Author Topic: "Mr. & Mrs. America, turn them all in."  (Read 25621 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: "Mr. & Mrs. America, turn them all in."
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 11:33:47 AM »
One of my coworkers, a Brit ex-pat and naturalized citizen, is absolutely shocked that the stock market isn't skyrocketing today in response to Obamamania. Stupid cow apparently actually believes that the only problem with the markets is the fact that the Republicans are in power, and once they're out things will right themselves quickly and on their own just because the Democrats are in power.

It's going to be a LOT of fun watching her brain melt over the next couple of months.

PLEASE document it for us.

I'm putting money on this: her mind will refuse to let go of "It's all Bush's fault!"
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 11:34:35 AM »
"Obama has tried to reach across the aisle with these wealth redistribution efforts to the middle class, but the damage done by Bush is too severe...businesses are attempting to move their operations overseas. Therefore, we need to nationalize X."

anygunanywhere

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008, 12:12:53 PM »
Wow.

There are some TRULY "gracious" winners here at the office today.

One of the plant operators here told me that one of the "gracious" winners was running off at the mouth about the rich white people finally getting their due. This from someone who pulled down >$100k last year.

So much for a friendly workplace.

Anygunanywhere

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2008, 12:27:35 PM »
One of my coworkers, a Brit ex-pat and naturalized citizen, is absolutely shocked that the stock market isn't skyrocketing today in response to Obamamania.

Interestingly, the AP National news had "Stock Markets Relatively Stable After Obama Election" while the Reuters Financial News had, "Stock Market Tumbles on Economic Fears".

I think there are very few analysts who believe Obama's stated policies will be good for the market. Reporters and "believers" are another matter...
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2008, 12:43:37 PM »
Interestingly, the AP National news had "Stock Markets Relatively Stable After Obama Election" while the Reuters Financial News had, "Stock Market Tumbles on Economic Fears".

I think there are very few analysts who believe Obama's stated policies will be good for the market. Reporters and "believers" are another matter...

The dow is down 321 and falling! But but but but but picking Obama was supposed to cue the Good Ending with the rainbows and happy music and the sun was supposed to shine and and and...

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2008, 12:49:47 PM »
I'd just remind them how well gun confiscations/control has worked in Northern Ireland...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2008, 01:00:37 PM »
I ended up choosing to leave the office rather than actually speak my mind. My department head actually requested we refrain from talking about politics but I seem to be the only one who complies with that request. =\

Same here...

1st thing the Director walked out onto the floor and told everyone from us managers, to supervisors to worker bees:

NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS EXCEPT ON BREAK OR WHILE AT LUNCH!

It is possible that he was overtly influenced to make his pronouncement by my having addressed him as Comrade Boss and suggesting that I'd be petitioning the great one to redistribute some of his wealth into my coffers based on his abilities and my needs.

He was mildly amused but not for long as one of the supervisors present asked if he could be addressed as comrade LITTLE Boss since the director was comrade Boss. One of the managers decided he should be addressed as comrade Boss if the supervisors were to be Little Boss and that the director should be Big Boss. About that time we could see his eyes rolling back in his head. A half hour later when the proles showed up he made his announcement. :D
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

HankB

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2008, 01:18:07 PM »
One of my coworkers, a Brit ex-pat and naturalized citizen, is absolutely shocked that the stock market isn't skyrocketing today in response to Obamamania.
Explain this to her: the current capital gains tax rate is 15%.

Obama wants to raise it to 30%.

Selling stock under Bush would let you keep 85% of the profits; sell it under Obama, and you'll only keep 70% of the profits.

So the stock is less valuable.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2008, 01:29:13 PM »
I ended up choosing to leave the office rather than actually speak my mind. My department head actually requested we refrain from talking about politics but I seem to be the only one who complies with that request. =\

I'm about ready to do the same. Everyone is gloating like there's no tomorrow and the boss is prancing around saying, "I don't have to move to Canada now!" They are sore losers AND sore winners. Typical "I'll hold my breath till I get what I want" kids.

I managed to keep my mouth shut from complaining through the Clinton administration and saying anything positive through the first 4 years of Bush, which I found adequate. There are actually rather strict rules about talking politics in Federal offices, but somehow they don't apply when it's positive talk about Democrats and negative talk about Republicans.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2008, 01:36:19 PM »
I'm about ready to do the same. Everyone is gloating like there's no tomorrow and the boss is prancing around saying, "I don't have to move to Canada now!" They are sore losers AND sore winners. Typical "I'll hold my breath till I get what I want" kids.

I managed to keep my mouth shut from complaining through the Clinton administration and saying anything positive through the first 4 years of Bush, which I found adequate. There are actually rather strict rules about talking politics in Federal offices, but somehow they don't apply when it's positive talk about Democrats and negative talk about Republicans.

Report em. Document the hell out of it and narc on em to HR.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2008, 01:55:33 PM »
Report em. Document the hell out of it and narc on em to HR.

Unfortunately I would only punish myself. The worst HR would do is send out an email, and they would then report up through my boss' boss' boss that I reported them. And guess who those guys voted for.

Our network got hit by a power outage from a blown transformer yesterday, and I spent all day not doing my regular job to fix stuff.  I was thinking of non-chalantly announcing today that it's good to see them all surfing their left wing blogs reading up on Obama, especially since it took a conservative with useful skills to fix things for them to be able to do that, since they have no useful skills.

