Author Topic: The new 2010 Contract with America  (Read 13303 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: The new 2010 Contract with America
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 07:05:47 PM »
1:  School vouchers.

2:  Eliminate the gawdawful mark-to-market accounting rules.  At the very least, build in some flexibility to allow for times when there is no market to mark to.  Perhaps allow banks to switch to a cash flow basis for valuing assets they can't or won't sell.

3:  Kill the capital gains tax.  Eliminate it completely.  0%.  Reduce corporate taxes until they're in line with the rest of the industrialized world.

4:  Allow people to opt out of things like social security, medicaid/medicare, and unemployment.

5:  Make it a crime to offer publicly funded services to non-citizens.  Jail any public employee who willfully violates this.

6:  Invalidate every executive order pertaining to firearms.

7:  Find some reasonable to deal with captured terrorists.  Putting foreign terrorists through criminal courts is folly.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 08:45:05 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 07:06:58 PM »
Are we aiming this at Republicans or conservatives, or no one in particular? 

If this is aimed at conservatives, "Repeal the Patriot Act" is not going to work as a selling point.  Many conservatives will see that as weak-on-defense-giving-Const.-rights-to-terrorists and will balk pretty hard.  Better to point out specific problems with the Patriot Act that need "reforming."  On the other hand, conservatives may re-evaluate the act, given our current President. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

stjeanp

• My Website
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008, 07:24:53 PM »
Are we aiming this at Republicans or conservatives, or no one in particular? 

If this is aimed at conservatives, "Repeal the Patriot Act" is not going to work as a selling point.  Many conservatives will see that as weak-on-defense-giving-Const.-rights-to-terrorists and will balk pretty hard.  Better to point out specific problems with the Patriot Act that need "reforming."  On the other hand, conservatives may re-evaluate the act, given our current President. 

If I'm considered weak on defense for disliking something with so many secret provisions that it might as well have been writting with the KGB in mind, then so be it.

Yes, there are changes to surveillance laws which need to be made but that act is not the way to go.  Secret courts approving secret warrants to detain indefinitely terrorism suspects without trial is unconstitutional.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2008, 08:31:10 PM »
Term Limits too.

No more than 3 terms total for House

No more than 2 terms total for Senate
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2008, 12:55:52 AM »
If I'm considered weak on defense for disliking something with so many secret provisions that it might as well have been writting with the KGB in mind, then so be it.

Yes, there are changes to surveillance laws which need to be made but that act is not the way to go.  Secret courts approving secret warrants to detain indefinitely terrorism suspects without trial is unconstitutional.

You missed the point.  I'm not defending the Patriot Act.  I'm saying that this Contract isn't going to sell very well to conservatives, if it includes language like "repeal the Patriot Act."  The smart way to go is to educate the audience by pointing out specific provisions that are bad, and propose changes that will respect civil liberties, while still providing for the common defense.  It might even be best to make those changes secondary to new, Constitutional measures to tighten security. 

And again, that's assuming conservatives are the target audience.  Promises to repeal the Patriot Act could be a real selling point with other groups.  And of course, conservatives might well sour on the Patriot Act, with Democrats in charge. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

stjeanp

• My Website
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2008, 03:12:35 AM »
You missed the point.  I'm not defending the Patriot Act.  I'm saying that this Contract isn't going to sell very well to conservatives, if it includes language like "repeal the Patriot Act."  The smart way to go is to educate the audience by pointing out specific provisions that are bad, and propose changes that will respect civil liberties, while still providing for the common defense.  It might even be best to make those changes secondary to new, Constitutional measures to tighten security. 

And again, that's assuming conservatives are the target audience.  Promises to repeal the Patriot Act could be a real selling point with other groups.  And of course, conservatives might well sour on the Patriot Act, with Democrats in charge. 

Ah!  Gotcha.

You're probably right, and I'm a little tired from being up all night fixing server issues, so I may be a little fuzzy here.

Let me amend my position from "repeal the patriot act" to "remove the secrecy provisions from the patriot act so that we don't inadvertently create a secret police force".

Pat

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2008, 11:50:28 AM »
I'm saying that this Contract isn't going to sell very well to conservatives, if it includes language like "repeal the Patriot Act."

Ok, let me rephrase.  "Remove President Obama's ability to wiretap US citizens without a papertrail and with minimal to no oversight or accountability".

The FISA Amendments also specifically legalizes shredding parties if anyone comes knocking with a court order.  No, I'm not kidding.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2008, 03:30:30 PM »
1. "None Of The Above" is to a be a choice on every Federal ballot. If NOTA wins, the losing candidates are prohibited from taking any position with the government for a term equal to that of the office they were campaigning for. Another election is to be held within 3 months, paid for entirely by the parties that fielded losing candidates. The two major parties shall ALWAYS be billed; a minor party unable or unwilling to pay shall not have a place on the next ballot.

2. Except in times of declared war, acts of war on US soil, and major natural disaster, the total Federal budget is to be limited to either a) a fixed percentage of the GDP, or b) the average of the previous four year's actual receipts, whichever is smaller.

