Author Topic: Civil unrest?  (Read 17066 times)

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
Re: Civil unrest?
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2008, 12:40:51 PM »
I'm not remotely an alarmist.  I'm not remotely a survivalist.  I'm intentionally less than cautious about daily risks because I've made the assessment about what I want to worry about, and random violence isn't usually on the list.

But the blank hostility, the vandalizing political signs (including having our McCain-Palin sticker ripped off our car the other night), the talk of taking to the streets, have me concerned.

East Lansing is famous for its riots.  Generally, they follow big football games and are confined to East Lansing.  East Lansing is pretty solidly Dem.  Lansing is very mixed, in every way, including politically.  Some of our neighbors have become openly hostile to us.

I am not kidding at all, several of my profs and colleagues have mentioned being ready to take to the streets.

Good time for an evening out of town?  Head up to a smaller, less volatile town a ways off?  Stay home and make sure firearms are in their proper, handy places?  Get over it, and realize that talk is cheap and everything will be ok, at least in the immediate sense? 

I don't think MSU has had any politically related riots in quite some time, though I am sure it is possible.  You have had professors saying they were going to take it to the street?  What department are they in?
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2008, 01:01:39 PM »
I live in quiet, low-crime area outside of Austin . . . yes, it's the most liberal city in Texas, so much so that the rest of the state refers to it as "Moscow on the Colorado."

I don't envision any major problems regardless of the election's outcome, but any civil unrest would likely be confined to downtown, the entertainment district (Sixth Street, if you know the city) and around the University. Broken windows, trash cans set on fire, that sort of thing.

If it were to spill into the neighborhoods, well, this is still Texas, and rioting in a residential area to the degree that residents felt threatened would likely bring a response from some of the residents that the rioters would not appreciate . . .

Those that survived, at least.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Zed

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2008, 07:04:10 PM »
If I had a way to iwb carry a Glock 22 while wearing a toolbelt I would carry 24/7 for the next few months.

since that is unfeasible at best I'll have to wait till I can get a PF9 and an ankle holster... =(
Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you would have peace, prepare for war.)

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2008, 07:05:35 PM »
They are now mentioning a possibility that Obama could win the popular vote, and McCain carry the electoral college.

There WILL be riots if that happens, bet on it.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2008, 08:30:22 PM »
They are now mentioning a possibility that Obama could win the popular vote, and McCain carry the electoral college.

There WILL be riots if that happens, bet on it.

Governing without the "mandate" and his party out of power in the legislature would make McCain a lame duck for four years.

OTOH, having the bright shiny-eyed true believers having their noses rubbed in the fact we are still a Republic, might be worth a few burned buildings, missing TV's, and broken windows...
I promise not to duck.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
North Idaho
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2008, 08:53:42 PM »
We do not anticipate pro-Obama rioting.

At all.

Nonetheless, there will be a carbine handy.

And other stuff.

Now, on the other hand, I work in Spokane.  That's gonna be more different.  If it looks too stupid, I will simply declare a sick day.

And stay home.

In North Idaho.

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2008, 09:20:50 PM »
Shotgun in the truck tomorrow instead of the usual .22 rifle.  Can't hurt to be cautious.

anygunanywhere

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2008, 09:33:44 PM »
3 tactical shotguns, two EBR's with 30 rounders, my Springfield Armory 1911A1 with 10 round Wilson Combat mags, my Kimber CDP with 7 round Wilson Combat,  and an extra S&W 642 and speed loaders for Mrs. Anygun to accompany her existing 642.

Bring it.

Anygunanywhere

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2008, 09:43:35 PM »
This thread is getting silly. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2008, 09:45:56 PM »
This thread is getting silly. 

Concur.  While it doesn't hurt to be prepared, some of this is just overblown.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2008, 09:47:34 PM »
I'll have a handgun on my belt, and a long gun ready to go in the bedroom.  Of course, this is what I have all the time, my basic every-day defensive setup.  I see no benefit to doing more than that at this time.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2008, 09:53:44 PM »
Being prepared is fine.  I wish I could afford to do a little more.  As it is, I'm topping off all the guns I have here.  And I might put Luke's SKS in the truck.  (His guns live at my house.)

