Author Topic: Discovery Channel supports terrorists!  (Read 9677 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Discovery Channel supports terrorists!
« on: November 03, 2008, 05:56:18 AM »
Okay, another "What the hell?!" moment.

Discovery's Animal Planet channel just ran a commercial for a new "reality" series they're going to have...on the Sea Shepherd, a terrorist ship that attacks Japanese whalers and other vessels, even going so far as to throw bottles of acid and chemicals onto their decks. (They even show them doing that in the trailer!) By all rights, it should be blown out of the water by a missile.

Hopefully, one of the "shows" will be a Japanese SDF F-16 incoming, then static, and then an explanation that that's all they recovered from the floating camera.

I mean, seriously. What the hell are they going to do next? A show embedded with Al-Qaeda terrorists on a strike against coalition forces? Anything for ratings? 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 06:04:35 AM by Manedwolf »

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Discovery Channel supports terrorists!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 06:32:36 AM »
When I first saw the promos, my first thought was "WTF??!!".....

....then I thought "What else could I expect from a channel owned by NBC?"....

Maybe their competitor, The Military Channel, will do a live special on French maritime special operations in the area of this "protest ship"... ;)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 08:26:09 AM »
One word.

Exocet.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 08:44:28 AM »
One word.

Exocet.

You're more serious than you think.

Here's the side of their ship.

Their large ship is painted black, and definitely could be said to be mistaken for a North Korean hostile vessel by the Japanese coast guard, I think.

Why is any sponsor okay with Discovery helping violent eco-terrorists? Is anyone contacting sponsors yet so they'll hopefully pull their products?

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 11:11:56 AM »
I saw the promo a couple weeks ago. My very first thought when I watched the boarders on the whaling ship was "Pirates! Man the weapons!" The thought of Ma Deuce opening up on the bastages brought a smile to my face.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 11:20:36 AM »
I read somewhere, perhaps on Wiki, so take it with a grain of salt, that they actually have a cannon onboard. According to the wiki article, they had fired it above some whaler, can't remember from which nation. I want to see them sunk as well. Hell, I want to see them keelhauled! :mad:
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 11:23:07 AM »
I read somewhere, perhaps on Wiki, so take it with a grain of salt, that they actually have a cannon onboard. According to the wiki article, they had fired it above some whaler, can't remember from which nation. I want to see them sunk as well. Hell, I want to see them keelhauled! :mad:

It might be the net thrower they use to try to entangle a ship's screw.

Which could kill people in the engine room if that caused the shaft to snap under power.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 11:42:22 AM »
In the attached picture it appears that there's a water cannon on the bow.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 12:14:57 PM »
Yup.  No real weapons, although they used one of their air cannons to good effect with pie filling to repel boarders in one harbor.

Their ramming of the whaler Sierra took some intestinal fortitude.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 12:41:51 PM »
Yup.  No real weapons, although they used one of their air cannons to good effect with pie filling to repel boarders in one harbor.

Their ramming of the whaler Sierra took some intestinal fortitude.

Not familiar with the whackos in question; they actually ram whaling ships to sink them? Doesn't that kill/place in grave danger the men crewing those ships?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 12:56:55 PM »
Not familiar with the whackos in question; they actually ram whaling ships to sink them? Doesn't that kill/place in grave danger the men crewing those ships?
The people on the whalers? You think they actually care?
I say that we take on these folks when we get the APS Pirate Hunting Expedition up and running.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 12:58:34 PM »
But if they're killing innocent people ontape, wouldn't they get arrested? Esp if they are in the territorial waters of the nation the dead people belong to?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 01:19:56 PM »
I'd hope that the FBI uses the entire first season as evidence.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 01:59:17 PM »
All a bunch of hype.

I went to the Sea Shepard sites, and visited other sites that report on their activities.

The captain's a sharp cookie.  He goes after rogue whalers operating illegally in protected waters, vs. those with permissions to hunt.

As a conservationist at heart, I applaud his efforts, even though his methods are unorthodox.

He knows what he's doing, and has avoided being charged with piracy when he exposed certain governments' collusion in the illegal whaling trade.  Note that I said the illegal whaling trade, vs. legitimate sanctioned whaling.

IOW, he's going after poachers, even scuttling a few.

He's accomplished more via harassing illegal whalers than years of UN legislation could ever do.

Nor is he doing it alone.  I did a quick mental tally of his fleet, and his operations budget is by no means a small thing.  He's getting funded, and by many different sources.  One man's "terrorism" appears to be a good business for folks with a cause, and he's making the illegal whalers rock back on their heels as he exposes their actions to the world.  To make an omelette, one must break a few eggs.  He knows what he's doing is dangerous, and even explains why his Jolly Roger flag is flying on that ship.

They're not killing anybody, and I invite anybody here to find documentation to that effect.  They're doing what the respective maritime fishing agencies of the involved sovereign bodies of water are incapable of - monitoring and stopping harvesting of whales outside of proper permissions, and exposing those who do.  It ain't just whales, either.  Our local fisheries on both American coasts are taking a big hit from illegal fishing by other countries, too.  If there were enough money in it, I'm sure somebody would attempt harvesting of Florida manatees for a Japanese consumer with a predilection for that product...     

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 02:01:49 PM »
Then why are their people vowing to sink the legitimate Japanese whale research vessels?

They're terrorists. If you go up to a ship and throw noxious chemicals on their deck, damn right they have every right to shoot you. In fact, several Japanese coast guard officers on a legit Japanese research vessel were injured by one of their attacks, as I recall.