3. Regardless of 2) above, in no year shall increases in Federal budget expenditures  exceed the product of annual citizen population growth and official inflation rate, with exceptions for declared war, acts of war on US soil, and major natural disaster.

4. No Federal law shall dictate how the States spend their money, nor shall unelected bureaucrats have the ability to withold designated monies from the States for any reason.

5. The Interstate Commerce Clause shall never apply unless a given product physically moves across state lines during the course of a sale, or for purposes of resale as part of an established business.

6. Suits may be filed and prosecuted under "Truth in Advertising" laws against politicians when campaign promises are broken by those politicians.

7. A Constitutionality Commisson shall be created to review all pending legislation for compliance with the U.S. Constitution. No Federal legislation shall be brought up for a vote prior to a Constitutionality Impact Statement confirming that the legislation is in all particulars within the powers expliticly granted to the Federal government by the Constitution. Each individual line item dealing with expenditures shall be separately vetted.

8. Make it a crime to offer publicly funded services to non-citizens.  Jail any public employee who willfully violates this. (thanks to HTG for this suggestion.)

9. All votes on all legislation shall be roll-call votes. Except in times of illness, family emergency, and the like, failure to vote "Yea" or "Nay" on a bill shall result in a pro-rated reduction in the legislator's salary.

10. Civil lawsuits at Federal level shall go to a "loser pays" system, except in the case of a lawsuit against the government which is dismissed prior to rendering of a jury verdict.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2008, 05:09:32 AM »
9. All votes on all legislation shall be roll-call votes. Except in times of illness, family emergency, and the like, failure to vote "Yea" or "Nay" on a bill shall result in a pro-rated reduction in the legislator's salary.

Add thirty lashes per offense, and we'll have a good start.

While we're at it, I want a toilet that uses more water per flush than Hoover Dam.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2008, 08:46:56 AM »
Before worrying about a 2010 contract with America, the Republicans need to figure out a way to effectively fight off the democrats' 2009 contract on America, as detailed on change.gov.

Don't care

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2008, 09:13:10 AM »
In no particular order:

Make sense of the TSA CAPPS and CAPPS II. A name one shares with a potential terrorist or criminal shouldn't take multiple hoops to jump through for the ordinary citizen to get off the no-fly list.

Pass a true Bipartisan Campaign Finance Reform law, as opposed to the joke of the current McCain-Feingold one in place now.

Pass term limits for both houses Congress.

Make federal regulations for firearms, in lock-step with federal law. By law, a firearm may be brought upon most federal properties for hunting and all other lawful purposes, there is not a reason why some bureaucrat should be able to overrule matters of law.

Truly limit gifts and other gratuities from lobbyist to all government officials @ $5 a year. If Doctors can't accept high priced gifts from the drug companies anymore, there's no need for Washington to accept them either.

Get the BATFE off the backs of law abiding gun dealerships and gun show sponsors. Someone abbreviating their state of residence on Form 4473, shouldn't be deciding factor to close down or unnecessarily impose a fine upon otherwise law abiding people.

Eliminate the bulk of the IRS and pass a fair tax system that can incorporate all the needed information on a postcard. Everyone is supposed to pay taxes to support their government, even if it's just $1. I apologize for deleting the positions of all Tax Accountants, Tax Lawyers, and Tax Preparers out there, but a position to otherwise fight the government shouldn't be productive to society.

JBURGII

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2008, 09:02:43 PM »

While we're at it, I want a toilet that uses more water per flush than Hoover Dam.

Although I have heard a lot of exellent suggestions here.. a lot of common sense..  I have GOT to admit my ears perked up at the high volume toilet act of 2010. What wastes more. One high volume flush or ten ineffective water saving micro flushes?

When I flush, I want to actually feel the air vacate the room.. !!

Um.. also I am on board with saving America with all of the other fine ideas..  =D

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2008, 09:38:09 PM »
It's not a flush unless the final thundering swirl of water may be felt in the structure of the room.

I have heard that the trade in black market high-flush toilets in CA is quite high. That if an old 1950's bungalow is to be renovated or such, people show up immediately to buy the toilet.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2008, 09:11:44 PM »
Repeal the 17th Amendment.  Make senators employees of their respective states. 

Eliminate all career trapping for senators and representatives.

Eliminate withholding of federal taxes from wages.  Require every taxpayer to write a check for government every pay cycle.

Eliminate the Federal Reserve and make the federal government perform its constitutional duties.

Implement a vigorous program of legislative rollback.

Flat rate tax. 

Reform campaign financing by eliminating all limitations on donations but implementing instant and total transparency.  Post campaign checkbooks on the web.  All campaigns required to detail source of funds and use of funds.  Banks are in the perfect position of maintain the database and website.

