Author Topic: Router Help - Linksys WRT54GL  (Read 6140 times)

Regolith

• friend
Router Help - Linksys WRT54GL
« on: October 31, 2008, 12:02:17 AM »
Ok....I got this router to help expand my home network. Ordered it from newegg  on monday and it got to my door this afternoon.

Anyway, I open it up and try to just hook it up out of the box, and nothing happened.  So I figure that just maybe I should try and follow the installation instructions.  So I do that and then I get to the part where the setup program checks to see if it can communicate with the router.  About halfway through, it comes up with an error saying it can't locate the router, and I should check to see if my ethernet adapter is working.

All of the lights on the router indicate that everything is hooked up correctly, and my computer evidently sees that SOMETHING is there because it doesn't give me a "network cable is unplugged" message.  My computer's ethernet port appears to be working fine (otherwise I wouldn't have been able to write this post). And so I am seriously confused, because there is nothing else indicating what could be wrong. 

Anyone have any idea of what could be going wrong?

Here are some quick specs of the system I'm running, including details on the network, if it helps:

Computer is a custom built PC running Windows XP SP3
Current network is a Westell DSL modem model number C90-610015-06 that was supplied by Verizon.  This is then hooked to a Belkin 5 port hub, which all of the computers are hooked to.

Desired network would be the modem being connected to the router, then the router being connected to my computer.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
Re: Router Help - Linksys WRT54GL
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 12:40:06 AM »
Is your network adapter set to Automatic IP or Manual IP? If it's on manual that may cause problems. Also try using a different cable if you have one.
Look, tiny text!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 01:01:37 AM »
Is your network adapter set to Automatic IP or Manual IP? If it's on manual that may cause problems. Also try using a different cable if you have one.

It is set to automatic IP, and I've tried two different cables, including the one it came with.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 01:26:57 AM »
There's a lot to troubleshoot, and a lot to tweak.

It should go DSL Modem directly into the WAN port of Linksys WRT54GL, ideally.  Leave the 5-port hub for downstream of the router, since the router will be managing traffic in a considerably smarter and more secure fashion than a simple hub ever could.

The DSL modem may not recognize the router and synchronize IP ranges yet, so a power cycling of the DSL modem with the router turned on and connected may help.

Look at the activity LED of the router when it's on and the DSL modem is up and running.  There's so much traffic on DSL and cable modem networks that those activity lights are usually blinking like a disco strobe from all the infected computers out there, etc.  If your Linksys router is seeing a good signal from the DSL modem, the WAN activity light should match those same ones on the DSL modem.

Even if the Linksys isn't talking to the DSL modem, plugging your computer into the Linksys via one of the 4 LAN ports should let you log into the internal web page, and see what's going on.  Take a look, using the Linksys default IP address and account/password in the manual. 

Let us know how it goes.  The WRT54GL variant is a very popular and versatile router.  Once you get it running, you can upgrade the internal firmware to enjoy some serious capabilities.  =D

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 02:04:19 AM »
Major thing you need to look for with routers is horsepower - it's gotta be able to swing a large bit... Oh, and variable speed, with good torque. Make sure the handles are nice and ergonomic, with the on/off button easily accessible.

Helps if they don't have a lot of runout too.

Blog under construction

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 02:05:10 AM »
Bogie, what is that you're drinking tonight?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 02:10:45 AM »
Helps to have a good Jasper jig if you're planning to be using a spiral upcut bit with your router to cut holes for speakers...

I am now to some Sunnyland Slim...
Blog under construction

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 02:13:02 AM »
Even if the Linksys isn't talking to the DSL modem, plugging your computer into the Linksys via one of the 4 LAN ports should let you log into the internal web page, and see what's going on.  Take a look, using the Linksys default IP address and account/password in the manual. 

Yeah...I tried that.  Didn't work.  Nothing came up.

I'll try it again, though.  Maybe I had a digit off on the IP address...

Man....hope I didn't get a lemon.  Returning things is such a pain in the butt.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 02:17:19 AM »
192.168.1.1 is the default address.  You might need to press the little recessed reset button on the back to get everything back to factory defaults.  Then try getting into the web page using the default address.
If you get in, try setting up the router manually, rather than using the software on the CD.  Sometimes it can hose things.

Newegg is really good on RMAs, so don't sweat it if you have to return it.  You can get an RMA online.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 02:19:12 AM »
Worked this time.  =D

I think my firewall was preventing my computer from accessing it. 

Just had to tell it to allow the connection. 

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 02:20:34 AM »
You also have different -times- you can press the reset button... Which do differunt levels of reset...

Sigh.

Blog under construction

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 02:21:06 AM »
That happens.  At least now you have another firewall in the router.  NAT along with SPI on that model if I am not mistaken.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 02:22:04 AM »
How much are you into it?

The WRT54GL versions aren't too shabby, in the Tomato/DD-WRT scheme of things...

(Oops, see you got it working - nevermind!)

The hardware firewall inside the WRT-54GL is by far better than the built-in Windows XP firewall. 

You can, of course, use both at the same time, but NAT and the Linux OS inside the Linksys do the lion's share of the security work.

See where my WRT-54G is hidden in the stack?   =D

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 02:30:11 AM by Gewehr98 »

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 02:50:35 AM »
I don't use window's firewall.  I've always used a third party/free program like Zone Alarm or COMODO.

Now I can't get the internet to work.  I think it may be because my modem is also a router (albeit an incredibly crappy one), and is on the same IP address as the linksys.  Should I change my modem's IP? 

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 03:17:45 AM »
One router downstream from another router is bad juju, without a lot of gyrations on the part of the sysadmin. 

