Author Topic: Change.gov  (Read 30206 times)

taurusowner

Re: Change.gov
« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2008, 05:10:19 PM »
It doesn't matter how positive one of the results might be.  Coercing public service from teenagers, outside raising an army, is not within the Federal Government's authority.  End of story.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2008, 05:12:07 PM »
belonging to nhs is voluntary  you gotta do the service to get in  check out the studies that link the service to all that nasty civic responsibility
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2008, 05:13:11 PM »
Manditory voluntery service seams to be ironically fitting for pubic sckools.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2008, 05:14:22 PM »
ummm to the best of my knowledge none of my examples
 have anything to do with the federal gov   what story are you playing in?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2008, 05:15:48 PM »
I'm fully aware of NHS requirements (gee, wonder how  ;/ ).

Again, that is voluntary membership.

In your second post study, the "mandatory" nature was at the local school board if not individual HS level.

Saying that the federal govt will be anywhere near as responsive to local or parental concerns as a School district or PTA driven program is BS and you know it.

Again, there is nothing you've posted to support Federal required community service, which is the topic at hand.

change.gov?

Pres-elect Obama's plan for federally driven mandatory service?

That's the story being discussed.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

taurusowner

« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2008, 05:17:10 PM »
I'm not talking about your examples.  I'm talking about Obama, as part of the Federal gov, mandating community service.  He simply doesn't have the authority to do so.  Neither does Congress, SCOTUS, or any other Federal office.  It doesn't matter how good community service might be for people.  Federal coercion to perform said community service is outside of their Constitutional mandate, and thus illegal.

• friends
« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2008, 05:55:14 PM »
its easy for me to say this now but some type of required service hasn't historically been what folks seem so afraid of.the draft here and in other places as examples.  it seems mb's service in israel left gis ability for independent thought intact.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2008, 06:02:51 PM »
Draft is Constitutional, others are not.

Compulsion by government is bad regardless.

That should be the end of the story.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2008, 06:03:05 PM »
its easy for me to say this now but some type of required service hasn't historically been what folks seem so afraid of.the draft here and in other places as examples.  it seems mb's service in israel left gis ability for independent thought intact.

Speaking of which, I thought mandatory military service was fairly uncommon in the world.  This map is pretty interesting:

██ No armed forces
██ No draft (voluntary army/professional army)
██Draft, scheduled to be abolished in the near future as in > 3 years
██Draft
██No information

(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Conscription_map_of_the_world.svg)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2008, 06:52:25 PM »
Speaking of which, I thought mandatory military service was fairly uncommon in the world.  This map is pretty interesting:

██ No armed forces
██ No draft (voluntary army/professional army)
██Draft, scheduled to be abolished in the near future as in > 3 years
██Draft
██No information

(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Conscription_map_of_the_world.svg)

Hmmmmm Greenland is ripe for the picking by a bunch of well armed Anti-Pirate hunters upon their retirement from clearing the horn of Africa of Pirate Scum.....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #110 on: November 12, 2008, 07:22:30 PM »
Hmmmmm Greenland is ripe for the picking by a bunch of well armed Anti-Pirate hunters upon their retirement from clearing the horn of Africa of Pirate Scum.....

He who hunts pirates should take care he does not become a pirate.  When you look into the "yarrrr" the "yarrrr" also looks into you.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #111 on: November 12, 2008, 11:17:39 PM »
Hmmmmm Greenland is ripe for the picking by a bunch of well armed Anti-Pirate hunters

*scribbles note*

Well, we got something to talk about at the next Ron Paul meetup now!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #112 on: November 13, 2008, 12:04:43 AM »
He who hunts pirates should take care he does not become a pirate.  When you look into the "yarrrr" the "yarrrr" also looks into you.

Just say you're librating Greenland from the yoke of oppressive Danish rule.   
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #113 on: November 13, 2008, 01:56:30 AM »
Ok, a couple things here...

1.  C&SD doesn't get it, and probably never will, no matter how much we try to educate him in the folly thereof.

2.  As mentioned earlier in this 5-page thread, he's gone over to deliberately playing dense. Even I can see that.

3. Thread drift has pretty much turned this into another dread APS pirate yarrrnnn.

That's all she wrote, folks.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"