Author Topic: The new 2010 Contract with America  (Read 13302 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
The new 2010 Contract with America
« on: November 05, 2008, 01:04:52 PM »
In 2010 congress can be replaced and a few senate seats also.

I am thinking that there needs to be the a first 120 days of action that will be brought up as bills if you vote for candidates that signed on the 2010 Contract with America.

What are some of your ideas to include in this document?

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
Re: The new 2010 Contract with America
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 01:31:44 PM »
I think a lot will depend on what Obama does.  If his spending policies tank (as they well should), then there needs to be something on fiscal responsibility.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 01:48:16 PM »

Banning gay marriage and abortion........

just kidding Charby  :lol:
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 02:26:22 PM »
Can they ban Charby? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 02:33:38 PM »
I think it all depends on if President Obama is the radical leftist we were warned about or the centrist that ran in the election.  We'll see.  I have my doubts, but I hope for the best. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

stjeanp

• My Website
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 02:39:19 PM »

I am thinking that there needs to be the a first 120 days of action that will be brought up as bills if you vote for candidates that signed on the 2010 Contract with America.

What I'd like to see?

1. Repeal the patriot act

2. Fix the damned AMT once and for all.  Set it to an inflation adjusted value it should have been at and then peg it to inflation (like it SHOULD have been in the first place) so we don't have this drama every year

3. Ensure net neutrality

4. Real penalties for hiring illegals (AZ has some, and it seems to be working)

5. Real opportunities for immigration, because after all, we're all immigrants.  Otherwise we'd be speaking Cherokee or something.

6. Banking, where to start.  Seriously.  It's a mess.  Better oversight, which means better regulation of collateralized debt obligations, credit default swaps, etc.

That's a start, comments, suggestions?

Pat

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 03:00:10 PM »

Fiscal responsibility.  That entails killing corporate welfare, farm subsidies, pork projects, etc.  Set up a schedule for dealing with the national debt.

Minor:
Repeal the excesses of executive branch (signing statements, et al)
Repeal the DHS
Repeal the TSA
Repeal the FISA amendment
Repeal the PATRIOT Act
Repeal SOX
Rewrite the Arms Export Control Act and other controls dealing with ITAR
Smacking the USAF brass, can the worst projects and reshape their priorities

Authorize the GAO to audit every agency or department for recommendations for eliminating fraud, waste and abuse, as well as making recommendations for efficiency improvements or cost reductions.  Have someone (or better, multiple unbiased experts) review the findings to recommend approving or denying the recommendations.  Give the departments 90 days to fix the findings.  If the findings are not fixed within 90 days, fire the head of the department or agency.  Every 7 days afterwards, fire the subordinates down the line until it's fixed.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

nate.45

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 03:01:42 PM »
Banking, where to start.  Seriously.  It's a mess.  Better oversight, which means better regulation of collateralized debt obligations, credit default swaps, etc.

Abolish the Federal Reserve.
忍者

stjeanp

• My Website
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 03:16:17 PM »
Abolish the Federal Reserve.

Oh please don't tell me you want to go back on a gold standard.  That's bad because if your economy grows faster than the production of gold, what happens?

Or local banks all printing their own currency.  That insanity was best left in the early 20th century.  International exchange rates are bad enough, I'd hate to have to check on each possible bank before accepting a note...

nate.45

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 03:39:47 PM »
Oh please don't tell me you want to go back on a gold standard.

A gold standard is not necessary, credit money could be used, as long as it was issued at no interest by the government instead of at interest by the private banks of the Federal Reserve. Look at what the Fed and the creation of money from debt + interest has gotten us so far.

These charts are old its even worse now.

忍者

stjeanp

• My Website
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 03:46:08 PM »
A gold standard is not necessary, credit money could be used, as long as it was issued at no interest by the government instead of at interest by the private banks of the Federal Reserve. Look at what the Fed and the creation of money from debt + interest has gotten us so far.

These charts are old its even worse now.

Well...  I'm the MIS guy, but in talking to a friend who's about done with her MBA, inflation isn't always a bad thing, in fact deflation is worse unless you get into Wiemar style hyperinflation...

