Author Topic: Will Obama have a "Jimmy Carter" moment?  (Read 8686 times)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Will Obama have a "Jimmy Carter" moment?
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
I don't think the MSM would ever not trash Palin. The hatred they spewed during this election shows that...

Jindal would get similar treatment.

No...he'd get worse...esp. after the Democrats "reform" the campaign process and resurrect the Fairness Doctrine....

The deck is being stacked as we speak....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

grey54956

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 10:47:37 PM »
Let the Dems pursue the Fairness Doctrine.  I would love to see NPR choke on conservative coverage.  Likewise, CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, etc...  They have a lot more to lose in MSM.  The talk radio shows might be inconvenienced, but not like the MSM.  They would have a collectiv(ist) anuerysm.
"There are no carefully crafted arguments here, just a sausage-chain of emotional crotch-grabs." - Longeyes

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye and see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -- Frank Herbert, Dune

nico

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008, 10:59:14 PM »
Let the Dems pursue the Fairness Doctrine.  I would love to see NPR choke on conservative coverage.  Likewise, CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, etc...  They have a lot more to lose in MSM.  The talk radio shows might be inconvenienced, but not like the MSM.  They would have a collectiv(ist) anuerysm.

That's assuming that the farness doctrine would be applied, well, fairly.  The dems aren't pushing for the fairness doctrine as a way to make the media more fair.  They're pushing for it as a way to give themselves an advantage. The dems control both houses of congress and the presidency; they'll be the ones deciding what's "fair" if the fairness doctrine becomes law in the next 4 years.  Not to mention, "equal time" is a lot easier to define when you're dealing with people who openly espouse political opinions.  It's not so easy when the punditry leaks into the "news" like it did during this campaign (and is now).

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2008, 11:30:41 PM »
Probably be somehow tied to Bush and Katrina.

Huh?  Jindal took the governor's office 3 years after Katrina hit.  He was in the House when Katrina hit, but that's a pretty tenuous connection.

Do you really think a large segment of the population would swallow that kind of connection?  I'm sure a few would (like some think Obama is an Arab Muslim) but enough to can a candidate?  I would hope not.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2008, 11:32:48 PM »

That's not how it would work and I'm tired of people imagining that the "Fairness Doctrine" standards would be ever enforced like that.

The MSM is always "Fair and Balanced" to the leftists. It's the hateful right wing talk radio and Fox News that will be affected by the "Fairness Doctrine". Don't delude yourself otherwise....
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 11:39:58 PM by Avenger29 »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

anygunanywhere

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2008, 08:55:56 AM »

The Fairness Doctrine would do nothing to force the leftist media to provide conservative programming. If it did then the left would not push it.

Anygunanywhere

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2008, 07:38:10 AM »
You have to speak up a bit...

You should have caught him at the polling places with all the other dead folks.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2008, 08:49:59 AM »
That's not how it would work and I'm tired of people imagining that the "Fairness Doctrine" standards would be ever enforced like that.

The MSM is always "Fair and Balanced" to the leftists. It's the hateful right wing talk radio and Fox News that will be affected by the "Fairness Doctrine". Don't delude yourself otherwise....

Yes.

"The thirty seconds of hateful speech presented by Michael Reagan will now be balanced by a half hour of Randi Rhodes' rebuttual."

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2008, 10:48:44 AM »
Probably be somehow tied to Bush and Katrina.

I have seen him treated very well whenever he is on the news networks.  If anything, he has gotten a lot of credit for his work in cleaning up the Katrina mess, which didn't happen on his watch. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it