This is all so Ayn Rand......

taurusowner

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2008, 02:00:20 PM »
Just don't fix it.  They want to take charge and run things, let them have at it.  As for me, I'm gonna sit back and watch them burn themselves to the ground.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2008, 02:02:04 PM »
I'm at home right now; I came home at 11 for early lunch so that I didn't choke someone.

As a graduate student I'm surrounded by Koreans, Indians, Israelis, and French. The American citizens that exist, of course, tend to lean left anyway. They are all ecstatic that Obama won. I was truly disgusted to the point of feeling physically ill.

I probably won't be spending much time at the office this week.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2008, 02:51:24 PM »
One of my coworkers, a Brit ex-pat and naturalized citizen, is absolutely shocked that the stock market isn't skyrocketing today in response to Obamamania. Stupid cow apparently actually believes that the only problem with the markets is the fact that the Republicans are in power, and once they're out things will right themselves quickly and on their own just because the Democrats are in power.

It's going to be a LOT of fun watching her brain melt over the next couple of months.

Last night I told my girlfriend to watch the stock today because I said they would drop, dramatically. They've dropped some 300 point so far today. That's not quite as dramatic as I had expected, but I think it will continue to drop.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2008, 03:29:13 PM »
Last night I told my girlfriend to watch the stock today because I said they would drop, dramatically. They've dropped some 300 point so far today. That's not quite as dramatic as I had expected, but I think it will continue to drop.

-400. The fundamentals SUCK. And Obama did not have a magic wand!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2008, 05:01:55 PM »
Obama did not have a magic wand!

Oh he has a wand, all right - just watch out where he is going to stick it  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

pappy

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2008, 06:55:02 PM »
Days like today sure make me glad I currently telecommute. =D

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2008, 07:30:31 PM »
Actually, I had to sell all of mine to keep paying my mortage.  Each and every one of them.  Economy is in the toilet, in case you haven't heard.

No, no paper trail.

I live in New Hampshire, and sold them all legally with cash and a handshake.

It was tough to see them go, but between the economy and the fact I have a yound child, I did it for the children, too.

What!? Why would I own those evil things!

No, those are replicas. You know, so I can see what they look like from Call of Duty?

One day at a time.

Zed

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2008, 07:45:54 PM »
One of the plant operators here told me that one of the "gracious" winners was running off at the mouth about the rich white people finally getting their due. This from someone who pulled down >$100k last year.

So much for a friendly workplace.

Anygunanywhere

Know the Feeling.

was installing $10,000 worth of draperies etc today & had the customer say much the same.

What planet are people like that Living on???
Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you would have peace, prepare for war.)

trapperready

• friend
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2008, 10:00:32 PM »
Both of my sisters voted for The One. When I talked with the oldest (a former honest-to-God hippie), she said that "Things have been pretty hard for me. Hopefully it will get better."

Out of politeness and a desire not to hack off my elderly mother with intra-family warfare, I did not point out that her neverending economic woes are a direct result of a multiple decades long string of poor choices and lack of willingness to accept many offers of assistance (i.e. free college education from my folks -- offered annually from age 18 through about 45). Nope, it's all George Bush's fault and dreamy Obama will fix it all.

The other sister is in even worse financial shape, but that's due to a series of truly moronic steps taken over the past 8 years.

Both of them created their own mess. Both of them view my wife and I as "fortunate" or "lucky", because we're doing well (let's just forget about the extremely hard work and making appropriate decisions along the way).

Morons.  :rolleyes:

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2008, 07:05:13 AM »
No sense getting huffy with O'Bamasupporters.  Reality will rudely impose itself, fairly quickly in my view.  O will fail to meet his acolytes' expectations.  He will fail to correct the dangerous trends in the economy.  He will at best get the appearance of progress in foreign policy away from Bush doctrine.  He will be suitably tested internationally.  All this reality and a lot more will continue to continue.  O will rapidly assume the outlines of Carter's and we know historically how well it worked out.  What O said he would do has no chance of success even if perchance some of it is implemented.  The man's campaign was disconnected from economic reality and that economic reality will largely determine what in his program is implemented. 

Attempting an overt assault on gun rights will merely stir up a nest of hornets he'd best leave alone.  I think an attack on gun rights will come through international agreements bypassing the messy process of political debate here in the US.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2008, 08:14:26 AM »
This is all so Ayn Rand

Yes, the looters are on their way! =D
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

anygunanywhere

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2008, 08:21:12 AM »

Attempting an overt assault on gun rights will merely stir up a nest of hornets he'd best leave alone.  I think an attack on gun rights will come through international agreements bypassing the messy process of political debate here in the US.

Shouldn't this stir up the same hornet's nest? Treaties must be ratified by congress. Whether by treaty or law any further infringements should not be tolerated.

Anygunanywhere

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2008, 09:09:15 AM »
In this I am fortunate.

I don't have to work with people like that. :)

Me neither.  I'm surrounded by religious fanatics in my office.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2008, 10:26:05 AM »
Me neither.  I'm surrounded by religious fanatics in my office.

They can be annoying, but tolerable, as long as they evince no plans to saw your head off in front of a video camera.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton