Author Topic: Local Government Cutbacks: Cough Up the $$$, or the Library Gets It!  (Read 1889 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Last quarter saw -0.3% GNP growth.  It looks like we might get another and officially be in a recession.  Folks have cut back some purchases, leading to less revenue pulled in via sales taxes.

Toss on top of that falling real-estate values that eventually will bring in less real estate tax revenue.

This will lead to some local governments (to include school districts) trimming their budgets a bit. 

If they are true to form, the first thing put on the block will be items like library hours, park maintenance, street maint, trash pickup, etc.  The "solution" will be a bond package or increased tax rates to "save the library."

Next item usually placed on the chopping block is police & fire services: less overtime paid out, hiring freeze, staff cuts. 

The last thing to be considered is cuts to the government paper-pushers and one NEVER hears of doing things like closing vagrant shelters and the like.

From my perspective, they priorities are just about 180deg out of whack. 
1. Give-aways to non-taxpayers ought to be the very first thing axed, especially when they are largely used by folks who don't necessarily reside in the locality or are illegally in the USA. 
2. Cuts to the paper-pushers to remove some of the "gov't job security." 
3. Quality of life items like libraries, parks, etc.
4. Police & fire  depts should tighten their belts.
5. Trash & water services
6. Streets

If the locality was so foolish as to build convention venues and hotels, they ought to be sold off in order to bring the budget into balance.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Local Government Cutbacks: Cough Up the $$$, or the Library Gets It!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 01:19:12 PM »
Actually, the items they trim back are EXACTLY what the government wants to trim back.

They don't want to have to suffer in hard times. So, the first things they trim back are the highly visible items you mentioned.

As a result, people get the impression: Oh! the government is hurting for money, they can't pay for what I want!

Because people are uninformed, they are not aware that the government skipped cutting back on the non-essential and non-visible items.

So, the government is better able to put through tax increases (and/or bonds).

Keep in mind, the government will ALWAYS act in its own best interest- not in the interest of its citizens.

(Now imagine if a company did things like this to its stockholders. And Obama wants the government rather than the market deciding... well, anything?)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

ctdonath

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 01:28:33 PM »
Locally related: one item on the ballot was whether to spend $75M on a new county jail, paid for with bonds (translation: obligate future taxpayers to cough up $150M). While the county isn't threatening "...or the library gets it", the core theme was "new jail under our terms, or new jail under a judge's terms when he declares the old one uninhabitable/inhumane". Popular counter-argument was against putting it right next to (i.e.: 75 feet) a large dense neighborhood, and how cheap it is to just outsource incarceration to other counties.

Undiscussed was the notion that maybe the county should include new facilities in its standard budget, rather than unilaterally obliging future taxpayers ("well, ya see, we MUST pay off these old debts...").
Now reading: The Unthinkable, The Age of Innocence
Recently read: 1491

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 02:06:37 PM »
 :mad: :mad:

I would just love to see one local idiot pol  threaten us; "cough up the new tax $$$ or I will resign and not accept anymore paychecks!!!!"
 :O
It ain't gonna happen!!!

And the jerks can raze the &***^#@$% library for all I care.... :mad: :mad:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 04:07:15 PM »
. . . The last thing to be considered is cuts to the government paper-pushers  . . .
Most of which wouldn't be missed. I lived in MN when most state employees went on strike, and except for students at U of MN who had to stand in longer lines during registration, virtually nobody noticed. Trash kept getting picked up, prisoners stayed in jail, lights, water and sewer kept functioning, police, fire, and EMS stayed on the job, even the streets kept being maintained.

So . . . WHO exactly was on strike, and WHY did taxpayers need to cough up more money for them?

The strike was settled shortly after people on call-in radio shows began asking this question.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 04:10:52 PM »
Personally I've always felt that libraries are the ONLY reasonable dollars spent on education.
I say pull ALL federal funding of education as well as all personal property taxes.

Leave traditional schooling and education up to the free market and privatize it.  

Then have libraries as the only form of government funded education.

The premise being knowledge is there and free, you go get it and better yourself.
No excuses about the knowledge not being available or withheld.

Schools are simply a device to pay someone to instruct you on knowledge that is available for free.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 06:42:48 PM »
Next you'll be thinking that we ought to cut government salaries, lay off gov't workers, or trim back their COLAs or annual "merit raises."  What are you, some kind of fascist?  Gov't has become a middle class welfare system, nothing more.

And you have to get your priorties straight: the State budget, at least here in California, exists only to fuel the social welfare establishment, part of which is the education aka babysitting/reform school arm, and the continuing accommodation of our illegal alien influx.

Maybe you thought your taxes were for real services?  Funny.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.