As for credit money, that's what we've got right now.  It's not like that piece of paper is actually worth a buck, it's just the government's promise that it is...

You just want to cut out the 12 middlemen, right?

Pat

nate.45

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 04:00:15 PM »
You just want to cut out the 12 middlemen, right?

Exactly, why should we pay interest to private banks on money the government is supposed to create?

The Federal Reserve consists of 12 regional banks, the stock of which is owned and the Boards controlled by the member banks, which are privately owned bank corporations. These institutions receive 6% profit on their funds paid into the Fed, rain or shine, peace or war (sometimes more). Why should the people continue to let private banks collect interest for basically doing nothing?

The Fed was deliberately designed to appear as a sort of government body to hide the fact that it is a private banking cartel whose member banks share in the vast profits of seigniorage (i.e., the difference between the cost of printing/minting or otherwise creating money [a few cents per $100], and its face value). Yes, the Department of the Treasury does still mint our coins (at the US mint) but that represents under 1% of the US money supply, the great bulk of which is simply bankbook entries - electronic keyboard impulses in computer memories - created by banks on-the-spot to fund loans they make in response to loans applications their "customers" submit (hence the competition by banks for your loan applications and credit card borrowing).

Its never going to happen though our politicians are too deep in the pockets of the bankers, they won a long time ago and things aren't going to change, at least not for the better.
忍者

stjeanp

• My Website
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 04:09:52 PM »
Exactly, why should we pay interest to private banks on money the government is supposed to create?

The Federal Reserve consists of 12 regional banks, the stock of which is owned and the Boards controlled by the member banks, which are privately owned bank corporations. These institutions receive 6% profit on their funds paid into the Fed, rain or shine, peace or war (sometimes more). Why should the people continue to let private banks collect interest for basically doing nothing?

I don't know enough about the structure to comment fully, suffice it to say that you can't just get rid of them.  There's still a need for a central bank.  If you're talking about just reforming the system, sure, I can go along with that.  But getting rid of the central bank is really bad... :)

Pat

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 04:12:50 PM »
Implement a zero base-line budgeting process for the annual Federal Budget.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

stjeanp

• My Website
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 04:17:35 PM »
Implement a zero base-line budgeting process for the annual Federal Budget.

Oh, and one more that I left off, since we've gotten into wishful thinking as opposed to things which we could actually run on.

Implement a rule forcing all bills to be germane.  No more riders!!!!!!!!!!!

Pat

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 04:19:26 PM »
Oh, and one more that I left off, since we've gotten into wishful thinking as opposed to things which we could actually run on.

Pat

The end of omnibus bills!!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 04:35:25 PM »

Pat

Definitely needs to be in the contract.

Uranus is a gas giant.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 04:55:59 PM »
What I'd like to see?

1. Repeal the patriot act
There are some minor things in the Patriot Act that need tweaking but for the most part its not anywhere near as bad as it is made out to be. Its not a political hotbed that needs to be addressed as a manifesto.

2. Fix the damned AMT once and for all.  Set it to an inflation adjusted value it should have been at and then peg it to inflation (like it SHOULD have been in the first place) so we don't have this drama every year
Just get rid of it and put in a flat tax. Get rid of all deductions, exemptions, credits, etc., except:

exemption for self and spouse (say $10,000 each)
exemption for each dependent (say 75% of the spouse and personal exemption)
extra dependent exemption for each person in the household over 65, handicapped, or blind
exemption for mortgage interest NTE the value of a dependent exemption

IRAs, 401k, remains as is.

That way a family of four making $35,000 or less pays no federal income tax at all. If they have a mortgage, they can make $42,500 and owe no federal income taxes. A retired couple making $35,000 a year pays no federal income tax.

Index the exemption amount for inflation.

Set the tax rate to whatever it has to be to pay the bills.

Death tax. $10,000,000 per estate exemption. 35% on the rest. No generation skipping trusts, no nonsense. You can pass on to your spouse without tax liability.

Exclude part of capital gains from sale of residence. NTE $1,000 per full month that you actually lived in it. Applies only to primary residence.

3. Ensure net neutrality
No idea what this means. I am guessing it has something to do with the Internet.

4. Real penalties for hiring illegals (AZ has some, and it seems to be working)
Criminal penalties. I am thinking 60 days in the federal pen for each illegal you knowingly hired.