It's just a little funny to see so many people lay out how many of which kinds of guns, and how many magazines and rounds, and where they're putting them, and so on and so forth.  :P

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2008, 10:10:11 PM »
If I had a way to iwb carry a Glock 22 while wearing a toolbelt I would carry 24/7 for the next few months.

since that is unfeasible at best I'll have to wait till I can get a PF9 and an ankle holster... =(

SmartCarry.........
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2008, 10:14:03 PM »
I'll join the "OTT" fray

I'll be packing a 1911 for the remainder of the week, instead of ,my usual airweight S&W.  never can be too careful, and a .45 with 24 potential rnds including reloads just does something to ease the mind.

That, and I'll be waking up my M4's, and letting them stay out with the usual HD 870's for the week, should things go pear shaped.

Zed

« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2008, 10:32:22 PM »
SmartCarry.........

Dosn't work with a Tool Belt
Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you would have peace, prepare for war.)

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2008, 10:38:26 PM »
All I've got is my AK and 5 mags and 120 rounds of ammo, :(, stored in my car, because thats where it has been sitting for a while not because I think there could be a riot. I'll be at work from 5-9 tomorrow. Highly doubt there would be one here anyways.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2008, 10:48:32 PM »
Hooray for me! I get to go to Salem for training tomorrow! At least I'll be home shortly after dark.
Hi.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2008, 10:52:13 PM »
It's just a little funny to see so many people lay out how many of which kinds of guns, and how many magazines and rounds, and where they're putting them, and so on and so forth. 
That is rather amusing.  Being ready is good.  Advertising is perhaps unwise.  I know, we're all relatively anonymous, and we take a defensive posture rather than starting trouble.  Still, walk softly.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2008, 10:57:21 PM »
SmartCarry.........

Dosn't work with a Tool Belt

...esp. if a tool belt is all you're wearing....  :O

What about a belly-band-style holster?...or a Kangaroo Holster?...

http://www.gunblast.com/Kangaroo.htm
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2008, 11:26:41 PM »
That is rather amusing.  Being ready is good.  Advertising is perhaps unwise.

I'm more amused by the macho posturing.   :lol:

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2008, 11:29:16 PM »
Being prepared is fine.  I wish I could afford to do a little more.  As it is, I'm topping off all the guns I have here.  And I might put Luke's SKS in the truck.  (His guns live at my house.)

It's just a little funny to see so many people lay out how many of which kinds of guns, and how many magazines and rounds, and where they're putting them, and so on and so forth.  :P

I have things. They do stuff.

I do not get that specific about them in this sort of context on a public forum. :)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2008, 11:36:54 PM »
I'll have my .45, which is always with me. And my .357 snubby. And my .32 ankle gun.

For close quarters should anyone breach the front door, I'll have my 12 gauge.

If the action's on the street in front of my house here in the 'burbs, I'll have my AR with an EOTech 553 and night vision.

Just to be safe, though, I'll perch my Remington 700 .308 with 6.5x20x50 Leupold at an upstairs window pointed toward the main drag two blocks away. If anyone so much as shouts "Oba...," I'll drop him before he even hears the shot. If it's a counter-sniper, I'll nail him right through his scope.

I might just give my dog my WWI trench knife. His eyesight is gone, but he's still pretty spunky for an old terrier.

Ya just can't be too careful these days.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2008, 11:51:28 PM »
I'm pretty jealous.  The only adequate self defense gun I had here was an 870 that was my dad's and he just took it back for hunting season.
Looks like I'll be fighting off the horde with a single barrel shotgun.  At least I have frack loads of target shells I loaded, and a few buckshot.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2008, 11:58:33 PM »
I don't think MSU has had any politically related riots in quite some time, though I am sure it is possible. 

No, they haven't.  But if you can burn and loot because of a football match, probably you can burn and loot because of an election.

You have had professors saying they were going to take it to the street?  What department are they in?

Not at State.   

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2008, 12:36:09 AM »
I might just give my dog my WWI trench knife. His eyesight is gone, but he's still pretty spunky for an old terrier.
I'm giving my 3" Gerber folder to my oldest male cat, Guido.  His little brother, Vincent, gets the Buck Vanguard, since Vinnie is larger framed.  I think Shadow, the female, can summon Ramuh, so she's pretty well set (I'm actually kinda serious about that).  Zelda, the GSD/Akita has her choice of the battleaxe, or this badass ninja/samurai sword with the snake wrapped around the handle that I got at a gunshow.  I figured either one is appropriate given her lineage.  She's like kawaii-uber-awesome being German AND Japanese.  Poodles surrender when they see her.

The Pug, of course, is always armed with her... um... "chemical weapon," but I'll have a spike bayonet that I got off my friend's dad's Chinese SKS he brought back from 'nam if she wants it.

Wow, that was fun.