Can the DSL modem/router have the router half disabled through the interface to just do a pass-through of the broadband signal?

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 03:30:03 AM »
One router downstream from another router is bad juju, without a lot of gyrations on the part of the sysadmin. 

Can the DSL modem/router have the router half disabled through the interface to just do a pass-through of the broadband signal?

Not sure....

Exactly which features do I need to disable to do that?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 03:38:39 AM »
Find out the model and manufacture of the DSL modem/router combination device.

I'm sure there's an online manual out there in Adobe .pdf format.

Somewhere in that manual, or perhaps in the DSL modem/router's internal webpage, there will be menu pages similar to the configuration pages of the Linksys WRT-54GL router.

I'll bet dollars to donuts that there's a toggle or two in there that'll disable the router function, and allow straight pass-through of the broadband signal out to the LAN port of that device.

Find the device manufacturer and model number, I'll drill around and see if I can find the manual and specific settings - my Ambien hasn't kicked in just yet, anyway.   =D

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 03:44:07 AM »
Gewehr, we really gotta talk...

Let's look at this. You have EVERYTHING labeled... I'm guessing you're probably the only guy who touches it.

Why?

You know what everything is. You know where everything is. You know how it's plugged together. You even know where the "master switch" is...

I bow to the ubergeek.

Blog under construction

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 03:44:21 AM »
Find out the model and manufacture of the DSL modem/router combination device.

I'm sure there's an online manual out there in Adobe .pdf format.

Somewhere in that manual, or perhaps in the DSL modem/router's internal webpage, there will be menu pages similar to the configuration pages of the Linksys WRT-54GL router.

I'll bet dollars to donuts that there's a toggle or two in there that'll disable the router function, and allow straight pass-through of the broadband signal out to the LAN port of that device.

Find the device manufacturer and model number, I'll drill around and see if I can find the manual and specific settings - my Ambien hasn't kicked in just yet, anyway.   =D

It's a Westell Model Number C90-610015-06

Software Version:         VER:03.00.71
Software Model:         NAT Combo
Description:                WireSpeed Dual Connect
Boot Loader:               VER:03.00.71

Edit:  Ok, after much googling, I seem to have found something that looks like it might be what we're looking for: http://members.verizon.net/~res08lyg/6100.htm

Will those instructions work? 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 04:09:23 AM by Regolith »

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 04:09:12 AM »
Bogie,

I know the Comm Rack is labeled - ad nauseam.

I did that so the 4 non-geeks in the house could do some remedial fixes when I'm not home. It may look like overkill, but I designed the rack to do a lot of stuff for a family of 4, and be both compact and self-explanatory in the process.

There are no less than 6 computers tied into that network, plus 3 SnapServers, the Vonage VOIP phone system, a Linksys Wireless Media server feeding the tube amp and surround system in the living room, a pair of outdoor surveillance cameras running ethernet feeds to any computer in the house that wants to open a browser window and look outside, 5 ethernet laser printers, a 52" vinyl cutter in the garage, and an X-Box 360 thrown in for good measure.  Eventually, I'm going to add a SlingBox to the mix, too.

That little Network Power Distribution Panel makes life a lot easier when it comes time to troubleshoot a given problem. I can step them through whatever problem they're experiencing, and if it's the Vonage or cable modem, I call home using my cellphone and my wife's cellphone to orchestrate the fixes.

If our Charter 10Mbps service goes wonky because somebody hit a telephone pole upstream, they can power cycle just the cable modem and check the activity lights for throughput.

If Charter forces the cable modem to accept a new IP address, then they can power cycle the router to re-sync with that new IP address.

If the SnapServer in the pic isn't dishing up 80gigs of MP3 files and my FTP stuff, they can power cycle just that component and watch the diagnostic light show as it reboots and comes back online.

If the Vonage phone system is giving reduced voice quality, they can power cycle the Motorola voice box and see if that cleans things up.

The little D-Link DI-102 Packet Optimizer on the far right above the cable modem is pretty much bulletproof, but they can see what traffic is moving through it between the router and cable modem, especially when somebody's on the phone at the same time that somebody else is downloading a WarCrack patch, etc. 

The far right toggle on the Network Power Distribution Panel controls a small squirrel-cage blower that cools off the router/wireless booster/8-port switch stack and nearby SnapServer. 

If the power goes out for more than a couple hours and drains that little UPS unit on the right side, then they can do a sequential reboot of all the components.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 04:16:10 AM »
Can I come live with you?

Really, I don't eat much.

Blog under construction

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008, 04:17:40 AM »
There are no less than 6 computers tied into that network, plus 3 SnapServers, the Vonage VOIP phone system, a Linksys Wireless Media server feeding the tube amp and surround system in the living room, a pair of outdoor surveillance cameras running ethernet feeds to any computer in the house that wants to open a browser window and look outside, 5 ethernet laser printers, a 52" vinyl cutter in the garage, and an X-Box 360 thrown in for good measure.  Eventually, I'm going to add a SlingBox to the mix, too.

:O

I wish my network were that impressive.  I just want to be able to run 3-4 computers and an occasional XBox 360 from opposite ends of the apartment... :laugh:

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2008, 04:18:10 AM »
Yeah, that Bridge Mode looks like it might do the trick...

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2008, 04:19:29 AM »
Yeah, that Bridge Mode looks like it might do the trick...

Allright....going to try it now. 

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2008, 05:06:20 AM »
For some reason the dang thing isn't saving the bridge setting.  It keeps changing itself back to "routed bridge."   :mad:

Anyway, it's getting late and I've got class at 10:00 in the morning.  I think I'm going to go ahead and call it a night.

Thanks for all the help so far.  =)