5. Real opportunities for immigration, because after all, we're all immigrants.  Otherwise we'd be speaking Cherokee or something.
Agreed. A few things.

Must speak fluent English.
No more asylum cases.
Must be at least high school level educated.
Must apply at a US embassy or consulate in their native country.
No special country quotas.
Selected by order of desirability based on employability in jobs we need help in.
Must undergo criminal and security check. If there is no practical way to do that in their country, they stay there.

Temporary worker visa could be granted by US embassy or consulate in the home country for a period of time NTE 12 months for jobs not able to be filled by US citizens. Not renewable in US. Must return to home country for at least 30 days to renew.

6. Banking, where to start.  Seriously.  It's a mess.  Better oversight, which means better regulation of collateralized debt obligations, credit default swaps, etc.
Actually, the banks are not the problem so much as investment banks. Which are really not banks. The US government all but ordered lenders to make loans to people who could not repay them. That is not a banking problem. Get the government out of the lending business.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 04:57:09 PM »

Pat
How about a 30 day cooling off period after a bill is passed before it is sent to the president? That way you could actually read it and figure out what was in it.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

stjeanp

• My Website
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 05:07:31 PM »
How about a 30 day cooling off period after a bill is passed before it is sent to the president? That way you could actually read it and figure out what was in it.

The problem with that is that without the requirement to keep bills germane you're stuck with the previously mentioned "omnibus" nonsense.

I doubt any of them could get through one of those in 30 days, with the requirement that they understand all of it.

Oh!

Wait, I see what you did there.

Well played, sir...

Pat

nate.45

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 05:21:08 PM »
So lets suppose they come up with a dream list of conservative ideas, are they going to actually implement them?

Lets take something simple all can relate to, the tax system. What exactly did the reps do to fix the tax system in the six years they controlled congress? Nothing, the only thing they did was implement a modest tax cut and contrary to all conservative principles spend like there was no tomorrow.

Now we are working on a new platform? We are supposed to believe any of these ideas would actually be implemented?

If there is in hope at all we are going to need new leaders, because the current crop was more that satisfied to go along with the old system and fill their pockets. Instead of doing the will of their conservative base.
忍者

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 05:31:26 PM »
Some of my ideas:

Welfare recipients will be part of a random drug test to collect aid, minimum of one test per year. If drug test is failed aid will not be issued and minor children will be taken custody by human services.

$1000 per hour per illegal worker hour fine to companies that knowingly hire illegal workers.

Uranus is a gas giant.

stjeanp

• My Website
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 06:03:09 PM »
There are some minor things in the Patriot Act that need tweaking but for the most part its not anywhere near as bad as it is made out to be. Its not a political hotbed that needs to be addressed as a manifesto.

Yeah, that whole secret proceedings, can't talk about it to anyone thing for one...

No idea what this means. I am guessing it has something to do with the Internet.

Yup.  Basically don't want AT&T making me pay more to visit Google versus MS's search when they sign a deal.  Bits is bits, I pay for the pipe and should be able to hit anything I want without the carrier having a say.

Criminal penalties. I am thinking 60 days in the federal pen for each illegal you knowingly hired.

AZ pulls the business license.  That's about as close to the death penalty as you can get for corporate entities.

Must speak fluent English.
No more asylum cases.
Must be at least high school level educated.
Must apply at a US embassy or consulate in their native country.
No special country quotas.
Selected by order of desirability based on employability in jobs we need help in.
Must undergo criminal and security check. If there is no practical way to do that in their country, they stay there.

I might be a little more favorable to asylum, but it'd be HARD to get.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 06:39:16 PM »

Pat

I like it, but then who gets to decide what is germane?  The President?  The Courts?  Congress?
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

stjeanp

• My Website
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 06:42:52 PM »
I like it, but then who gets to decide what is germane?  The President?  The Courts?  Congress?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm talking down to you, it's not my intention.

Germane means that the entire bill must stick to the subject, so for example, a defense authorization bill couldn't have a rider for farm subsidies because it's not germane.

Texas's legislature has the requirement and does well with it.  So it is possible.

Pat