Author Topic: Universal Health Care  (Read 20259 times)

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
Re: Universal Health Care
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2008, 05:58:40 PM »
Im giving a speech on why it is not the answer. I honestly know very little about the subject. Anyone have some suggestions on where to start or some good sites/articles?

Thanks,
Chris

Don't you think you should learn a bit about the subject before you make up your mind either way?
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

crawdaddyjim

• Alien
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2008, 11:49:51 PM »
Don't you think you should learn a bit about the subject before you make up your mind either way?

Maybe, just maybe it is a debate and his side has negative??

And wouldn't tapping the nexus of APS be just like taking a college course in the economics of healthcare worldwide?

And even in your quote of the OP he states that he is looking for links and direction to material information on the subject.

Now back to the OP.

Try these links:
http://www.cato.org/subtopic_display_new.php?topic_id=80&ra_id=6
http://www.heritage.org/LeadershipForAmerica/health-care.cfm

What passes for healthcare in the US is more akin to a GSE. We have a monstrously regulated industry that is paid for by another monstrously regulated industry. Insurance companies have huge lobbies in Washington just so they can control the industry. The big insurance companies have no problem meeting all of the required paper trails. But a start up company would be swamped and bankrupted quickly. Unless they could start up with a massive amount of capital. Even then there would be years of red ink. A true free market solution would be less expensive and more efficient. Just look to the Nip and Tuck trade.

As for those that feel we need to be compassionate toward the less able. That is what charity is for. The Shriners hospital is a shining example. I suggest you make a donation yearly. I do.

Jim
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 11:55:04 PM by crawdaddyjim »

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2008, 11:57:28 PM »
What do you think he's trying to do here?

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2008, 12:08:28 AM »
What do you think he's trying to do here?

He did say clearly what his answer was from the beginning-so it didn't appear he was trying to make up his mind. 

Interesting and relevant article I saw today:  http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/1384125.html

Some highlights: 
He appealed his insurance company's denial. He changed jobs to try to improve his coverage. He was told yes, then no just days before Hu would have operated.

"I said screw it, I'm just going to do it and file bankruptcy, but the hospital wanted $50,000 down" on the $105,000 treatment, King said.

Ultimately, after months of Internet research and hiring MedRetreat, a medical travel organizer, he traveled in January to Gleneagles hospital in Malaysia.

The bill – surgery, hospitalization, hotels and airfare for himself, his partner and his mother – came to $27,000. King borrowed from relatives and his 401(k).

Most striking: 
It isn't just lower pay for all those doctors and nurses and hospital construction workers that keep costs low in places such as Malaysia. Even supplies are cheaper. The exact same two disks that were placed in King's spine, at a cost of $3,200 each, are priced at $11,000 each in the United States.

I've noticed something in my years of traveling abroad:  If you want a flashy consumer good, like a hugo boss suit or a rolex, it's difficult to find any place in the world where said flashy consumer good is cheaper and more available than the United States.

But if you want to see a decent doctor, and just show up to get some problem treated, it's hard to find any place in the world where the bill would be more outrageous if you just showed up and tried to pay on your own.  I saw a doc for a minor problem (needed some pills, that's all) in Singapore...15 singapore dollars, just walked in off the street, paid, and was done.

A visiting friend saw a doc in the US for a similar problem, and of course was billed directly so she could take it up with her own insurance abroad.....the bill, for basically the same service?  $900 U.S.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2008, 10:31:59 AM »
It isn't just lower pay for all those doctors and nurses and hospital construction workers that keep costs low in places such as Malaysia. Even supplies are cheaper. The exact same two disks that were placed in King's spine, at a cost of $3,200 each, are priced at $11,000 each in the United States.
I don't know if it is the case in this instance, but it is not unusual for medical manufacturers in the US to provide no or low cost drugs and medical equipment to countries like Malaysia and increase prices in the US to compensate.

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2008, 11:21:30 AM »
I don't know if it is the case in this instance, but it is not unusual for medical manufacturers in the US to provide no or low cost drugs and medical equipment to countries like Malaysia and increase prices in the US to compensate.

You got it. Here's one example:

My company (a *major* device maker) continues to make a certain medical device *only* because France requires us. If we don't France will not allow us to sell *any* of our other devices within France.

The device in question costs us about $90k to manufacture; France pays only about $43k for it.

How do you think that we make-up the loss?

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.