Author Topic: Voting Day, Voting Day!  (Read 6441 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Voting Day, Voting Day!
« on: November 04, 2008, 09:24:57 AM »
Voting Day!  Voting Day!  Voting, Voting, Voting Day!

Yeah.  Voting.  The wife and I are not working this week, so we're going to go out and get a good breakfast.  And then vote!  Yeah!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
Re: Voting Day, Voting Day!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 09:37:57 AM »
Voted absentee last weekend.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 09:40:11 AM »
I've already voted.

My brand new wife as well.

I'm glad to do my civic duty, even if I'm well aware it doesn't make a difference.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 09:41:48 AM »
After waiting in line for over an hour to vote in 2004, I voted early a week and a half ago.

I may swing by on my way to work, just to see how bad the lines are this year.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 09:43:18 AM »
Voted at 7 am this morning. Lines were long, but moved briskly. Took 15 minutes, tops.
Andy

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 09:51:08 AM »
Voted two weeks ago.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 09:54:32 AM »
I voted.  It took an hour and a half.  Missouri is pretty much tied for the presidential election, so it's all the more important to cast my ballot.

Hope it makes a difference.   =)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 10:09:10 AM »
Voted around 9:30.

Neighbors said it was crazy this morning, but when I voted the line was almost non-existent.

At the same time in 2004 I waited nearly 2 hours on line to vote.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 10:14:37 AM »
Voted first day of early voting.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 10:17:37 AM »
My total wait to vote, this morning at 9:00 AM, was 15 seconds, not counting the time it took for the guy with the voter rolls to work out where my last name fell in the alphabetical listing.  (It turns out that 'o' comes after 'k'.  Who woulda thunk?)

It's very nice living in semi-rural Manassas; I'd have waited an hour in line to vote, but it sure is great not having to.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 10:29:32 AM »
My dad's voting after work.

My brother left to vote at 7 AM. He's voting for Chuck Baldwin  :mad: because he can't "in good conscience vote for McCain" because he supports "killing embryos." My brother seems to think voting for what he believes in is more important than his candidate winning. He actually said that!

It doesn't really matter, though, because Obama's going to win our state anyway.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 10:30:47 AM »
It's very nice living in semi-rural Manassas; I'd have waited an hour in line to vote, but it sure is great not having to.

-BP

Hear Hear.

I'm home today because I had to get my car's struts replaced.  I rode my bike from the repair shop to the polling site (5 miles), voted, and then rolled over to the nearby Starbucks to get my free coffee for voting, then home.  Left the house at 9:20 and was back home at 10:20.  Total mileage, 6.4. 

There were no lines and it took me about 5 minutes from the time I entered the parking lot till I was back at my bike. 

BP, did you hear or see any of the Obama lovefest last night?  Get caught in the traffic?  I had to run to the store for milk and to drop off some movies and I couldn't find parking at the Wellington Giant or the nearby Bloom.  Plates from DC and Maryland everywhere! 

Chris

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 10:30:55 AM »
Went to the polls at 6AM today, stood in line for an hour and a half, and it gave me time to think about this inconvenience I was going through... all to vote.  I heard people kvitching about the "cold" (it was an Arizona November morning, maybe 60-65 degrees).  I heard people complaining about the time away from work, or the hour of sleep they lost to wake up early.

And I thought of several thousand men, 233 and a half years ago.

They couldn't vote.  They couldn't peaceably assemble to establish laws for themselves.  They were being systematically disarmed by an occupying army.

They stayed awake that night between April 18th and 19th.  They organized.  They faced the wet, cold New England spring and stood gathered on the Green with muskets in hand.  Barely 70 of them stood off against 900 soldiers at Lexington.

I didn't correct anyone in line, and I didn't give any history lessons, though maybe I should have.

But I did stand my place in line, and I voted.  Because those men 233 and a half years ago wanted that.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 10:43:31 AM »
BP, did you hear or see any of the Obama lovefest last night?  Get caught in the traffic?  I had to run to the store for milk and to drop off some movies and I couldn't find parking at the Wellington Giant or the nearby Bloom.  Plates from DC and Maryland everywhere! 

I didn't; I heard about it enough in advance that I left work early and got home before the insanity began.  Traffic was heavier on southbound 28 than it usually is at 4pm, but not unmanageable.  Some of my friends got caught in the Goat Rodeo Of Love, though, coming across town from the west side to my place at 7; they couldn't get through the Wellington area at all, and had to go around.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 10:46:03 AM »
I didn't hear about it beforehand and was wondering why both I66 and Rt28 were swamped.  It didn't occur to me what was happening till I got on Center St leaving Old Town Manassas.  That street is rarely swamped.

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 10:48:33 AM »
My dad's voting after work.

My brother left to vote at 7 AM. He's voting for Chuck Baldwin  :mad: because he can't "in good conscience vote for McCain" because he supports "killing embryos." My brother seems to think voting for what he believes in is more important than his candidate winning. He actually said that!

Good for him.  I now respect your brother.  If more people voted their real conscious, the two party system would crumble.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 10:51:49 AM »
"real conscious"

As opposed to voting while they're unconscious?

As truly opposed to voting your conscience?

'tard...  :laugh:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

ctdonath

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 10:54:47 AM »
Voted around 7:30am. No line.

Wondered what happened to the kid (16ish) whose dad asked for a Spanish ballot and was told all were in English.
Now reading: The Unthinkable, The Age of Innocence
Recently read: 1491

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 10:55:00 AM »
Walked right into that one, he did...

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008, 10:55:41 AM »
Voted around 7:30am. No line.

Wondered what happened to the kid (16ish) whose dad asked for a Spanish ballot and was told all were in English.

Maybe now he'll realize why he needs to learn English.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008, 11:23:36 AM »
So how long does it take before we know who won? I've only voted once before, and I don't remember.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008, 11:24:28 AM »
So how long does it take before we know who won? I've only voted once before, and I don't remember.

It depends on how close it is.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 11:43:09 AM »
Polls opened at 0700 & I walked the 75m there with my kiddos at 0705.

SInce I was in a hurry to get the kids to school, I voted straight "R" despite my preference for the Libertarian in a couple races.  That plus the "No" vote on bonds for Parkland (county hospital that treats illegals in NON-EMERGENCY situations on my dime) made a total of two ovals I had to darken.

I was #25 at that polling place.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

ronnyreagan

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2008, 11:45:55 AM »
Oh crap! I though it was tomorrow! :laugh:
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2008, 11:52:18 AM »
Took me 15 min to vote last Wed.