Not killing anybody? The sea is a dangerous place. If you disable someone else's vessel on the high seas for your misguided eco-terrorism, making it unable to make way or maneuver, you are putting human lives in danger over a goddamned anonymous animal.

NOT OKAY!

And my opinion still stands. If one of these hippie cruisers got nailed with an Exocet by some nation considering them hostile, or Japan mistaking them for a PRK missile boat...

...I'd cheer.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 02:09:40 PM by Manedwolf »

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 02:07:24 PM »
Then why are their people vowing to sink the legitimate Japanese whale research vessels?

Because those are not legitimate Japanese "whale research vessels".  They're thinly disguised market fisherman going after a specific target.  They harvest a few whales for "research" and sell them to restaurants for human consumption (not that I have a problem with making use of the meat, but it's obvious what the real motivation is).

Chris

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 02:09:33 PM »
Because those are not legitimate Japanese "whale research vessels".  They're thinly disguised market fisherman going after a specific target.  They harvest a few whales for "research" and sell them to restaurants for human consumption (not that I have a problem with making use of the meat, but it's obvious what the real motivation is).

Chris

Yes, that makes it okay.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 02:09:54 PM »
Portions of the book Cod by Mark Kurlansky highlight what illegal fishing does to fish populations after the legitimate fishing interests start working on ways to conserve what is left of a given fishery. 

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 02:11:49 PM »

Chris

So if they want to fight that, they could use their money to instead wage a PR campaign to get the Japanese to eschew whale meat. Use market forces instead of playing pirate.

But...that sort prefers the rock-throwing "solutions" to the free market ones, don't they.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 02:13:48 PM »
So if they want to fight that, they could use their money to instead wage a PR campaign to get the Japanese to eschew whale meat. Use market forces instead of playing pirate.

But...that sort prefers the rock-throwing "solutions" to the free market ones, don't they.

No, because the Japanese have said they WILL NOT stop these harvests for any reason.  International pressure has not worked.  There are no free market solutions because they are only interested in getting the meat at any cost.

Chris

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 02:14:31 PM »
Let's see what they do.

They can vow all they want to, but I doubt they'd cross that line sans a solid alibi. The friggin' sneaky Japanese may be giving him his alibi.

As Mtnbkr mentioned already, sources claim the Japanese whale research vessels are actually harvesting covertly to offset the loss of revenue via previously-thwarted Japanese commercial whalers.

If Paul Watson sinks a "legitimate" Japanese whale research vessel, then he'll face his crime.

They sink a covert whaler operating illegally under the guise of research, and expose them to the world, then it's business as usual for the Sea Sheperd fleet. 

Paul Watson is very much aware of that, and he works it to his advantage.  They just de-flagged the Japanese whaling support ship for hauling whale meat vs. the oil it was registered to carry.  Sea Sheperd brought that little tidbit to public scrutiny. 

Anybody can now be labeled a terrorist, this thread is ample evidence of that.  Here's Watson's own response to such charges:

http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/news-081030-1.html

Captain Paul Watson:  It's getting to the point that calling anyone a terrorist that someone disagrees with is becoming routine. It does not seem to matter if you are saving whales or running for President of the United States. Sea Shepherd has never injured a single person, we have never been convicted of a felony, we have never been sued, we are not on any no-fly lists nor are we on any international terrorist alert lists. We travel freely under our own passports and we speak openly and always on the record about our activities.

Eco-terrorism is actually the act of terrorizing the environment. Japanese whalers are targeting endangered whales in an established whale sanctuary in violation of a global moratorium on whaling and they are defending their illegal activities with firearms and concussion grenades.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 02:14:52 PM »
MMMMMmmmmm...

Fried cabbage and whale...

Need a lot of cabbage...

And a BIG pan...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 02:15:44 PM »
No, because the Japanese have said they WILL NOT stop these harvests for any reason.  International pressure has not worked.  There are no free market solutions because they are only interested in getting the meat at any cost.

Chris

But the demand is there, that's why they do it. If they could get the Japanese consumers to not want to buy whale meat anymore, there would be no demand.

Sorry, I just see these as the same sort who throw rocks at G8 summits. They can never work in terms of the free market to accomplish their goals, only throw stuff and break things.

Edit: Is that the same "captain" who wears a Navy admiral's coat covered with self-given medals and ribbons, playing dress-up as if he'd actually served anywhere to earn them?

Yeah, that's him. Nice costume there, guy.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 02:19:17 PM by Manedwolf »

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2008, 02:16:13 PM »

Chris

And?

Wait, let me tag a metaphor.

Let's imagine some African nation had re-legalized hunting elephants.

Would it be okay for a random Joe to travel to that nation, against the will of the local government, and start killing poachers?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2008, 02:28:06 PM »
And?

Wait, let me tag a metaphor.

Let's imagine some African nation had re-legalized hunting elephants.

Would it be okay for a random Joe to travel to that nation, against the will of the local government, and start killing poachers?

Fail.

It's not occurring in Japanese waters.  That is, unless Japanese waters extend to the Antarctic: http://www.smh.com.au/news/specials/whale-watch/japanese-whaling-fleet-to-return-tomorrow/2008/04/14/1208025076760.html

But the demand is there, that's why they do it. If they could get the Japanese consumers to not want to buy whale meat anymore, there would be no demand.

Good luck on that.  Consuming whale flesh is considered a cultural activity by them.

Chris