Bust up the bATFE.  Taxing duties spun off to the IRS.  Criminal investigations to to the FBI.  Regulation writing to voluntary standards organizations.  Regulation enforcement to a place to be determined.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 09:17:46 PM by Waitone »
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2008, 11:23:42 PM »
HankB's list is great.  I see plenty of things in it that can save this country that almost anyone should be able to agree to.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

BigStick

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2008, 05:01:49 PM »
7. A Constitutionality Commisson shall be created to review all pending legislation for compliance with the U.S. Constitution. No Federal legislation shall be brought up for a vote prior to a Constitutionality Impact Statement confirming that the legislation is in all particulars within the powers expliticly granted to the Federal government by the Constitution. Each individual line item dealing with expenditures shall be separately vetted.
This sounds like a good idea in theory but it would be a disaster in practice. This commission would basically be a junior supreme court and its effectiveness would depend on the views of the people serving on the commission. In the hands of unprincipled bureaucrats/politicians it would just be another way to kill legislation that they didn't agree with.

I love the motivation behind suggesting it though. Congress critters have no respect for our constitution anymore.

BigStick

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2008, 06:17:14 PM »
Lots of cool ideas in this thread. But I question whether a new Contract with America would do any good. When the previous contract was put forth in 1994, Democrats had controlled congress for decades. In 2010, it will be only 2 years since the American people gave Republicans the boot. I don't think their memories are quite that short. The Obama administration would have to be a complete disaster in order for the Republicans to regain power. Even if Obamas policies result in another Great Depression, the mainstream media will keep spinning the news to protect their messiah while at the same time pinning the blame on Republicans: "It took Bush 8 years to destroy our economy. It can't be fixed in only [2/4/6] years!".

HankB

• friend
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2008, 08:54:24 AM »
This sounds like a good idea in theory but it would be a disaster in practice. This commission would basically be a junior supreme court and its effectiveness would depend on the views of the people serving on the commission. In the hands of unprincipled bureaucrats/politicians it would just be another way to kill legislation that they didn't agree with. I love the motivation behind suggesting it though. Congress critters have no respect for our constitution anymore.

Is it more likely that any pending legislation is going to do something for us . . . or to us?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2008, 09:21:35 AM »
This sounds like a good idea in theory but it would be a disaster in practice. This commission would basically be a junior supreme court and its effectiveness would depend on the views of the people serving on the commission. In the hands of unprincipled bureaucrats/politicians it would just be another way to kill legislation that they didn't agree with.

I love the motivation behind suggesting it though. Congress critters have no respect for our constitution anymore.

Actually, I think what you point out is just fine.  I think it should be incredibly difficult to pass federal laws anyway, but then again that's just me.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

BigStick

« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2008, 03:17:34 PM »
Actually, I think what you point out is just fine.  I think it should be incredibly difficult to pass federal laws anyway, but then again that's just me.
I would be happy with fewer federal laws & regulations too. But my point is that the commission could be used to kill legislation based on partisan views. Not equally across the board.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2008, 08:47:24 PM »
Lots of good ideas here.  Too bad folks like us don't get involved in running for office.

I'll add a couple.

1.  Federal income tax:  Make it a flat tax with no exemptions except for personal exemptions and everybody pays some tax, even those who, for some reason, are on some sort of welfare.  The only way everybody buys into the notion of America is through participation.   

2.  Every federal law that requires the appropriation of tax money to be spent must have a mandatory sunset clause in 7 years.  The law can only be re-passed after a review by citizen board chosen by lot and then re-passed by a 2/3 majority of the legislature.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2008, 08:52:37 PM »
1.  Federal income tax:  Make it a flat tax with no exemptions except for personal exemptions and everybody pays some tax, even those who, for some reason, are on some sort of welfare.  The only way everybody buys into the notion of America is through participation.

Fair Tax

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2008, 09:40:58 PM »
For every new law passed two existing laws must be repealed. (Like that will ever happen, but one can believe in hope and hope for change to believe in).
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2008, 01:45:29 AM »
1.  Federal income tax:  Make it a flat tax with no exemptions except for personal exemptions and everybody pays some tax, even those who, for some reason, are on some sort of welfare.

Noooo!

I thought like this for a long time, but have come around to a more progressive tax system however I support something more inline with what was being floated around the time the 16th was ratified.

The top 1% of the population pay 1% of their income above what 99% make in taxes.  You could maybe convince me that we need the top 5% to pay 5% of their higher income in taxes, but that's about it.

Historically we started using the income tax to pay for serious wars.  It makes sense to me to have the higher income bracket be the only people to actually pay for our defenses because they're the ones benefiting the most from America being a free and sovereign nation.  Our government protects us all, but they have the most to gain keeping America as it is which warrants an income tax on them, or me, if I ever get there.

The working class don't really have a financial reason in keeping America sovereign.  We could be absorbed by Canada or another European nation and not much would change, really.  Sure, I'd be first in line whining about the new taxes and such, but it wouldn't change things all that much financially. 

Of course this would require a drastic reduction in the scope of the Federal government (smaller IRS, no DEA, DHS is out the door, we can keep the FBI, DOE is gone, EPA is too, etc.) but I'm OK with that.

Can you imagine what that kind of tax policy would result in?  Suddenly expensive electric-only automobiles become available to the working class.  Now auto makers that sell to the US have a new market unlike any other in the world.  We could afford that crap!  We'd use our dollars to "vote" for the best solutions and reduce our foreign oil imports.  Development in all markets would pick up because we'd actually be able to pay for these new products, America becomes the home of innovation again, and we reclaim our title as the most innovative country in the world.