 06:51:18 PM »

I shake the sheets and knock out my boots before I put them on.

I do the same.  I also shake out any clothes before I put it on, especially if it was in a basket on the floor or in a drawer.

If I ever see a scorpion like that, I'm going and getting out the #$%! Taurus Judge.

:lol: :lol:
For entertainment purposes only.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2008, 07:04:28 PM »
I used a PRC-77 radio as a pillow one time.  It was part of a pile of PRCs on backpack frames.  We were in Austrialia, somewhere in the bush in Queensland IIEC, playing at being field Marines. 
Got up the next morning, took care of the morning ablutions, and started picking up the radios to put in the jeep trailer.
I've never seen such an interesting and varied collection of scorpions in my life, before or since, as was beneath all those radios.
They also have scorpions in Hawaii.  I found that out by "accident".

Edited to add:
Come to think of it, I lived in the Phoenix area from '81 to '87. IIRC, I saw only one scorpion that entire time.  That was wierd because I was alway kicking over rocks and such around the yard.
Lots and lots of black widows made my acquaintance, though.

I've never seen a scorpion here in Oregon.  Don't know if we have them.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 07:14:44 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2008, 08:00:54 PM »
One more scorpion tale: My wife was running a concession stand at a dirt track just outside Shreveport, LA and I was helping out. I was stirring the nacho Cheese sauce and as I pulled out the ladle, I saw a huge scorpion in it! It had fallen into the cheese from who-knows-where!

Yes, I did pour the whole batch out!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
I've never seen a scorpion here in Oregon.  Don't know if we have them.

I'm pretty sure we have them in the desert regions of the state, i.e. south eastern Oregon.  I don't think there are any in Western Oregon.  At least, I've never run into any there, even on my grandparent's farm.  Too cold for them, I think.

I ran into plenty of them when I was growing up in Northern Nevada.  No AZ bark scorpions there, though.  Never been stung either.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2008, 08:52:19 PM »
I literally hit a wasp in midair with it, once, and it just DROPPED.
Brake or carb cleaner will do the same cheaper IME  =)
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2008, 09:18:31 PM »
House is now sprayed.  Yick, I don't ever want another one in my bed again.  Creepy.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2008, 01:09:14 AM »
Perimeter?

You gotta get yer fire zone done...

Blog under construction

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2008, 01:54:10 AM »
Brake or carb cleaner will do the same cheaper IME  =)

Add a lighter for twice the fun!
Look, tiny text!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2008, 09:02:08 AM »

Apparently, in your country they only grow to be 4 centimeters big.

In Israel they grow to three inches. And STILL FLY.

OH GOD I HATE THE BASTARDS.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2008, 09:21:19 AM »
Apparently, in your country they only grow to be 4 centimeters big.

In Israel they grow to three inches. And STILL FLY.

OH GOD I HATE THE BASTARDS.

Ummmm.....no. The palmetto bugs in S. Florida were HUGE.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2008, 09:24:56 AM »
Ummmm.....no. The palmetto bugs in S. Florida were HUGE.

*shudders* I was going by the wiki.

What do you use for palmetto bug prevention?

I hose everything down with the long-term Sano products.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2008, 09:52:34 AM »
Boy....

If I lived in Scorpion territory, I think I'd have to outfit a couple of Airsoft guns with a laser and a UV LED flashlight...

I'd be Hicks, and Mrs. Dual could play Ripley...
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2008, 10:16:48 AM »
When I was in the Marines I spent a few lovely months in the field at 29 Palms, California.......
Scorpions and field mice and big spiders all in the same place.  A GP tent is very porous...they happily crawl in and find the warmest place.  Nothing like being completely sealed up in a mummy bag and having a scorpion on your nose to really freak you out.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2008, 01:06:15 PM »
When I was in the Marines I spent a few lovely months in the field at 29 Palms, California.......
Scorpions and field mice and big spiders all in the same place.  A GP tent is very porous...they happily crawl in and find the warmest place.  Nothing like being completely sealed up in a mummy bag and having a scorpion on your nose to really freak you out.

Ah, so you missed the Mexican Beaded Lizards and the rattlesnakes, then?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2008, 01:15:15 PM »
Ah, so you missed the Mexican Beaded Lizards and the rattlesnakes, then?

No, we had those. 
Our techs caught a pair of the round tail ground squirrels.  They threw in a very big lizard, and it turned out that the ground squirrels are omnivores.....it was like two zombie animals.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2008, 01:23:59 PM »
The first (and only) rattlesnake I ever ate was at Stumps.  An M60 had quite fortuitously run over just the head of the snake, leaving the rest in good shape.  We had a Sergeant from Montana that wanted a new hat band, plus he knew how to cook rattlesnake on a spit.
Good stuff.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2008, 01:34:11 PM »
We actually did a desert survival class when I was in Yuma.  It was three days long, and we ate a few snakes. 
JD

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2008, 01:41:11 PM »
we ate a few snakes. 

Snake is good eats.

Chris

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2008, 01:44:01 PM »
. . . ground squirrels are omnivores . . .

Hey, a squirrel is just a rat with better PR.

=D

Scorpions?  Yup.  Lived in Goodyear for a while (Estrella Mtn).  Damned things all over the place.  We have three cats.  We were jawin' with neighbors, and one said, "you should keep cats, they'll deal with the scorpions."

We thought, "yeah, old wives tale."

One morning I'm gettin' up to feed the kittehs, and I hear the scrabbling noise in the hall.

Cat had cornered a little 4-inch example of the species and was PLAYING with it!

No harm came to the cat.  The scorpion didn't do so well.

Cat was upset when I took the scorpion pieces away from her.

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2008, 01:54:54 PM »
I can haz skorpeeunbergr?

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2008, 03:07:34 PM »
*shudders* I was going by the wiki.

What do you use for palmetto bug prevention?

I hose everything down with the long-term Sano products.

Well, they didn't come in the house if you kept your house clean and didn't have anything lying down for them to eat, and most people had yearly perimeter and crawlspace treatments to prevent them.

Toolsheds, though, or just when you bumped into vegetation outside...

Florida, being a tropical place, even the soil is alive. It's moist, and any shovelful will have stuff creeping out of it.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2008, 03:38:53 PM »

I spent my whole enlistment there, as a grunt. On field ops we just layed a closed cell foam pad down and slept on it.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.