Author Topic: What it will take . . .  (Read 3921 times)

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
What it will take . . .
« on: October 10, 2005, 05:03:02 AM »
The Indianapolis Colts defeated San Fransissyco Sunday, 28 to 3, despite the team's attempt to give El Tejon a heart attack (3 turnovers, 3!!!).  The Colts now stand at 5-0 and have yet to receive any national media attention.

Started thinking yesterday what it would take for the national media to recognize the Colts.  Perhaps . . .

1.  Quarterback Peyton Manning moonlights at Eli Lilly labs and find cures for cancer, heart disease and toenail fungus and wins 6 consecutive Superbowls.  National Media pays attention only after 6th Superbowl win as it is busy babbling about Giants, Redskins or other hypermarket teams.

2.  Wide Receiver Marvin Harrison runs around the world to reverse time to save New Orleans.

3.  Colts linebacker Gary Brackett tackles would-be assassin of ESPN staff.  ESPN reports story as "Gary Brackett, a linebacker from the Midwest, who could have been a Giant or Redskin, assaulted a guest of ESPN; Peyton Manning threw no touchdowns during the assault."

Every Colts victory is a dagger to the heart of the media!  GO COLTS!
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Stickjockey

• friend
What it will take . . .
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 07:13:26 AM »
Colts fan, are we?
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
What it will take . . .
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 07:48:50 AM »
Started thinking yesterday what it would take for the national media to recognize the Colts.
One of the players would have to get arrested. Cheesy

Reporting on sports is just like politics. They pick their darling story, and then everybody reports on it endlessly. This years darling appears to be the Bengals.

GO COLTS! +1

And while we're on the subject, don't you agree that Tim McGraw's halftime thing on MNF is just a cheap ripoff of Duke Tomatoe's "What the *#!! goin' on in the NFL" from Bob and Tom?

El Tejon

• friend
What it will take . . .
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 09:27:05 AM »
Somebody steal a song or skit from "Bob and Tom"?  No, it can't be!  Of course, Howie Stern, among many others, owes his career to Bob and Tom.

Remember Tom telling the story about the Dean and Jerry song "Blow me--a kiss"?  About how the entire urban myth was created over the song about how Dean Martin wrote it in the '50s when it was actually Tom Griswold and Ricky Rydell.  

Yeah, they steal from "Bob and Tom" and then ignore them.  Just like the Colts.

GO COLTS!
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
What it will take . . .
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 09:29:44 AM »
You had me scared. The last time I heard, "What will it take..." it was followed by, "to put you in the seat of this fine automobile today?"

shocked
Avoid cliches like the plague!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
What it will take . . .
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 09:40:21 AM »
Hell to freeze over!
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
What it will take . . .
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 02:07:00 PM »
The Colts?Huh?  Aren't they some kind of sports team?

Ah, nevermind... what are the Dolphins doing?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

...has left the building.

What it will take . . .
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 02:19:38 PM »
Quote from: Fly320s
The Colts?Huh?  Aren't they some kind of sports team?

Ah, nevermind... what are the Dolphins doing?
I'm sorry, you must not have read the obituary...the Dolphins passed away after the 1999 season.

garrettwc

• friend
What it will take . . .
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 06:50:52 PM »
El Tejon, there a lot of guys, not just Stern who owe Bob and Tom. Remember a little known comic named Tim Allen mentioning on the show that he had an idea for a TV show about a Home Improvement guy.

Oh and to keep this thread on topic, GO COLTS!

LOL Daniel. I think they were on life support for a few years before that. And this from a big Marino fan.

client32

• friend
What it will take . . .
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 05:29:41 AM »
They will have to win a superbowl.  How many years now have they been a good team?  How many years have they lost in the playoffs?

My thought is that everyone knows they are good, but won't make it to the big game.  They have been good for a while and continue to fall short.  It is the same thing year in year out.  i.e. not interesting.  After they get to the superbowl and are picked to win by 10 points, it might be different.

And on a side note: GO COWBOYS!!
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
What it will take . . .
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 06:01:58 AM »
I thought they were getting national attention.

LOTS of speculation about the Kenny Chesney/Renee Zelwegger situation and how Peyton Manning figures into it...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

El Tejon

• friend
What it will take . . .
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2005, 10:03:14 AM »
The Dolphins?  The Cowboys?  Oh, great, now I have to face Indianapolis and say my "Hail, Peytons."

Peyton and Renee?  Whoa, had not heard that.  Like her in that movie "The Bachelor" but she always plays such crybaby characters, turn off to me.

Iain

• friend
What it will take . . .
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 11:29:16 AM »
Well, there's a whole new team I'd never heard of. I'll keep an eye out during one of the half hour round-up shows I catch every few months and let you know what I think.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
What it will take . . .
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005, 11:40:53 AM »
"Peyton and Renee?  Whoa, had not heard that."

Uh, no...

Think again.

Peyton and Kenny.

That's one of the many rumors that have been flying around based on Renee asking for an annulment based on "fraud" as was stated in the papers she filed.

Personally, I don't buy it. But a lot of people are. It's even made some news/talk/sports shows...

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Lankhof/2005/10/01/1244018.html
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Old Dog

What it will take . . .
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 01:39:22 PM »
What would it take?  How 'bout being able to beat the Patriots ... in Foxboro ...
No whining about your team ... try being a lifelong Lions fan.
-- Will

garrettwc

• friend
What it will take . . .
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2005, 05:35:24 PM »
What would it take?  How 'bout being able to beat the Patriots ... in Foxboro ...
Sad, but probably true. Especially in the post season.

I'm a Colts fan. My teenage son is a Pats fan. Sundays when they play each other gets real interesting.Cheesy

El Tejon

• friend
What it will take . . .
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2005, 03:27:55 AM »
Beat the Pats?  Nonsense.  It's not about winning, just look at all the press the media gives the Redskins and the Giants!

Even if Peyton wins 6 Superbowls in a row, he won't receive the press he deserves until he cures cancer as well.

Peyton the Poofter?  This is football, not soccer.  Did not know they made them that way down there.  Who knew!

As long as he connects on the field, crushing and destroying our enemies in the media, I could care less what he does in the showers or on Talbott Street.  Probably just a jealous rumor anywho.

MaterDei

• friend
What it will take . . .
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2005, 04:52:21 AM »
So, who is the best QB in Colts history.  Johnny U or Peyton M?

Silver Bullet

• friend
What it will take . . .
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2005, 06:40:56 AM »
Well, this fella thinks they're the best team right now
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AvLBXE7Irl_b_4cM2CTo6kdDubYF?slug=cr-rankings101105&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
with the caveat that
The defense has held opponents to 5.8 points per game. But their first five opponents have a combined record of 9-14, so there will be plenty of skeptics until the Colts face New England in Week 9.
What kind of "national media attention" are you hoping for ?

garrettwc

• friend
What it will take . . .
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2005, 07:25:00 PM »
86 and counting!! Another record night for the 6-0 Colts.

Booyah!!!

Schuey2002

• friend
What it will take . . .
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2005, 09:43:01 PM »
>>"Started thinking yesterday what it would take for the national media to recognize the Colts."

Peyton and Mr. Harrison passed Young/Rice for #1 all-time in TD's from one QB to one receiver. So that should help them garner a little more national media coverage.. I did say "little", didn't I?  Smiley